1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing the races this weekend

Discussion in 'General' started by thunderalley3, Aug 20, 2021.

1. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

Disappointed is all I can say. I had planned on racing this weekend at Talladega, I planned a quick trip to Maine to pick up a bike I had purchased and planned a quick turn-around to be home in time to load up and head to the track.

Long story short I had truck issues, 4th time in less than a month with injector issues in a 2020 Duramax with 28K miles on it. It spent a week in the shop there with GM telling them what do making my return a week later than planned as the issue showed up the night before I was supposed to leave and then it showed up again in South Carolina on the way home. I pushed it home and I am now waiting to hear when an engineer will be sent in to attempt repair.

Not the way I wanted to end the year, I guess it gives me more time to get things ready for next season.

Best of luck to everyone this weekend!!

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Umm…

I’m about 2 hrs from getting on a plane back to Boston, and driving back up to Maine. If there’s anything I can do to help out, let me know. I’ve got a dually pickemup truck waiting for me at Logan.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  3. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Enterprise truck rental has 3/4 and 1ton trucks for just over $100 a day.

4. thunderalley3

Pickled Egg, I appreciate the offer however I am back in Florida and the trailer is parked and the truck is at the Chevy dealer. I was in Arundel, I have said many times that I wish I would get stranded at Bentley's, well my wish came true so watch what you wish for!!

Thanks for the info R1M370. I have packed it in. The dealer will have a truck for me on Monday as they are waiting for an engineer for repairs.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If the bike needs to be picked up and stored, I’ll be out there for another two weeks and can stash it at my parents’ place, and can save you a bit of driving if you come to pick it up when I’m driving back, I can meet up with you in Boston

6. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I see you said injector issues but what makes you say that?

4th time says GM chasing their tail:rolleyes:

7. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Trade that turd in. If you like GM products buy another one, it will probably last for 300k.

8. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Hope the engineer has a tech with him.Good luck to you 4x in 28k really sucks,hope it works out.

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Lemon law that pos 3 times the charm.

Jed likes this.
  10. Used2befast

Well, as an aircraft engine analyst I know that we discuss issues with the mfg (GE/Rolls) but they make us follow the FIM (fault isolation manual) tasks 1st then we come to them with the results of those. Not an expert on this 6.6 diesel but I know 4 visits usually means 1 of 2 things. They didn't follow the FIM on the 1st 3 visits or they shotgun trouble shot. (Throw multiple parts at it till the trouble goes away)

tl1098 likes this.
  11. thunderalley3

Pickled Egg, Thanks for the offer but the bike was stored at Bentley's and I made it there and brought the bike back to Florida with me.

I agree that the problem with the truck is not an injector issue, however it keeps throwing codes indicating an injector failure and exhibits all the signs and symptoms of an injector failure. The last two replacements were done with the dealer tech performing the tests requested by the GM tech services guiding them and presenting them with the repair plan.

You are all correct, they are throwing parts at it hoping that something stops the issues. This is the 5th time in for the same issue. I am hoping they will offer a buy back after this go around. If not I will be looking at the lemon law route for sure. I have no faith in this truck. It had issues on my trip to Willow Springs, my trip to Mid Ohio and now has me missing this weekend.

I am a bow tie guy, this is my 11th or 12th Duramax and have never had an injector failure. This is a great truck except for this issue. It is loaded with all the technology packages etc. that are currently unavailable due to the chip shortage etc. Believe me if there was a new one ton sitting on the lot where I was I would have driven it home. There isn't even one here and I deal with one of the largest dealers in the South East.

pickled egg likes this.
  12. Used2befast

Question...do you smell fuel (when you start having issues) when you lift the hood?

13. thunderalley3

No smell of fuel under hood or at exhaust. Presents trouble codes of injector number x, xy etc out of range at limit either rich or lean. It has actually shown one rich. one lean at the same time. Truck is getting 7.4 mpg's towing and using a gallon of DEF every 200 miles.

14. This place has its good moments at times.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Eh. Don’t get used to it, I’ll be a smarmy cunt again in no time ;)

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I feel like this was the immediate answer.

17. thunderalley3

Fortunately I was within 400 miles from home when the engine light came on this last time. Unfortunately pulling a 36 foot fifth wheel toyhauler with 3 motorcycles in it limits rental vehicles and also getting into most dealers on the road.

GM told me as long as the light was not flashing to continue driving it and get it to the dealer at my earliest convenience. They are providing a rental starting Monday as the wait for the engineer begins.

pickled egg likes this.
  18. At least you used my favorite word :)

pickled egg likes this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh yah, eh! :crackup:

20. Used2befast

I have seen some folks have a tuner/OBD II device plugged in so they can check or clear codes. Some vehicles, especially with the new sensors monitoring all the parameters go awry (in aviation we say intermittent) and clearing them will at least give you a idea if the pending code will latch.

My bowtie went intermittent one day after filling up with E85 fuel...the sensor went bonkers cause I had just come off 5 gal of 87 octane. You would have thought my truck was gonna blow up. Eventually it figured it out but I was pretty upset how the engine was running.