1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Midway

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Lots better actors in the original from Mitchum to Ponch to Selleck

Stupid love story added in for the ladies, tho

2. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I’m not happy they ignored the fighters. Butch O’Hare, Jimmy Thatch and the rest of Fighting 3. Those Dauntlesses didn’t get there alone.
    20AC06BA-63FA-485B-AA4E-7AFD2E6990E7.jpeg 43AB71A6-3037-4164-BA8D-5047F0D45FEC.jpeg

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

James Shigeta should have gotten more starring credit. I thought he was brilliant playing Vice Admiral Nagumo.
    His role in Die Hard, not so much.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

And don't forget Pat Morita. Without his real life character talking Nagumo out of sensible options, we might have lost the battle. And I've read that was fairly accurate. Japanese officers were allowed to question authority to a much larger scale than other countries.

5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Never heard of her. OG or the new hotness.

6. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

The original title was going to be 'Dauntless' centering the film around that specific aircraft. Haven't seen the new one, I have such a high regard for the original that I can't see what "improvements" could be made to it. The only "are you kidding" moment I had with the original was the crash scene of Charlton Heston's character. A jet? Really? I could deal with the Corsairs because that was legit combat footage from WWII, but that jet?

7. prm

prm Well-Known Member

They certainly did center around the Dauntless. Not to take away from what they did, but I’m a bit biased! Flying over Midway.

BFC8FB50-F668-47B9-A09C-03AF2E47A3FA.jpeg

scottn, 5axis, lee955i and 2 others like this.
  8. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

First movie is better. But, the documentary series Battlefield is more my taste. See season 1/episode 3.

9. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I'd like to see more about the 80 men in the Doolittle raid, getting to China and the one landing in USSR.