1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2021 | Round 15 | COTA | USA | Oct 1-3

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 20, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Considering the weather when they built the track, they experienced heavy rainfall. If similar conditions happen, there would be no way for them to repave that entire section of T2-11 over the winter. So I wonder if they would truly cancel the only American round next year.

2. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Id be happy for a venue change. Unfortunately, its one of the only ones that can have GP so if Penske isnt for it we are SOL until some new tracks are finished.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Senna likes this.
  4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Agree 100% ... I’d poke his eyes out or twist his helmet right off his head . I thought the same thing back when Biaggi slapped the face of Melandri a few times . You never let that shit slide .

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Mir said he purposely pulled over and waited for a chewing out from Miller because he knew he fucked up, and it was coming. Personally I might be in the minority here, but as much as I love miller's straight forward attitude, I think he runs his mouth at a level that far exceeds his results. It's got worse since he got the factory ride, but I think he needs to talk less, and let his results on the track speak for him a bit more.

And yeah, the second he grabbed my chinbar there would have been two expensive motorcycles lying on the ground, and an ass kicking taking place. His, or mine would be up for debate lol. But that would have flipped my switch for sure.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Miller and Mir are smarter than that. they've seen stupid (Vinales) and they don't want to end up there. fist fight, LOL club racing terminology. Heck, even Mongo would ban you from racing...

BigBird likes this.
  7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, but I think Miller was the Robby Bobby about to break an arm in that situation. Miller has probably been in a few scraps along the way but Mir does not seem like he would be a fighter.:crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I just watched the Moto3 2nd red flag stuff in slow motion. Acosta was in the air for 10 fence segments. Not sure if those are 8 or 10' segments but he aired out a Moto3 bike for more distance than I am willing to do on a motocross bike. One of the guys I was with saw Acosta in the airport yesterday. Apparently he was moving a bit slow but otherwise appeared to be OK. Whatever God he prays to was smiling on him Sunday...

Blammo, Circacee and BigBird like this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

and they way he got tossed around into the armco....it truly was a testament to the airbags. I think that helped keep his neck and back in check.

Circacee likes this.
  10. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Apparently Miller isn’t smarter than that , cuz he initiated the contact by grabbing Mir helmet and dragged his face closer to him to give him a scolding. That is unacceptable behavior, and would be followed up by me with some sort of retaliation.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Nobody puts asphalt directly on dirt for a pavement. There is a gravel base above the sub-base of compacted dirt. I don't know what photos are referenced or relied upon for the foregoing, incorrect, statement, what they reflect, what stage of construction they were taken, what happened subsequently, etc.

The extent to which the compacted soil was treated or not, the extent to which it was compacted, the moisture content when compacted, covered with the gravel base, etc., are unknown. I'm confident that experienced soils engineers were involved in the design and construction of the track at COTA. The extent to which those engineers had experience or knowledge regarding the loads that would ultimately be input to the track, as well as the extent to which engineering recommendations were actually followed during construction are unknown.

One thing is certain: That track surface sucks for a MotoGP event.

Cheers,

Dave

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Mir was smart to not retaliate if you ask me. All of talk of breaking his arm doesn't take into account the fact they are both wearing a significant quantity of protective gear that doesn't exactly make it easy to fight in a way that inflicts damage on the other guy.

Had Mir escalated things, he might have found himself and Miller out of racing for a while.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

this looks to be how they did it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    83BSA likes this.
  14. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I understand the Penske - Schwantz strangle holds on COTA and possible Indy return but why not try Daytona one year. They have the facility and amenities. Road America would probably be best but not prepared.

15. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

No way in hell Daytona could meet FIM safety requirements regarding run off, etc. Not sure I’d want to try taking a 300 hp bike around the 31-degree banking for more than a lap or two. Tires wouldn’t last long.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I can't believe you even suggested that. :eek:

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

That has to have been a joke. No one could really be serious about running MotoGP bikes around Daytona when MotoAmerica won't even run the Superbikes around it.

Utah - might be best for safety, but no population to watch and no promoter with deep enough pockets to bring the show.
    Road America no chance in moving the RR tracks to fix the safety issue. Only solution might be to short cut the track by turning back to right at turn 6 over to somewhere around turn 13 maybe?
    I think Barber is to short and maybe not safe enough?
    Indianapolis is just about the only real hope.

18. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

And Indy makes the most sense. Huge facility, tons of rooms close by, airport a few miles away, restaurants, etc.
    Throw in Roger Penske and his desire to make things profitable and it looks possible.

tireman likes this.
  19. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Daytona? C'mon lol

20. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

those are the pics that I was referencing.

BigBird likes this.