1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP '20 (Xbox / PS4)

Discussion in 'General' started by Greenhound386, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I picked up MotoGP '20 for Xbox yesterday to help stave off the racing itch in quarantine.

A controller is about to get thrown through a TV, people. The learning curve for this game is insane. I need some tips!

I am crashing 20 times per lap (literally). I'm doing time trial mode at Laguna Seca so that I can at least take the element of learning the track out of it. The game offers absolutely nothing in terms of a tutorial, so I'm kind of figuring it out via trial and error.

First, I'm realizing that it's more realistic than what I am used to. I'm basically giving it full gas or zero gas, and obviously, a MotoGP bike can't be ridden like that. I'm not used to the amount of trigger pull actually correlating to acceleration, and I am learning to manage that better. Same with the brakes; I am realizing I need to slowly and progressively let off the trigger to mimic trail braking. I haven't even started experimenting with the rear brake.

I almost can't even complete a turn. 90% of the time I run wide; the other 10% I go in too slow and dive off the inside of the track. The bike is so slow to turn until you reduce your speed enough, and I just can't anticipate that correctly. Again, I am gathering that's part of the intended realism, but it's tough! I even plugged in a new controller, as I thought my primary controller was broken and was delaying the input or something.

So, any advice to shorten the learning curve? I've reduced my number of crashes per lap from 30 to 20, so I am improving with time, but at this rate, it's going to take weeks before I can even string a normal-looking lap together.

2. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

I think you can go into the settings and change the sensitivity of those triggers as well. Maybe that can help you out.

How's the game?

I have earlier versions but was thinking about getting the '20 since I'm home some more now.

3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Have you played any of the previous ones? Generally they're not much different from each other so if you're decent at one of them, you should pick up the next one pretty quick without crashing much. For me 2019 was the hardest because they made the physics a bit more realistic so it's easier to lock the front brake if you trail brake too much or to highside if you go WOT mid turn lol I haven't decided if I want to get 2020 yet...I've been pretty disappointed with each GP game year after year. Milestone sucks and they offer no support to games once they're release. They keep fucking up the same stuff year after year and just aren't listening to the customers. But I'll probably end up buying it once it's on sale on Steam. Maybe I can get it for like $25 or so.

4. Greenhound386

I will try that! I'm a bad person to ask how it is, haha. I haven't played the other games and can't compare, and I've binned $1 billion in MotoGP bikes in 24 hours.

5. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

Just pick marquez 93. His bike doesnt crash. Plus if youre lucky he'll cut other racer's brake lines.

track wagon likes this.
  6. Greenhound386

Nope! I don't get a ton of time on the Xbox, and it's normally first-person shooters when I do.

7. Greenhound386

I'm realizing that I have to be SUPER deliberate with the braking, progressively let off, slowly crack the throttle, and feed it gas as the line opens up and the bike finishes changing direction. You know, like a real motorcycle! I was trying to break the track record every turn right out of the gate. I've slowed waaaaaay down to get the gist of it, and I'm slowly getting the hang of it and am figuring out how to anticipate what the bike will do. Very challenging, but I've actually strung a couple turns together in the last hour, and it's very satisfying when done right.

I was watching the Virtual MotoGP races (and that's what inspired me to buy the game myself), and I kept wondering why some of those guys were so bad, haha. Now I know!

8. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

which is the better game console to use this specific game on, xbox or ps4? I’m considering getting one.

9. Chand

Chand Well-Known Member

I have both but I prefer xbox just because the controller is so much better!

10. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

thanks! I haven’t played with either....as some have said....just trying to pass the time until we get the ok to return.

11. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Get a PS2 on eBay and a game called SBK. Still no other racing game ever made as good. Graphics aren’t quite up to today but the bike rides more like a real bike.

418 likes this.
  12. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Yes. I sell about a 100 of each consoles a year. Your answer is yes lol.
    If you want to game against friends find out what they use. If not, decide which controller you like more cause I’ve played motogp on both and they’re identical. My Xbox one X just throws a hair better pic on a 240hz 4K tv than the PS4 pro did imho. But I live in the division 2. Haven’t played any other game since March of last year lol.

13. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Well in that case I recommend starting with the career, that way you'll start with Moto 3 or maybe even Rookies Cup. If you don't already have a bunch of MotoGP games experience you'll be much better off starting low cuz the Moto 3 bikes are easier to handle. Then Moto 2, and then MotoGP. I actually still do that with every GP game I get even though I've got hundred of hours combined in GP 13, 15, 17, 18 and 19. I don't need to, but it saves some frustration and helps to figure out the new game quicker.

SBK Generations is still the best bike game made by milestone IMO, not counting the graphics of course. It's from like 2010 I think but it had stuff that none of the GP games do which is baffling to me that they dropped the ball so much after it.

14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I cannot use the PS4 controller. Give my hands instant cramps. The Xbox controller is so incredibly comfy.

15. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

First thing I usually do is turn the traction control and engine braking down a bit... although if you're already looping coming out of the corner and you're not using the rear brake those won't help you.

Second thing is start using the rear brake if you're not. It helps you slow a ton and if you get on the rear just a moment before you touch the front it helps settle the bike.

Third: assuming you're going straight to MotoGP bikes its going to be hard. I run a lot of Moto3 because it can still be challenging but it's fun... MotoGP I'm always on the edge and it almost feels too much like work if I do too many of those races in a row.

Greenhound386 and Senna like this.
  16. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I've had every game since 2017, and the braking on 20 is WAY more difficult. Same with the tire and track temperature. If you think your gunna run softs at Sepang and get away with it, you're about to learn a lesson.

TBH I just started braking a little bit earlier until I could figure out how to better modulate and "feel" what the bike was doing. Using the rear brake slightly before initial braking and all the way down the gears really helped me. On hairpins, I will use the rear all the way to the release point as well. Seems to help rotate the bike. Also, initiating lean as soon as possible seems to help with the rear coming up.

Just my experience so far.

I tried to do a historic race. They are randomly generated.. I ended up on Doohans Rothman Honda at Mugello, in the rain. I finished 18 seconds behind the leaders...

Greenhound386 likes this.
  17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'm still running MotoGP'19. Didn't see much reason to upgrade, but these tips should still be valid.

Biggest tip I can give is to remap your buttons so that gas/brake is handled by the right thumbstick. Your turning should already be mapped to the left thumbstick.

With that done, you can MUCH more easily modulate the throttle by pushing up, and brake by pushing down, on the right thumbstick. Much better than using buttons for gas/brake, even the shoulder triggers, and basically requires you to be either on the gas or on the brake at ALL times.......just how it should be in real life.

Additionally:
    • Don't be afraid to turn on the track help, especially in-corner. This will help you get your timing and brake-markers down.
    • Don't try to be a hero and set all the physics to Pro right off the bat. Let the system do some things to help at first (like making sure linked-braking is on) until you get your feet wet.
    • Start in the lower classes and work your way up........jumping straight to a MotoGP bike is a recipe for poor technique.
    • Like real life, this game rewards smooth inputs, especially on the brakes. Trail braking is very much the difference between a lowside and out braking an opponent. The controller will vibrate to give you a warning if you are pushing the front-end too hard at too high a lean-angle.
    • Focus on upgrading your electronics before all the best engine upgrades if you're in career mode. The starting points for TC, anti-wheelie, etc. are not very good, and it doesn't take nearly as much credits to upgrade them as it does engine/chassis upgrades.
    That's all I got for now.

jksoft, Quicktoy and Greenhound386 like this.
  18. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

This is all good info! I recently got ‘20 and am hooked!

I did map my buttons a bit different than yours. I’ve got throttle on the right thumb stick but brake is on my right trigger.

I did experiment with splitting the rear brake onto the right thumb stick. Works well but it was a bit too much going on for me at this point. Need more ‘seat’ time

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Ha. A small group of us play Division 2 and have been playing a bit more recently since there's nothing going on at race tracks.

Quicktoy likes this.
  20. Greenhound386

Thanks for the advice!

I did play around with both Moto3 and Moto2 last night, and I realized they were way easier. The Moto2 bikes sound sick! Even with the Moto3 bike, though, it just seems like the bike doesn't flick that fast. I cannot get through the esses at COTA to save my life.

Very interesting advice about remapping the controls. If I really concentrate and put my brain into 'motorcycle mode' and not 'video game mode', I can put together some good lines. I have to think about exactly what I am doing with the brakes and throttle at all times. If I forget to trail brake even once and just let off the brakes, the bike's going off track. That said, it's just weird to be modulating the front brake with my left hand, and I think moving that to the right hand will make it easier to keep the brain in 'motorcycle mode'.

I'll do some experimenting tonight!