1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a solo cowl

Discussion in 'General' started by HamGSXR750, May 18, 2009.

1. HamGSXR750

HamGSXR750 Well-Known Member

has anyone had any thought as to modifying a stock tail into a solo cowl, using fiberglass?

I have a 2007 triumph daytona 675 which i am slowly piecing together for a trackbike

I acquired a tail which is red, and has a few small scratches, i want a solo cowl but don't have the $ to drop on one, so i thought maybe i could create my own style with fiberglass and lots of bondo and time!!!

Anyone with fiberglass or carbon fiber experience out here????

Also, while im out on the limb, I am considering truing to make this one and try tot mold it, to try to make one of carbon fiber!!!

Am i losing my mind, or do i just want to make something cool???

ANy feedback or pics that may help would be sweet!!!

2. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I've done a good bit of work with fiberglass and to make it look good you're going to have A LOT of time in it. Think 20-30 hours of laying up, sanding, bondo, sanding, repeat. Unless your time is worth nothing, I'd just buy one.

3. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

it's easier to just buy one. if you consider that your time is valuable, it's cheaper, too.

4. QfactorSV

QfactorSV Well-Known Member

you don't need a stupid plastic worthless cover back there.

it serves no purpose at all.

If you are on a tight budget, forgetboutit!

Q

5. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Just buy any solo tail for any bike off ebay. You'd be surprised what you can make fit with a dremel and zip ties. And if you take your time, it'll look pretty good too. No doubt it'll look better then painted ABS plastic with a big huge blob of hand laid fiberglass and bondo sitting on top of it....

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:stupid:

7. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I bill out for my work at rates between $40-80 an hour. I definitely use the value of my time as a consideration, especially if I'm looking to save money and the results need to be close to perfect.
    Now, if I'm merely curious and I want to learn how something is done, I'll go ahead and do it myself. However, after it's all said and done, I will also factor in the value of my time in consideration as to whether it was worth it or not to do it myself. more and more, I'm finding increasing value in paying a professional to do a job, (especially a mechanical/maintenance job) rather than deal with the mess and frustration myself.