1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for input on a how to help a 16 yr old who wants to try road racing?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Josh Mervis, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Josh Mervis

Josh Mervis Member

I am looking for advice/input on how to help my son, who is 16, try to learn road racing?

He's got dirt bike experience, woods riding/racing, but is new to pavement, but he's non-stop asking to try to learn road racing. I've put him off, but it appears he's got his goal set. Grades were met, so I have to follow thru.

I have NO experience in racing, I understand highly competitive athletics, having worked in sports for the past 26 years, but while I enjoy riding my various street and dirt bikes - I can offer nothing to help him, other than support, insistence on the best protective gear, making sure he takes this "in steps, and proper order, not rushing or doing things above his skill level", and that he has to be in great physical shape.

I have explained to him that it's far more dangerous than woods riding, and his Varsity wrestling team.

Beyond that input, I can only ask for advice, and try to find people who have the knowledge and experience to teach, show the way.

Any and all suggestions are sought?

Even if your post is to provide more questions for us to think about, we need the input.

Thank you in advance, and stay safe, and healthy.

JM

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

check out the mini racing forum here. WERA hosts mini rounds at full sized tracks. Probably the least expensive way to get into racing without overwhelming expense. Also a great training tool for progressing riding skill.

DmanSlam and Josh Mervis like this.
  3. Numlock

Numlock Well-Known Member

Riding class/school/coach.
    A good coach should be able to answer any question you and your son have. I’m barely getting into racing but have done a lot of track days. If I could do it again I’d do less track days and more coached sessions. I’m still working on getting rid of bad habits that I’ve learned from other track riders that don’t race or my own assumptions.

Josh Mervis likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what bad habits? Yes there is ALOT of noise coming from all angles in the sport. Hence why I suggested minis as its the little league of motorbiking.

OP should check out @khill thread where he generously posts free podcasts with his extensive knowledge.

Josh Mervis likes this.
  5. k_cotter

k_cotter Well-Known Member

OP where are you located? The in the north east the group at Penguin Racing school and Eric Wood have had great successes recently with their youth rider mentorship program.

KC

burnham, Josh Mervis and joec like this.
  6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If in the north east, come slightly further north to the middle of nowhere Maine; Racing minis/sumos at Boxshop is cheap, small track with a great club atmosphere and he can use the bike(s) he already has to start. Aaron is a great teacher, all of the kids Penguin has had success with came up through Boxshop first.

Josh Mervis and joec like this.
  7. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Grom or Kawi Z125 are
    Great entry bikes to the race world.

Lots of places for mini bike racing.

Josh Mervis likes this.
  8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Where are you guys located?

Josh Mervis likes this.
  10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Start off by taking all of his money on a weekly basis, then push him down the stairs every saturday morning. Start off with like one or 2 steps for a simple lowside, then when he starts to get cocky go for a full flight highside. Tell him this is how he will feel after a beginners weekend of racing. :) Do this for 3 months and if he still wants to do it, take the money you took from him and sign him up for a course somewhere. No idea where you are, or what your local courses are but guys on here can fill in those blanks. Then spend some money on good quality, good fitting gear and go have fun. Lots of cheap used bikes all over the place. Don't even entertain the thought of buying new.

11. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Figuring out which bike to buy and the amount of upgrades allowable is going to vary from club to club and region to region. For ex my ninja 250 superbike has plenty of classes at a CCS race but a lot fewer at a WERA race.

Josh Mervis likes this.
  12. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Don't overwhelm yourself with too many questions. Keep it simple. Not as simple as it was 30 years when I showed up, took the basic riders school and raced but close. Buy a low budget, small twin. Go to a race weekend and observe. Take the basic riders school then go to a real riders school. Enjoy the help that will come to you once you get to the track.

Josh Mervis and sheepofblue like this.
  13. joec

joec brace yourself

I'll just second the guys at nemm and boxshop. Lots of really fast guys instruct at the school and even a few world class riders raced with them as kids. Totally laid back and I can guarantee there will be younger kids there who will teach him a thing or 2.

http://www.nhf-racing.com/

14. joec

joec brace yourself

Oh....I'll add lots of those guys are roadracers too. So plenty of info can be gleaned.

15. Josh Mervis

Josh Mervis Member

Thank you - we are in Indianapolis area.

16. Josh Mervis

Josh Mervis Member

Indianapolis, IN

17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

The closest track to you is Putnam Park (about 45 minutes from you), but they only do track days. Track days aren't racing, but 1-3 of them to get started would be good for getting your boy acclimated with being on a big track and all of distractions associated with it: speed, other bikes, flags, pit in/out, etc...

Most dirt riders do well with racing, once they get an eye for the speed. They have a huge advantage in knowing how to let a bike slide under them. The problem is it's a lot harder to save a slide on pavement.

For a bike, my vote is for a pre-built race bike, preferably a Ninja 250/300 or equivalent. Basically, you don't need to be worrying too much about having the best of anything at first. You just need something that is proven to work acceptably for a bit, while he figures out how to survive. Once he speeds up, you'll be able to know what questions to ask next.

Some trackday orgs don't allow composite helmets, after some head injuries in riders wearing them. That seems prudent to stay away from.

In the winter, there's a group of us in Cincy that ride CRF50's on indoor gokart tracks. It's called the Circus Bear Racing League. I think there's another group in Louisville doing something similar. It's not a race, but it's dang good fun. In the summer, there's a mini org in Ohio called Ohio Mini Roadracing League that races on outdoor gokart tracks. They race everything from XR100's to full sized supermotos. Next to Indy, there's a kart track called Newcastle Motorsports Park that has hosted supermoto races in the past, but I don't think they do it on a routine basis. Minis and Supermoto aren't nearly as fun as big track racing, but it is a great time and a little more easily accessible.

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The next closest real tracks are probably Mid Ohio and Autobahn. Autobahn usually had an April race where it has typically been cold and rainy, so not fun for a first time out.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First step unless you want to dive headlong is come out to a race and talk to people. Otherwise it really is as easy as choosing a bike - minis are great as is a 300/400 for a 16 year old. Buying a used already prepped bike will help a ton. Then get his gear, find an event with a school, go racing. It is confusing at first but very simple to do and we're always here ([email protected]) and at the track to answer questions.

20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

If you want to start with some MiniGP style racing close to you, the Ohio Mini Racing League has a decent season on tracks that are not that far from you in Indiana and Ohio.
    An XR100, TTR125, CRF125 are inexpensive platforms to let him get his first experience on pavement using a platform/geometry he's familiar with already.

Once he's tried that, and wants to venture further, the Ninja 400 is an excellent option to take him into WERA as a Novice.

Tracks relatively close for you are Putnam Park, Mid-Ohio, Autobahn, Grattan, Nelson Ledges, Pitt Raceway, and Summit Point. NJMP's a track within reach of a day's drive, too.

exracer941 likes this.