1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid Ohio

Discussion in 'General' started by KMC, Jul 10, 2018.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

They have non related to racing money...

2. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

MotoAmerica was very clear when they took over that any tracks they would race at would have to meet FIM standards and they even went so far at to say the all the tracks needed to be safe in wet or dry conditions. They were speaking directly to MidOhio.
    PittRace wasn’t even finished when all this went down so it’s not like PittRace stole the contract.

Ride safe,
    AAron

hotnail likes this.
  3. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

I agree that at the end of the "Glory Days" the attendance did drop off at Mid-Ohio substantially. But my memory of the reason for leaving was the in-ability to race on that pavement when wet, and the proximity of the walls.

Since AMA (Pre MA) left Mid-O has lost several other events to other venues around the country. Their normal yearly schedule is a fraction of what it was several years ago for all events. So it would make sense that they would want to look at what could bring back what was at one point easily their highest money earning event. Yeah Pitt has the races now, but MA wants people there and as the product (Series) improves and draws more Sponsorship $$ they will not have the space to accommodate the draw that the series needs to have.

Mid-O should be close to the end of life for that pavement and looking to re-pave sooner rather than later. The "NEW" pavement was placed in 2006 so it has been through 12 seasons at this point. The wall issues don't seem that tough to solve either, as they own the property that is needed for the adjustments (if they chose to do so). Since they live off of the income from racing events you'd think that they would want to encourage more of them to want to use their facility.

The other thing Mid-O did after the AMA left was change to take over their own Track days for motorcycles, which they only give the leftover weekdays to. Unless you want to go after a car event, or go Monday- Friday you wont be riding a track day there on a motorcycle anytime soon. Where they used to hold several weekend days that would sell out when STT was running that portion.

Rant over, sorry...…. Sounded like a great weekend where the track was the exact same for everyone that raced on it!! And like someone "should have bought a Honda".

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Since everyone else from Ohio showed up here.....

All I have to say about VMD is I'm pissed that they had great weather and I couldn't be there (those bastards!)

As for their in-house trackdays- I didn't really notice the lack of weekend dates, I prefer the twilight format with no novices allowed and lots of track time for the $$. There's at least 4 more available on Sundays this year, I'll be at one of them.

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I would go as far as to say Mid-O probably doesn't care as much about the bike stuff, as long as the big car events are still showing up. The threat of losing them is what will force their hand.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Yeah Billy, track has been this way forever. Remember the good old days. Pushing in the first practice well beyond our comfort zones, only because there was no other choice back then. You knew better than me, but plenty of good times at Mid-Ohio. It's an iconic track in America for sure.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Some of you guys complaining about bumps need to go race in Canada. :Poke: :D

8. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

This. Bottom line.

I would go even farther to say Mid-Ohio "accommodates" motorcycles beyond VMD.

9. rwdfun

rwdfun

You guys are talking like the track is 2014 Nelson. The weather and track conditions last weekend were as good as any other track I've been to on it's best day. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that what was actually an amazing event turned into complaining about how racing has fallen in America. Hell, I remember my first time at the old Beave. It was the nicest track I had seen with fresh paving and people we complaining about the "bumps" on the original back stretch.

cav115 and JJJerry like this.
  10. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

See I completely agree with that. That’s why when I see motorcycle people defending the place it makes zero sense to me.
    Beyond the surface the paddock has very limited options for power, hook ups etc. the bathrooms and showers are nasty. Yet people are like this is a premier facility lol.

Ride safe,
    AAron

rcarson15 likes this.
  11. rwdfun

rwdfun

What do you care about the bathrooms and showers. Don't you have an RV with a disco ball :Poke:

And there is a difference between calling it a premiere facility and bagging on it like it's 2014 Nelson. Now those were craptastic bathrooms and showers

Lizard 1 likes this.
  12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to be there either, I have a torn meniscus in my knee which is screwing up all motorcycle related activities this summer!

Just FYI, they are not running the twilights in this format anymore. Now they run them with all three groups. It's a bummer for sure!

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

damn, that sucks! I'd skip it if I hadn't already paid for it (certificate deeply discounted during winter)

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

If you were there during an AMA weekend, in the spectator areas at night - you'd be defending that place too. RV's with disco balls were just the beginning. :D

hotnail likes this.
  15. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Oh I remember the gauntlet and beads. Lol

Ride safe,
    AAron

ekraft84 likes this.
  16. rwdfun

rwdfun

Come on Eddy, we know you are in bed by 8pm on race weekends.

17. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Just calling it the way I see it.
    No one was trying to defend Nelson back then.
    Heck no one has defended Nelson in the last decade.
    Best compliment it would get is ...
    “Nelson is consistent” HaHa!!!

Ride safe,
    AAron

5axis likes this.
  18. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I was just there on Father’s Day for a twilight session and they only had an intermediate and expert grouping.

19. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I'm guessing "up there" is nowhere close. This year we did the RV thing at Road America for the MA round. It seemed like a ghost town. Part of that is the sheer size of the place. It takes a lot of people to make it seem busy. The other part is remembering how crowded and crazy it was in the late 80s /early 90s. The fellow who guided us to our spot just pointed to a area and said close enough, as there were more open RV spaces than occupied ones. He then commented that for Indy weekend, every spot would be filled and it was a challenge to get all the big RVs in. So I'm guessing that MA is nowhere near the those big car events. Still it was a great time and some great racing.

20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Yea I think your right now they have 2 dedicated sessions instead of the open track thing. My bad.