1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto GP 2012

Discussion in 'General' started by gaines1016, Nov 10, 2009.

1. gaines1016

gaines1016 Well-Known Member

2. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Umm, duuhhhh... It's on the interwebs isn't it?

Sheeesh. Rookies.

3. soderholmd

soderholmd Banned

How does this save money?

4. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

More CC's = less time trying to squeeze out every possible HP from a 800cc.

5. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

they are still going to spend the time and money trying to squeeze more ponies

6. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

agreed, but I would assume its much easier to get 200 hp out of 1000ccs then 800cc

7. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

It's about damn time. I wish they'd take away some of the electronics as well.

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

if i remember correctly, wasnt the whole point of limiting the displacement to 800cc to slow the bikes down?:confused:

9. dmb367

dmb367 Custom User Title A

and then what happened? they got faster

10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

but dont you think that once they go back to the liter bikes they are just going to get even faster yet again? dont get me wrong. im all about them bringing the big boy toys back and hopefully seeing Nicky get back to the top. :up: i just dont see understand the reasoning behind it.

11. Apollo JD

Apollo JD Ninja Cat

Watch them make it 1000cc engines with fixed/limited ecu's. No pneumatic valving and a 17-18k RPM limit. That would make a huge difference in cost.

12. mattjmartin

mattjmartin Well-Known Member

The article posted mentions it being a cost issue more than anything. There aren't any production motors capable of being tuned to compete in an 800cc class, thus forcing the design of prototype engines, which is apparantly too expensive. The idea is to be able to use current 1000cc production engines in prototype chassis, eliminating cost. Sounds like a glorified WSBK class to me, and we all know that the big teams will still be running prototype 1000cc engines anyway, taking away all chances the little guys on production engines had...

Personally, I'd be happy if they got rid of the electronics. 800cc would be more than enough with no-one running state of the art traction control. Everyone would be riding like stoner.

13. caferace

caferace No.

That sentence makes me giggle. :D

-jim

14. onepointone

onepointone Well-Known Member

No cost? Shit, sign me up for a team.. :up:

15. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

They already have a high horsepower class out there with less electronics, it's call World Superbike.

Edwards was asked about dropping electronic aids in one of the Racer X articles. Didn't sound too happy about loosing all of the development he put into them over the years.

16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

They made the bikes smaller, lighter, which actually increased corner speed over the bigger bikes.

Where do most crashes happen?.....in the corners, not on the straights.

So, they may have reduced overall top speed and dropped HP, but that didn't/doesn't make the bikes more safe since the corner speed increased and that's where the crashes happen.

17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

How do you figure this? If the rules say production engines, then that's what they'll run.

You really think a team would be able to sneak in a prototype motor without every other team filing protests or it getting torn down? You think a manufacturer would invest in building and tuning a prototype motor for a production motor class, knowing they will be caught almost instantly?