1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motard Prep for WERA competition ???'s

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Joe Morris, May 9, 2003.

1. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I have a Suzuki DRZ400 that I'm motarding with an eye on WERA competition. My question to those that have done it is what mods would you suggest to satisfy WERA tech requirements? Right now, I've got a bike, 17" wheels and a brake system.

Specific questions:

1) What stearing damper are you running? Are there other options besides a Scotts type damper?

2) Are you racing with Bark Busters on? How are you meeting the bar end slider requirement?

3) Is the "ball" on the end of the levers required on a motard with Bark Busters? My stock levers have been modified to fit under the Bark Busters. If your running "shorty" levers, where did you find them?

4) What fluid retaining belly pan are you using? Will a turkey pan be allowed in the short term?

There may be some issues that I haven't thought of yet so I'd appreciate any feedback you motard pioneers have to offer.

2. amaner

amaner will do math for food

Joe -

*Check with Monty (TZ925 on this board) regarding the belly pan. I recall him mentioning something about a dirt bike "diaper" a while back...
    *As for the damper, GPR makes 'em for dirt bikes as well. Same mounting location as the Scotts, but may be cheaper...

3. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

I used the GPR Stabilizer and triple clamp, works awesome.

For the belly pan go to www.taylormotorsports.com and look at the device under "lower engine restraints"

Catch bottles, I got a cool one from VSM Racing to run my crank breather and fuel tank vent into. www.vsmracing.com 202-369-4347. Speak with Eric Hicks and let him know you want one like mine.

Bark Busters should mount up without needing to modify the levers, at least they did on th WR450. I use the Acerbis plastic with aluminum reinforcement.

Depending on what track you are going to, run the tallest gearing you can get. My WR had 14/50 stock, I put on 15/46 and it was still way too short. These bikes are only geared for 90-95mph. You may consider two up on the front and four to five down in the rear. You may have to shorten your chain too. Mine was at the limits with 15/46.

Hope it helps.

4. Biggest you can go on the front of a DRZ is 15 - a 16 hits the swingarm. I've got 15/41 on a DRZ and just picked up a 38 rear - I'll let you know how it does.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1 - I'm sure you can make any of the short ones fit or the longer by welding a bung to the frame but the Scott's style ones will be easier.

2 - as long as the bark busters attach to the bard end no - however the little flap type ones will be different.

3 - same answer as 2.

4 - yes, a turkey pan is fine.

6. Joe Morris

Thanks for the response Sean. It looks like I'm just a damper away now!

7. oneslowzx6r

oneslowzx6r Well-Known Member

dumb ?

Do you mean an actual turkey pan that you cook turkey in?

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Yup! Just don't use the one that was used on Thursday. It may be to messy to pass tech

9. RB

RB Well-Known Member

If the 16T just contacts the chain buffer it would be worth while to grind a slot for clearance. If it BARELY contacts the swingarm I would grind JUST enough for clearance. If you have to cut very much you may have the SA pivot crack when dirt riding.

You are always fighting gearing probs using a dirt motor on pavement. Often the 16T will hit the clutch release boss on the cases.

Ray

10. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

Hey Joe, you weren't at the Team Pro-Motion track days at CMP a couple of weeks ago, were you?

11. Joe Morris

Nope! Tell me there was a horde of motards there....PLEASE. I'm so sick of hearing this is just a fad.

12. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

Well, there were a couple. I talked to a guy with a DRZ 400 that seemed to be from the area, so I thought maybe it was you.

I don't necessarily think it's just a fad. I do think maybe it'll start becoming more of its own thing seperate from roadracing, though; More exclusively motard tracks set-up in parking lots with dirt sections.

But, what the hell do I know?