1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lookin for a place to start

Discussion in 'General' started by racergrrrl, Apr 17, 2002.

1. racergrrrl

racergrrrl Member

hi y'all. i'm new to ALL of this, but i'm in love with racing already!! i don't even really know how to find some of the information i want, i read through most of the posts on here to learn stuff. I want to know where and/or what people did when they first started racing. i'm looking to buy a bike, hopefully within the year. if anyone has information for me i'd really appreciate it. thanks guys [​IMG]

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

3. whizzif

whizzif Well-Known Member

What kind of bikes are you looking at? You will have to take a riders school (around $350) in order to get your license (around $100). After your riders school you will have to make sure everything is safety wired (brake caliper bolts, oil drain, filler cap, axel nuts/axel, oil filter, all radiator hose fittings, basically anything that could vibrate loose). Personally, I'd buy a cheap starter bike that has already been race prepped. My instructors once told me, you should have a bike out there that you wouldn't be willing to put a stick of dynamite under!! hehee...so...

You'll need good leathers/helmet, gloves, boots, back protector of course.

4. racergrrrl

racergrrrl Member

thanks for the site.....and i have no idea what kind of bike i'm looking for...when i say i'm new to this i really mean it!!! [​IMG] i just went to my first race and totally fell in love with racing. i'm about as new as they get i guess

[This message has been edited by racergrrrl (edited 04-17-2002).]

5. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

come to a race weekend, ask lots of questions

6. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Racergrrl, do you own a bike now? How much riding experience do you have?

7. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Racergrrrl, I would start with a clubman class bike to begin with. You can find EX500's and GS500's rather cheap, and there are upgrades aplenty when you are ready for them. There are much faster bikes/classes. Do yourself a favor and learn proper technique first, then graduate to a faster bike. Any way you look at it though, racing is expensive! Prepare to burn money faster than you get it. Your bike is the cheap part. Tires, gate fees, fuel, entry fees, lodging, spares, etc. really add up. Believe me, if my wife knew how much I actually spend on a weekend of racing, I probably wouldn't be doing it. [​IMG]

8. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

I believe that proper BBS protocol first requires that we determine what type of underwear you prefer, then we can find a suitable bike for you. If it's a thong, we'll definately need the color. [​IMG]

9. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

nice reference to Priest in your address, Mr. X. Racergrrrl, come on out to Talladega on Apr27-28 and see what it's all about and talk to us crazy people like to race. RacerX has good usefull info in his post. Do you ride on the street?

10. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

Don't do!!!!! I'm warning you. It'll take over your life. I was warned not to (race) by another racer before I started. He said I'd lose my girlfriend and slowly slip into debt. Guess what? I'm a single man now and Master Card get a signifcant portion of my salary. I'm telling you, for pete's sake, take up tennis or something.

11. racergrrrl

racergrrrl Member

okay i can't seem to get this across...i'm NEW!!!!!!! [​IMG] as in i haven't even driven a bike, i just KNOW this is somethin i want to do. and i am going to Talladega....can't wait!! so hopefully i'll talk to some of y'all there. and thanks for all the info so far

12. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Look at me now!!! [​IMG]

13. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

Welcome to the madness! [​IMG] Yeah just come out to the track, ask alot of questions and make sure you look up the people you have talked to on here. If you don't see me, you will at least hear me. [​IMG]

------------------
    O==~~
    Mr. Microphone

14. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

OK, I would recommend that you get a bike and take a good racing school and do track days before you jump straight into racing. Especially since you have no riding experience at all. The Kevin Schwantz school at Road Atlanta is very good and you can even take that one without having your own bike. [​IMG] If that one is too expensive, you can take the Ed Bargy school once you have your own bike.

15. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Keep a high limit/low interest credit card on hand.....your gonna need it [​IMG] unless of course your filthy rich [​IMG]

Grab up a solid bike already race prepped ie: GS500, EX500 or even a SV650 USED! learn the basics. As stated above take a riders school along with buying some quality riding gear & we'll see you at the track.....

Good luck & remember to have fun

16. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Well-Known Member

Spend some time playing in the dirt on a XR100 (or similar small dirt bike) before trying to ride on the pavement. You'll learn how to use the clutch, throttle, shift gears, and brake at a much reduced speed compared to the track. Plus when you fall (and you will) the speed is lower and the dirt is easier on the body than pavement. FYI, along with a helmet and goggles buy some motorcross boots for playing in the dirt, you're feet & ankles will love you for it.

FYI, my wife wanted a street bike about a year ago and I made a deal with her. First spend a year on so playing in the dirt on our XR100, then take a MSF course, and finally we'll go find a nice street bike for ya. She only made about 30 minutes on the XR before she crashed and severely jammed her right wrist and shoulder. It took her about 9 pain filled weeks to recover and she decided that riding a bike isn't something is wants to persue at the moment.

If you're in the neighborhood of Pittsboro, NC drop by and you can borrow the XR for some fun on our little dirt oval track.

17. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

Racergrrl why not start with a track day club? They get you on the track in a controlled situation and allow you to ride in classes with similiar type of riders. Go to www.NESBA..com and check them out, they even give you a free intro for a couple of sessions to see if it is right for you. The group is great and there are a lot of people there willing to help out whenever they can. There are also a good amount of females that ride with the club. I'm not sure where you live but you can always come out to one of the events to spectate at no cost. Everyone is friendly and it is fairly laid back with safety be the highest concern. As far as what bike I can only tell you I started out on an EX500 and after 2 tack days with it I was ready for a bigger bike. Personally I would start with an F2 or F3 as the bikes are bullet proof and are not overpowering. I have an F3 for sale that is in street trim but that is not the reason I recommend those bikes. If you would like to see the bike go to: www.sportbikemadnessracing.com under bikes for sale page 2. Good luck and welcome to poverty!

------------------
    Sportbike Madness Racing

18. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

You definitely need to learn how to ride a dirt bike or street bike at the minimum, before even attending a race school. They are not going to want to teach you what the levers do, how to shift, how to countersteer, etc. at a race school.

Get a temp motorcycle permit, take a basic MSF course. You don't need your own bike to take the basic course. Then get your own street bike and license and ride on the street and parking lots to practice your skills. Try to do a lot of maintenance yourself on your own bike.

You can also volunteer to help a racer at the track, and learn various things that way. Club racers usually have to know how do a lot of wrenching, too.

Keep in mind, you'll probably need at the minimum a pickup truck or van to transport your race bike and tools and gear to and from the tracks.

Racing is a lot like owning a horse. The initial price of the horse (or bike) may not be a lot, but the upkeep can be hell.

19. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

I think Pam_G nailed it on the head. You need to learn to ride first (get a small dirt bike and then take the MSF course). In the mean time find a racer/team to hang around with and learn the ropes. After a few times to the track you will get a feel for what type of bike you want to ride. I am getting ready to go through this with my brother's girlfriend as she "has to race" but hasn't really ridden yet either.

One other thing that might help is to find someone with an ATV. You can learn the controls without having to worry about balance. Then move onto bikes and then win the GP championship [​IMG].

20. rob600rider

rob600rider THE MAN

Yes.. [​IMG] i think you need to volunteer to help out a racer [​IMG] The more i think about it the better that idea sounds.. Next time we're gonna wake your ass up and put you to work. [​IMG]
    You've always got me, then of course the superfast guy on a hawk. [​IMG]