1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major respect for bodywork fixers!

Discussion in 'General' started by oldguy, Aug 22, 2005.

1. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

I found out over the weekend that I'm not too terribly bad at painting, but, boy, do I suck at bodywork repair. I knew it when I put the primer on, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna wait until it dries and sand it all off again. I prolly wouldn't do any better the next time :confused:

2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

It's ok, I'll just have to go so fast on the SV that nobody can get a chance to see the bodywork :D

3. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

That's why I always used one light coat of rattle can primer over the repair spots. It will instantly show you what its going to look like with paint and it dries in 5-10 minutes. Once it's to your satisfaction, hit it with the good activated primer.

From my experience, the more time and effort you put into making it perfect, the sooner it is going to meet the ground again. It never fails.

4. oldguy

Buhwaahaaaahaa!
    Now there's the wisdom I was looking for. I don't feel so bad now. I will try your method this winter. I have about 3 months of steady repair work on all the shit I threw in the garage and then bought new. It's taking up so much space I'll have to fix it or burn it. :D

5. oldguy

The old 20/20 rule bumped to 50/50 like I asked, eh? :D

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

NEVER Trash it! If you don't want it, give it to me:) I have plenty of time on my hands after the GNF;)

7. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

ya its not all fun and games , and ya gotta love the itch from the fiberglas :beer:

8. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

cure for fiberglass itch be it bodywork resin/matt assembly, sanding, or insulation. White vinegar pouring liberaly over the area best done in the shower then rinsed off. Also works on clothes unsure what it does exactly breaks down fiberglass, acts as some sort of lubricate, or expands/contracts skin pores just that it works and was taught it by Owens-Corning workers that delt with the stuff daily. (FYI they said it does destroy blue jeans in about a month washing with the vinegar though)

9. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

I'm on a tight budget, but fiber repair me no touchy. It's an expence I'm willing to pay for. :up:

10. oldguy

Isn't vinegar like skunk piss? The smell doesn't really go away for about a week?

11. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Yeah it smells funky but like I said use in the shower then soap and rinse never noticed a smell afterward or had anyone comment about it. Don't soak in it