1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Met a former Champ.

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Dyle, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

Yesterday I had to make the hour drive to the nearest motorcycle shop to get some stuff I just couldnt find anywhere near me. Well because there arent any shops near me. Well as the gentleman was bagging the product that he gave me as it was sitting on his shelf covered in dust. Said he didnt use the Yamma dip any more cause he has his fancy new machine. And the stuff had been sitting on his shelf for over 3 years now.
    So anyways as Im waiting Im noticing some dust coverd trophys sitting on a shelf and I kinda just start browsing them, WERA SB Champ 1979,1980 and 1981 where just the 3 I saw first. He starts telling me a story about how he used to race b4 knee puks where around using duct tape as a puk and then lap after lap using the scrapings off the tape as a marker for his racing lines. Very very cool old guy. So I open my jacket showing him the WERA corner marshall shirt I was wearing and asked who he was. He said his name was Kenneth J Jenkinson. He asked if any older guys still raced the old RDs, RZs and such and gave me at least a couple hours of great stories from being on track with Fast Freddy when he was still a young buck. Made me think about all the great Champions I have seen go on from WERA to the big spot lights. So I told him about the all powerful BBS and sudgested his get on and check out whos still around.
    So anyways I just thought it was very cool meeting a former WERA Champ from all those years ago and wanted to share.

2. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

:up: cool story...

3. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Good stuff :)

4. move/shoot

move/shoot est 1965

That is a neat story. I remember racing with Ken back in the late '70's and early '80's on RDs. It seems like we raced both with WERA and CCS, because we ran together at Daytona. Home made knee pucks, those were the good old days!!

Paul Garland
    Vintage Specialties 101

5. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

Paul if you like I can give you a number to reach him. He really seamed to be interested in where everyone was or was doing these days. He owns a little shop here in Hinesville Ga. Called Liberty Cycle Repairs. Ive got a number on a card if you need it. Very cool guy Ken is.