1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica why not MidOhio

Discussion in 'General' started by OldGuyOnBlu, Nov 24, 2016.

1. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but taking another look at the schedule today -- and continuing to be thrilled with the addition of Pitt -- I remain curious why no return to MidOhio. It would seem the location, the population base and the track itself would all strongly lend to returning there. Was the last experience so bad that it is forever out of consideration? The facilities at MidOhio are certainly superior to some of the other favored tracks.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Too big a chance of having to cancel due to sketchy conditions. That then pisses off fans and teams and cost the sanctioning body and promoter an absolute shit ton of money.

All it would take to get them back is better traction/consistency when wet would be my guess.

Boman Forklift, 418 and MELK-MAN like this.
  3. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

So basically what your saying is it needs to be rapaved ?

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Repave it and have one of the best layouts in American racing.

As it is now, you basically throw out the first practice sessions due to laying down a groove and getting through the green.

It becomes ice in the rain and last time I was there, the keyhole was like playing dodge the broken surface and holes.

dsmitty37 and helicopter99 like this.
  5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Parts of it are like an upmarket Nelson Ledges.

6. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Also lacks run-off in key areas. So maybe repave and move some walls back...One of the last times we were there and the track was wet I watched one of my riders do a 180 straight up and down on the brakes entering Turn One, still on two wheels (briefly)...

JustaNobody, DDK732 and MELK-MAN like this.
  7. Tonyp425

Tonyp425 Well-Known Member

Awesome layout the surface is garbage

8. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

wish they would add Portland so there is a bit more on the west coast.

pscook likes this.
  9. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

This so sopose to be in the works is the heavy rumor around the track. Repave and winding some section of run offs. I do know they we here cutting trees down this year when I was there...

Another thing I heard was M.A. was wanting the Monday after for a raindate and mid ohio wasn't willing to do that. I know several people that work there and hound them every time I see them. I will keep updates coming as I find them out.

John29 likes this.
  10. 418

418 Expert #59

Mid Ohio is one of those places where IMHO the runoff room is shit and we're lucky we haven't had a serious accident in one of the said key areas.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Facility's Superior? Really? Those garages are full of Pigeons and crap... I won't even discuss the bathrooms.. The track surface is the killer IMO... But Mid Ohio is on the tail end for facility's IMO...

5axis likes this.
  12. joec

joec brace yourself

When.I was there last, all but one sink had been ripped off of the bathroom wall in the paddock..but they had a dominos pizza cart thing that drove around. :rolleyes:

13. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

The trees and walls need to be moved back, so that when an accident happens, it is much less likely to be career ender.
    Repaving will increase velocity everywhere, which is why the first sentence is the priority.
    Nice to have a Professional organization promoting our national series, and looking at the whole picture. I think they are doing a good job, and we should give them time to get it right.
    There have been many memorable races from Mid-O: Quarterly was phenomenal on his SB. His "rubbing is racing" privateer race win, is a high water mark for Mid-O. I think it was 1993.

14. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Glad I found this thread. I was thinking about going to Mid-Ohio next year for a track day, but based on all of this, it seems that if I'm going to make a 12+ hour drive, I might as well add a couple more hours and go to Barber or Road Atlanta or NCM instead. Or maybe the opposite way to Utah (Miller)

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

^^ Great idea..... But Mid Ohio is a blast... Love the layout.... I enjoy every track I go too.... Whether its the gravel Pit Parking Lot at NCCAR or the Campless rules at Putnam... Its the time in the seat that matters most to me...

sbk1198 likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Come race VMD - the event as a whole is amazing and you'll get to race at Mid-Ohio.

5axis likes this.
  17. sbk1198

Not familiar with VMD...what is it?

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Vintage Motorcycle Days

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days - lots of vintage racing including flat track nearby and motocross on the grounds of Mid-O as well as bike shows and a HUGE swap meet. We also include some modern classes.

joec likes this.
  20. sbk1198

Oh is that similar to AHRMA?

I'll most likely be doing my racing locally or at least somewhat closer to me, probably CCS midwest and hopefully a round with CMRA at Hallett. But every year I like to hit up at least 1 or 2 new tracks that I haven't been to even if it's just for some track days. I'm hoping there will be a way to hit up Barber and Road Atlanta all in about 1 week, regardless of organizations...that way maybe I can drive out to one of them for a couple of days, then fool around for a couple of days in the area and then make my way to the other one for another couple days of riding. Wishful thinking, I know! lol....but I did that once in 2014 with BIR and Road America. 4 track days in 6 days! It was awesome :D