1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

motion pro tire gauge

Discussion in 'General' started by metalkid88, Jan 26, 2011.

1. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

I have one that we have found to be off 4 Psi Is there any where i can take it to have it recalibrated or is it basically going in the garbage.

I dont wanna have to worry if someone didnt remember its off and set the tires wrong.

2. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Did you vent it? Thats probably whats doing it.

3. metalkid88

care to further explain?

4. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Yea...I had three of those in my hand at once. They were + or - 4 lbs. compared.

Took one to a calibration place and for a $50 fee they would tell me it's accuracies on the scale .... but not change the gauge.....:(

No need to spend the coin for something I already know..... :tut:

5. metalkid88

Yeah im looking for tips to either change it or someone tell me its use less

6. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

We use a few commercial places but they do like 20 guages of different types at once. Not even sure if yours is able to be recalibrated. Try contacting MP and see if you can send it back to be adjusted for a fee?

7. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I figured $100+ tire pressure gauge would be spot on 100% of the time. Are these high end gauges in constant need of recalibration or is it just a faulty gauge?

8. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

If you remove the rubber shell on the gauge face you'll find a rubber plug on the top of the gauge. Pull it out slightly untill it lets air in and vents it. Then re-check.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  9. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

Get a black Sharpy and write on the face it is 4psi high or low.. save yourself some time and money. I've got one that reads 3psi high, it's been that way for well over 10 years. I check it yearly with my tire guy to make sure it reads the same. No reason to get all worked up over it.

10. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

I bought what I thought was a decent gauge and got the liquid filled QuickCar. I too wanted to see if I could get it re-calibrated.

So I sent an email to them, only to be told, nope, no way to calibrate them. O well.

I'm probably overly cautious about checking my pressures coming off track but it does make me feel better. :)

11. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

Take a needle and put a hole in the rubber plug on top of the gauge.

12. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

WOW!

Accu-Gauge will recalibrate any of their gauges - for life... free!

13. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

What about the accu-tire MS-5510b racing tire gauge? Supposedly its "The most Accurate Racing Tire Pressure Gauge available"

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

:stupid:

i've been using that for a few years and its accurate.

15. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Thanks for the co-sign. How do you like the way it goes on the valve stem? My problem with my little pencil type gauge is that I release a pound or two taking the darn thing off.

16. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

two things I've learned in 38 years of fixing bikes:

1) Every tire gauge manufacturer insists that their gauge is 100% accurate. How could they do otherwise? "Some of our gauges are close, sometimes?"

2) All trackside tire guys insist that THEIR gauge is 100% spot on. They seldom are.

Several of our local BMW club guys work for Boeing, and they have a calibration department. Once a year or so, we all send or gauges for calibration or checking. The $100+ gauges are no better, on average, than the $5 stick gauges.

The most frequently-accurate tire gauges I've ever tested were the RoadGear digital pocket gauges. Every one I have tested (over 25 at one test) was within 0.20 PSI accurate. They are good until the internal battery gets weak, then they go wonky, but it is obvious from the readout. RoadGear will replace a dead one for $5.

The fancy fluid-filled gauges don't seem to like "life on the road" very much. They test pretty accurate (within + or - 1 PSI) until they suffer some road trips, then they get wacky. Nick Lefurgey said it right, it can often be a venting issue, because your gauge is exposed to altitude and temperature changes as you travel. If the internal atmosphere in the gauge is different than the atmosphere where you are checking, you can have a problem. The problem with piercing the plug or opening it occasionally is that you are introducing air with moisture in it, and the delicate gauge movements don't like water or corrosion that results from the introduction of water.

I keep an assortment of gauges on hand and trust none.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Joe, bring it by next time to come to the shop. I made little plugs for the rubber stopper to vent them easier. We can check it against my Intercomp and make sure it's good.

18. metalkid88

word:beer:

19. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

i dont see a rubber plug on top of the guage? got time to take a pic of this?

20. KneeScraper

KneeScraper I'm a new Dad!!!

There. Fixed it for you, Tom.

Buy a Longacre off of Quentin at Mize Mobile and he'll recalibrate it for you each year. Unlike Tom, I trust a few people at the track, and Quentin is one of them.:D Hey Tom!:Poke:

Just Google Mize Mobile. He is at all WERA and CCS events in the northeast and sells all brands of race tires.