1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a track bike legal??????

Discussion in 'General' started by snowman_audio, Mar 12, 2009.

1. snowman_audio

snowman_audio Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, a friend bought a track bike from a different board and has been riding it for about a year or so. We were wondering how can he title this bike to run it on the street? The bike came with a blank frame, so there was never a title for it. He was thinking about buying another frame for the bike and getting the title switched over, but he is looking for a cheaper route since a frame runs about $1100. Can't he put on the lights on it and take it to the dmv and try to get it titled as a custom bike? Kind of like a chopper? Any help on this would be great. Thanks again guys.

PS we are located in florida if that makes any difference.

2. R6Anton

R6Anton Well-Known Member

must have a title to register it, so buying a frame with title is the only way.

3. snowman_audio

So how do the custom chopper builders title a custom bike? If they built it from the frame up where would the title come from?

4. synolimit

synolimit Well-Known Member

all bikes have stamped frames!!! except kawasaki. kawasaki is the only Co that will sell someone a frame strait up. all other Co's ask the dealer to cut the neck off, send it to them and they will restamp it and send u a new frame. if its a kawi then i can see this happening but the guy ur friend bought it from should still have a title unless its stolen or he never paid the bank off and just sold the bike. as for getting a title and in florida your pretty much screwed!!! but like you said only thing u can do is buy a frame which will most likly be salvage, and eather stamp the frame (if its a kawi, if the numbers arnt there then there sanded off and the bikes HOT) or swap (which would be pointless when u can stamp the frame with a stamp set).

good luck salvage frames with titles on ebay are about 500-800 but something doesnt seem right with the whole thing

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  5. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

If they build it from scratch, which most chopper builders don't do because they just buy frames, they must prove they built the frame. Receipts for materials etc...

If your friend bought a bike with no numbers....that's illegal. If it is a replacement frame bought from a dealership to replace a bent or broken frame, the new frame would come with something verifying it. If the numbers on the bike have been ground off, then it's a stolen bike and it should be turned in so your buddy doesn't go to jail at some point.

6. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

Not always, I bought a frame from Honda after I destroyed my RC51. I did not have to turn in my head stock at all. Had a blank spot where the vin should have been stamped. I did get an MSO with it though.

In CA (I used to be there) what you had to do was put all the lights on it, brake lights, headlights, turn signals and reflectors, take it down to the Highway patrol to make sure it was road worthy and the would stamp a VIN for you and give you some paper work that you had to go to the DMV with to get the title.

Check your local highway patrol for this.

Now, if the frame you have is actually stolen and the VIN carefully sanded off, your friend may be SOL. Big question is did he get a bill of sale when he bought the bike?

7. synolimit

well the DMV will no u didnt build that bike if its a sport bike, a chopper has very few parts and u can tell its hand built ect. and they do get a title but its not like a normal florida title like ur car or bikes would have. it will be worded like custom bike ect and if u go to sell say a jap sport bike and the title says custom build bike with " " whatever name on it there prob gona walk away from the deal. ur gona have to just buy a title or title with a frame and swap it.

8. snowman_audio

It is a kawi 05 636 and i have seen the bike it doesn't have any vin numbers and it hasn't been sanded. Were the vin plate is it is just smooth like the rest of the frame.

9. snowman_audio

LOL there is not much stock on the bike. I call it custom. LOL:D

10. snowman_audio

Yes he has a bill of sale, how would that help? I thought this is to protect the buyer and seller during the transaction, but has nothing to do with the title? Right, or and i off?

Thanks again guys for your help.

11. synolimit

wow really i thought honda was the worst to deal with and were the worst with sending them the neck. i guess everyone is different and things change or are differnt in every state.

12. synolimit

ok then yes i believe the owner just crashed the bike and bought a new frame from kawi and then sold it to your friend. he should still of had a title unless he never paid off the loan!! only thing u can do is buy a frame with title unless someone is just selling a title which is not likly. my old work has a 06 636 salvage frame and title in mint condition. its like $700 and easyest thing u could do is buy it and just stamp that number in that frame but then you'll have a perfict frame just laying around with the origanal VIN stamped on it. medinamotorcyclesalvage on ebay just email them