1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for FZR400 1WG Swingarm and Rear Wheel

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by tgold, Oct 23, 2019.

1. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

As the title says, looking for the 1WG (non-Deltabox) rectangular cross section swingarm. Also interested in the earlier braced rectangular swingarm. I need the rear wheel and cush just to locate the wheel centerline and chainline correctly on my project bike. (R3 motor in the FZR chassis)

Thanks,
    Timm

2. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Took another look a the 3EN1 swingarm and it won't really work for the caliper setup that I want to do, so I'm only looking for a 1WG swingarm.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

pefrey mentioned having swingarms in the frame for sale thread, FYI.

4. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

You could always just not use the caliper bracket of the 3EN1. ;)

5. Boom

Boom Active Member

I have what you need x3 ha

Shoot me a message 302-265-6113

Whats the goal of your project?

6. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

The R3 motor is going in this bike:
    XR650R Project Bike.jpg

The XR motor and the ZX6 front end are gone. The ZX fork was overkill so I'm going back to the stock fork with better internals along with a 4" wide rear wheel and a 3" wide front. I'll be happy with the weight being anywhere south of 285 pounds.

7. britx303

Thats funny.......I contemplated an R3 engine in one of my FZR frames for awhile,and when that spondon framed single popped up the other day I thought about what big single would be cool and a honda XR came to mind. Did you race it with the XR in it?

8. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

1WG swing is on its way. Thanks Rick!

Still looking for a rear wheel and cush drive.

9. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I did a trackday with it. I was surprised by how smooth it was. Pretty easy to bump start too. The main reason I pulled the XR motor is because of the dry sump motor and the need for an external oil tank. The things that made me go a different route: I was too concerned about not getting that oil tank volume and plumbing wrong, I wanted a six speed gearbox, the custom case mods made a quick motor replacement very difficult, and a few other minor things. It could have worked but I wanted a cleaner install. If I were to do it over with a single cylinder, the KTM 690 engine would be the top choice. The R3 motor is cheap and relatively simple to install, but now that the 400 Ninja motors are available I think that's the best choice. I'm mot likely going to stick with the R3 motor just so I can finish the project . It should be super fun to play and it'll be competitive in the 3hr endurance class I run in, but I'm not sure how competitive it'll be in Clubman type classes.

britx303 likes this.
  10. britx303

I built an ex500 in an fzr one time. It was fun but only raced it a few times before tearing it back down for a super stock ex500 racebike instead. I bet a newer engine like the ex400 or r3 will be an absolute blast. I think I raced the fzr/ex in v6lw and clubman..........been a few years. Might even still have the ex500 engine hangers/brackets I made for an fzr frame floating around somewhere

11. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I thought about just buying an entire EX500 I found for $400 and throwing the motor in it but I don't like the relative heaviness of the ex motor. I'd have to do some extra work too because I cut the stock FZR engine cradle mounts off the frame. What I really need to do is get the measurements for the sprocket and wheel centerlines so I can finish mounting the R3 engine and rear wheel. Then I can move forward relatively quickly and get it finished.