1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2020 | Round 4 | Austria | Red Bull Ring | Aug 14-16

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Aug 10, 2020.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I considered sending my kid to the try outs some years back. The contract required that a percentage of any racing income be given to the rookies cup for a set number of years. I don't remember the numbers. After looking at costs versus benefits, we went another way.

2. Nic

Nic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  3. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Not sure that would've helped in this "racing incident"?

There were certainly others it would have though, Gerloff on Fores last week, Espargaro on Zarco last week (and I guess Espargaro on Olivera this week as well), were all blindside "I wasn't expecting him to be there" crashes.

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid: He looked haunted and sounded like a man that is doing some serious soul searching in interviews after the race. At 41 after 20 years and 7 world championships in the big leagues I don't think anyone could blame him if he decided that last weekend was his "this shit is not worth it any more" moment.

5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That soul searching is probably amplified by Morbidelli being so heavily involved in the crash. If there’s anyone on the grid as close to Rossi as Simoncelli used to be, it’s Morbidelli.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

Catfish was real serious too since he was on the bike when it started to disintegrate. Airbag suits may be worth the price of admission

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

When it happened and you saw his face looking like he'd seen a ghost when he sat down in his garage, I told some buddies who were watching the race with me that "no fucking way he goes back out there". All the respect (although perhaps it's just stupidity, I don't know) in the world for him to compose himself and get back on a bike. In his shoes (worth 9 figures, banging models, etc.) I think I would've said eff this noise.

Shocker likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

titanium balls are difficult to detach, even at his age

Tj Hunter, cav115, JJJerry and 2 others like this.
  9. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Anyone remember this incident where the front end of the bike took off the visor of Henry Wiles? It was thatttt close.

renegade17 and 5axis like this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:eek::eek:

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Dang.

But that air fence there almost defeated its purpose???

12. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Going off topic, but tire barriers (even banded ones) do the same thing with cars, where they are present.

I was on the bridge to the right. A buddy of mine just behind this ducked down pit lane to avoid this.

They have a softer barrier now, which doesn't grab and launch cars back into traffic.

13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

pretty cool that Baer literally builds his own chassis.

unfortunately with the rules his KTM1000 isn’t gonna run anymore.

last I saw he is building a production 800 BMW

14. Nic

Nic Well-Known Member

Knotcher likes this.
  15. rwdfun

rwdfun

BOMBSHELL!!!!!!!!
    Official Rossi announcement below

[​IMG]

16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I understand your points, however, I'll ask you- what is cheaper- travel to Europe for the Rookies series, or pay 6 figures for a competitive ride in the US in Twins or SuperSport?

And what is the potential return? How many guys are getting paid vs. paying for a ride here in the US? What do you think Bobby Fong or Jake Gagne are getting paid? I don't know, I'm seriously asking. And yes, I know there are alot of paid rides in GP's, too.

17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I was unable to find a good answer. My son took up running and is getting an engineering degree for free. That plan may not suit everybody, I know.

18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The agreement is pretty solid, certainly from Red Bull’s perspective. Stickers/signage aside. As a rider, you sign up and pay for, the exposure (see what we’re talking about here!).

Red Bull gets their return knowing that, perhaps, maybe one rider earns a quality contract at some point in the future and then takes a not insignificant return on it. That, and a percentage of a few other riders’ contracts does add up in hard currency, plus Red Bull gets paid for all the advertising. Not a bad business model.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

20. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

I remember Simon saying that The front of Rossi’s bike was covered in oil from that.

BigBird likes this.