1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for road trip suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Oct 17, 2019.

1. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

So I'm finding myself with some free time before I start a new job on Oct 28. I was thinking it would be really cool to take a road trip with the bike.

I have a WR250x/r, a pickup truck and roughly 4-5 days to spend. I'd rather not spend most of it driving my truck to/from a destination to do a day or two of riding. I also don't want to slab it 500-600 miles somewhere and back on my WR, my ass would never forgive me.

It's starting to get pretty cold here in the midwest. What suggestions do you have for places to take a nice 2-3 days of riding in maybe in a 5-6 hour radius mostly south of Chicago? An ADV/dual-sport route would be the best. I was thinking of riding the Blue Ridge Parkway but that's 13+ hours away. Black Hills, same deal. You guys must have some good suggestions in Kentucky, southern Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, etc.

2. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

ducnut likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Baltimore is good for dirt bike riding

[​IMG]

Inst Tech, Sabre699, Wingnut and 4 others like this.
  4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yep. Tons of good riding in southern IN.

You can hop the river and checkout LBL.

Best bet is to search FB for dual-sport groups in those area. I have a friend in Indy that frequently rides down there on a TE610, for the forestry/gravel roads.

You could do the bourbon trail, if you’re into that sort of thing.

The TAT starts in around Jellico, TN and is worth looking at.

Butler maps offer a lot of maps with rides.

Backcountry Discovery Routes may have something of interest.

MotorcycleRoads.com is worth a look.

The TWAT is worth looking at.

acorn27 likes this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ride down to RDracers house...1 day.
    Drink his bourbon.....3-4 days.
    Recover....1 day.
    Drive home.....1day

Sabre699 and acorn27 like this.
  8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

:crackup: Heck yeah...game on!

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

+1 on avoiding Brown County this time of year. Southeast Indiana has some great roads, 129, 1,101, highway 50 follows the Ohio River. If you wanted some spectacular scenery, go farther south to the Kentucky/Tennessee line, especially around Dale Hollow Lake.

10. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Boy, driving down to TN and riding the TAT for a few days would be really cool, but I might need more time to prepare. Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll check them out.

ducnut likes this.