1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami to Key West?

Discussion in 'General' started by gt#179, Nov 6, 2016.

1. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

not racing related (but how much of the BBS is these days??), but I might be in Miami for a day or two (or three) this week. If I go I might throw my 1290 SD-R in the back of the van and one evening if I can get off work early enough, ride out to Key West. Haven't ever been there, and it's a good chance to get out there (you know, take a photo of my bike at the southernmost point? they still do that right?). If I were to leave say the Doral area (airport) around 4pm would that give me enough time to get out there and back at a reasonable hour? From what I've seen it's about a 3 hour ride, assuming a week night would be best (cooler, not as much traffic, etc). Rough idea- leave around 4pm, get there 7pm maybe grab a bite to eat if it doesn't take hours, and be back by 11pm/midnight?

what thinks the inmates? cramming 10lbs of shit into a 5lb sack? or do it while I'm here and have the opportunity?? Not a huge deal but was thinking while I was this close, it might make for a nice ride vs. sitting around in my hotel for the evening (not a big night life kinda guy, especially when I travel for work). Haven't been to Key West and would be nice to check off that box. I may be in the area two or three times a year in the future and could bring a bike with me.

some day for sure I'll ride from Key West to Alaska but that might be a few years from now.

also any recommendations for food or beer in the area would be appreciated. Not sure where I'll be staying yet.

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Sounds a little tight as far as timing goes. I'd rather enjoy being there. As for food, my favorite restaurant by far was El Siboney. We had the paella and it was fantastic. You're supposed to call ahead an hour or so if you want that though. We just sat outside and drank Cuban beer and I smoked a cigar while they made it.

Don't eat on Duval st. It's the general tourist area where they don't put any effort into making good food.

If you go to a seafood place, ask if royal reds are in season. They are seriously amazing shrimp. I think most shrimp are kind of bland but damn those royal reds are awesome. I think we had them in early October so maybe they would still be around.

3. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I checked the timestamps on my photos from my Key West trip way back when, and it looks like I left my buddies house in Hollywood FL around 10am, (EDIT: made it to Florida City FL at 11am), and then took a picture at the southernmost point at Key West at 3pm. This was on a Saturday, though, in February.
    I was solo so I didn't lollygag during any of the gas/food stops I'm sure.

From what I recall I gave myself extra time to get down there and it still took longer than I expected. The speed limits are slow and enforced, and some spots had heavy traffic. Maybe the weekdays are better but still give yourself time.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Might be a little tight. I think it's closer to 4 hours, US-1 south of Key Largo is 4 lanes, but it's not a highway. Traffic is the big question mark. Also, with the time change, it will be dark by the time you get there. Just an FYI.

If you go, try eating at Pop's, small place near the marina.

It would be great if you could start a little earlier, there are some beautiful sights along the way that are best enjoyed in daylight.

5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

for sure i'll check into Royal Reds. Have had them quite a few times (actually found them at a local farmers market last weekend and bought 2 lbs).

I'll probably throw the bike in the back and see if I can get away earlier in the day one of the days. worst case I can cruise around Miami on my bike to find somewhere for dinner. :)
    I just picked up the Pitbull TRS for the back so that makes it easier to put bikes in the van for trips.

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Just go for the ride . Even if you only make the 7 mile bridge and turn around it's worth it . The middle keys are still nice . The cruise ships ruined key west

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its like 35-50mph almost the whole way. Posted speed limit is ~10mph slower at night. You would really have to ride like an ass to make any significant time. The ride is nice in the morning though...kinda sucks when the sun is setting.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I did that route almost every weekend for three years when I lived in the Keys. I lived one mile from the 7 Mile Bridge. It took me 3 hours to Miami, and an hour to Key West if I was headed in the other direction. This was on a 750F. For food, I have to go with the Cracked Conch Café in Marathon. But don't be afraid of the hole in the wall joints along the way...they usually have the best seafood. If you aren't in a super rush, head down Card Sound Rd instead of US1; the scenery is much better in my opinion. Traffic typically sucks until you get past Islamorada, then it opens up a bit.

Your timetable seems a bit optimistic. Someone else suggested just making it to the 7 Mile Bridge...that's not a bad idea unless you really want your bike by the southernmost beacon. Bahia Honda Park is a beautiful area right near the bridge. Good luck and have fun!

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Bring a sturdy chain and lock. Miami has a side they don't show on TV.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

FIXED

Sabre699 likes this.