1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mladin's start - Barber Race #1

Discussion in 'General' started by TrentThomas, Apr 23, 2007.

1. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Well, I booted up the ole BBS this morning expecting to see a 10 page thread about Mat's jump start that wasn't called - but y'all have let me down...

Speed never showed a replay - anybody got a Youtube link?

2. Was this Race 1? Race 2 seem to be right on for the front 4, the only person I seen jump was Barney sucked because I was looking forward to a closer race up front.

3. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

race 1. i thought the same thing too but was relieved that it wasnt called. I know this board is Spies biased, but uh, GO Mat. :D

4. Yeah I missed race 1 that's why I had to ask.

5. chkaotic

chkaotic Registered Loser

Same thing.. I swore his tire was on or over the line.. Hafta look again when I get home

6. Jim McDowell

Jim McDowell Hoping to pass tech

He moved a little, for sure, but the rules don't say you can't move any they just say your tire can't leave the box.

The AMA has video and my understanding is they review every start so it must have been deemed a legal start for everyone up front.

Mladin and Spies race 1 was fun to watch because Ben was able to keep it so close. The start of race 2 was more interesting to me because some others were able to run up front (for a little while anyway).

The most interesting battle in race one was Roger Lee and James Ellison.

But the best fun all weekend, for me, was watching Larry Pegram, Marty Cragill, Ryan Andrews and Ryan Elleby go at it in Formula Extreme. That was really good racing. The Rockwall Honda kids looked great.

7. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Thought maybe i was the only one who saw that.

8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I thought Mat jumped too, but I was glad the folks in the replay booth didn't think so. It sure would have been a much more boring race without Mat IMO, although Duhamel did some most excellent work to get a podium. Hayden and Ellison's battle was also fun to watch.

9. bafflebrain

bafflebrain Well-Known Member

Matt still would have won had Spies jumped 10 feet. He was determined to win.

10. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

determined. that's an understatement i think. i cringed every time he'd drift out of turn one to the edge of the asphault.

and how 'bout that frickin' pass on the backmarker going into 2. that was butt-puckerin' right there.

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

he really drilled that guy's knee. Scary stuff. Wasn't he a KWS guy?

12. bafflebrain

bafflebrain Well-Known Member

Looked like it...can't miss the paint work.

Could have been a disaster.

13. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Man, you aren't kidding about drifting outside of turn one.........I just knew he was going to pitch it there once the tires started going. He HAD to be on the white line a few times......like the guys said.......that's what you can do when you have complete control of your bike I guess.

14. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Yup, impressive stuff. (I don't ever have complete control of the bike - that includes putting her on stands in the garage).

15. Day One

Day One Well-Known Member

The AMA has a video jump start system that allows very accurate review of starts on a row by row basis. Matt's start was considered by many to be a jump but it was not. It was EXTREMELY close but it was not a jump. The reason most people feel it was a jump is because all they see is Matt's bike moving before the other bikes in his row. This is what is in thier field of view. What they can not do, and what the AMA jump start system does do, is to impose the start light in the picture. The AMA is able to tell precisely when the light changes from red to green and where the front wheels are at that precise moment. If that front axle has not left that box it's not a jump. Yes, Matt moved, but it was timed perfectly and it was a legal start.

The system got a good workout during the 600SS race. There were 4 jump starts between the 2 starts. That makes pit road a busy place during the first few laps of the race.

16. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Stop bringing facts and logic to the WERA BBS!!!! :mad:

:D

17. Day One

Day One Well-Known Member

LOL That's funny. I just like to make sure the AMA gets portrayed in a posstive light when they are doing things right. they've suffered enough through bad info or lack of info

18. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

OK, it's good to know the truth.
    Now how do we mushrooms get out of this dark smelly log?

:Poke:
    I'd still like to see the replay...

19. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

So when are you going to address Jamie's dad and other AMA workers all hearing that Jamie could use his backup bike? :Poke: :D

20. orgsxrracer

orgsxrracer Well-Known Member

You can only start on a backup bike in Superbike if we are less than 2 laps complete. In Supersport and all other classes, once the race has started, you can only restart the race on the chassis you started the race on.

The other glaring mistake Kawi made was they took the bike behind the wall during the red flag. Had they not done that, they could have tried to repair the bike and allow him to restart. Bike # 259 went behind the wall as well and he was DQ'd because of it. But based on the looks of the damange, just changing wheels I don't feel would have left Hacking a very safe motorcycle to continue on.