1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica Road Atlanta WERA Triple Crown

Discussion in 'General' started by renegade17, Apr 11, 2018.

1. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

Correct, the big rig broke down and he's currently in the paddock getting his personal street bike race legal. Well, hopefully someone else is getting it ready cause Herrin has no business with a wrench in his hands :D

obcbr and noles19 like this.
  2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

What is he, like Broome ? :crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Surprised they can’t get ahold of a box van or sprinter and throw the bike in and go.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're uploading them to their site under the Club class and I'll attach them here in a sec too.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Takes more than just the bike. I would do a street bike over a superbike without the backup parts and equipment.

6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Parrish?

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I have to admit, this really is a great storyline for this weekend. I'm not sure how many miles he's got on that motor (I've seen a few clips of him doing trackdays and tooling around on the street with it), but I hope it lasts through the weekend. I have to imagine that back straight at RA is going to be murderous when those superbike motors just walk away from him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhiAZLYlslQ/?taken-by=josh_herrin

Last I can remember anything like this I think was back in 05 or 06 was it maybe Scott Jensen? I distinctly remember someone riding a stock GSXR-1000, even had that ridiculous OEM exhaust can on it still.

8. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Isn't the R1S motor even slower than the regular r1? You would think Graves would have something he could drop in......

9. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I can remember Jeremy Toye riding a stock R1 with mudflap fender and all at one of the california tracks, maybe Sonoma. That was probably '03ish.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

"The differences between the R1 and R1S are pretty much only in the materials used and the weight difference they create. The R1 gets titanium connecting rods while the R1S get steel. The R1’s magnesium oil pan and engine covers get swapped for aluminum and its aluminum engine cover bolts and titanium exhaust headers get swapped for steel and stainless steel respectively...The valve springs have also been revised for the R1S, as has the ECU."

Yamaha claim they make also the same power, but the R1S revs a bit slower due to its heavier internal parts I guess.

11. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

12. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

I think it also has a lower rev limit because of the heavier internals, correct? The R1 revs to 14k and the R1S stops at 12k or something like that I think.

13. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Why wouldn't renting a tractor from Penske to get the trailer to the track work? Seems like there's gotta be some way to make it happen.

trussdude likes this.
  14. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

That was basically my first thought as well... They couldn't have at least rented a uhaul box truck, tossed a bike and as many tools and spare parts as they could fit and high-tailed it to RA?

15. My thoughts too.

Hell, there are tow trucks that are made to tow Semis.

Or rent another trailer.

The only way I could see this being catastrophic (for the entire weekend) would be if they were running so late that they were going to arrive just a few minutes before Herrin was to be on track...so ANY delay would mean they can’t make it.

Short of that, there are numerous ways to get shit from one place to another. Hell they could rent a Penske box truck, throw a bike, wheels, motor, tools, bodywork, etc in it and haul ass.

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I like Roi, I worked with him at his first RR track day, but he doesn't belong on the SB grid, went to every race last year, didn't qualify most of the time.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Maybe it's all one big ploy intentionally setup to create some drama/fun storyline. I mean its highly HIGHLY doubtful considering the kind of money that I'm sure has been sunk into a typical Superbike race team program all to purposefully toss it by the wayside to run a mildly tweaked street bike at the season opener.

......but hell, that would be a real knee-slapper.

badmoon692008 and rafa like this.
  18. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

Actually there are 2. Andrew Bowen on a Triumph. Been making some changes to keep the front end on the ground so we are hoping to get in the race today during QP2.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, not a ploy.

20. When your budgets very tight you can’t just get there by any means. I’m no Herrin fan boy, at all, but hard not to respect what he’s doing here.