1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

May Day over Moscow. Flight of the U2.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, May 1, 2020.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Bruh. :eek:

https://www.cia.gov/news-informatio...atured-story-archive/francis-gary-powers.html
    "On the morning of May 1, 1960, Powers was up well before the sun began its morning ascent. Flight preparation required a pilot to don his airtight, partial-pressure suit and begin the ‘prebreathing’ process, which lasted for two hours. This process ensured the pilots would not get the bends. At 5:20am Powers climbed into the cockpit and waited for the signal for takeoff. Because the partial-pressure suits lack ventilation, perspiration is constant, compounded now by the scorching sun that had finally made its appearance. But the temperature was about to drop. After an hour of baking on the runway, Powers was cleared to start his mission. He soared to the sky where the outside temperature fell to sixty degrees below zero."

"On the verge of panic, Powers decided he would climb out of the plane. The whirling aircraft had passed thirty-four thousand feet when he removed the canopy. He took off his seat-belt, which sent him flying halfway out of the aircraft. His face plate frosted over rendering him visionless. Powers tried to get to the destruct switches twice but, realizing time was running out, he began kicking frantically and miraculously the oxygen hoses that were holding him hostage in the U-2 broke and freed him from the spiraling plane."

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

A crazy story for sure.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I kinda got stuck at the "destruct switches". That is some James Bond spy shitte right there! Do Not Push The Red Button.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

That was some Eisenhower shit right there also.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Maybe self destruct just fried the recordings? Surely it wouldn't detonate the thing?

6. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

The self destruct was just to blow the camera and electronic sensing package. The airframe was so lightly built, Lockheed expected it to disintegrate in flight if there was any failure. Turns out they built it sturdier than expected.

7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Pretty good read. I wonder if the coin given to his son was the one they confiscated from him?

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The real kicker is to go from the U2, basically a jet powered glider to the SR71. Screaming across the USSR at mach3+ saying go ahead and shoot at me...ill be back at the Oclub having a drink before your missile gets here.
    Amazing work those guys did back in the day in aviation/aerospace. No computers, no idea how to get it done and yet they did.

418, Wingnut, ducnut and 1 other person like this.
  9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I would do unspeakable things for one flight in an SR-71.

vfrket, ChemGuy and nd4spd like this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

G 97 likes this.
  11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

There is a mural of Gary Powers on a wall alongside US23 in Pound, Virginia just across the state line from Kentucky. I pass it everytime I head to Tally or Barber.

12. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Spielberg's film "Bridge of Spies" was an excellent take on the events surrounding this story and how the eventual prisoner exchange took place.....

Reading this makes me want to watch it again, as I never had the whole story behind his crash....

code3ryder likes this.
  13. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Does Powers still get a bad rap? Or has the general public made him a hero no matter what the story is?

What is the name of the CIA plane (same idea as SR71) that was faster than the SR71? I believe it only had one pilot too?

James May’s show on going up in a U2 is amazing.

14. Cawk Star

15. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I remember reading "Operation Overflight" way back in the day. My dad was in the Air Force and part of a "dark" division that operated U2s for the CIA. He was stationed at EAFB but was gone TDY a good chunk of the time. He was just a Master Sargent working in supply but also in charge of "sensitive" parts and pieces. Back at EAFB the U2s flew in and out of north base. If you google map Edwards Air Force Base you will see north base as a completely separate entity. Better for operating surreptitiously. :)

16. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

There was also a YF-12A. Maybe that is the one that you are thinking of?

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

A12?

18. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

motion likes this.
  19. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Growing up an Air Force brat, especially at EAFB, had it's advantages. I got to see many of these planes on display at air shows and such. :)

I've told the story on here before about going to school with, and befriending the son, of an X-15 pilot.

20. Cawk Star

YF12 was a prototype that supposedly didn’t fly missions - doubt that. A12 is what I was thinking.