1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I spent $615.59 shipped on my ruger 7mm PRC and it only needed the $21 spring, I'll probably switch to a Sharps Bros Heatseeker Chassis at some point and a folder is in its wheel house, spend the money saved on ammo and optic.

skidooboy likes this.
  2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I put the Mcarbo springs in both my Ruger American's. They shoot great, I am just looking at other options. Leaning toward the Bergara Crest in 6.5 PRC. Ski

lizard84 likes this.
  3. lizard84

I like the look of the Creat but it’s heavier than the Ruger despite the barrel being 4.5 inches shorter. Factor in $1000 more expensive and it’s a hard pass for me.

An and encouraging sign last Saturday while I was losing hours in the background check queue at Bass Pro was both 6.5 PRC and 7mm PRC ammunition was available on the shelf.

4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

In stock form the Crest may be a bit heavier than the Ruger american but, Ruger's light, whimpy "cheap" stocks make them feel like a bargain basement firearm (to me). both My american's have the magpul hunter stock, and are better shooting, feel better and look better (to me) than the stock RA packages inc the go wild. Which, I am not a fan just because of the name, and only available in camo. I dont fault anyone for liking them, just not my cup of tea.

Speaking of PRC ammo, 6.5prc is cheaper than creedmoor ammo right now, and widely available to boot. You can find the Crest for 1475 so, they are not super high end guns. I wouldnt even put them in mid range, price. I still think they are on the low end of mid range, and or top of low range. Ski

lizard84 likes this.
  5. lizard84

The only reason to go with a Go Wild edition is the two long action calibers options, I agree that the name is forgettable and the stocks, let alone the color sucks. The barrel length is optimal for velocity and a brake or suppressor. Factor in you can find them over $200 shipped with tax off suggested retail and it’s one of the best bargains out there IMO. They are bargain basement, they just don’t shoot like it.

skidooboy likes this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I’m a lousy long range shot, I’m cheap, I’m not a regular shooter and I bought a French rifle to plink with. I’m out. :D

7. lizard84

In your defense, junior size rifles don’t have the sight radius to facilitate accurate long range shooting. :Poke:

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Didn’t want yet another AR (boring unless you’re going balls out and AR10 based), had mini14 and they’re ridiculously priced, AKs are okay but the ammo sucks and they’re 2 yards moa at 100 feet, cetme is cool af but my hearing is already shot and I’m tired of face full of burnt powder and fn fals are 15 feet long and everyone is buying them to make Rhodesia clones.
    Stole a new in box MAS 49/56 for pennies on the dollar and could get ammo “cheap.”
    Too bad it’s as accurate as an after sex piss.

9. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

cause you bougie like that lol :)

10. lizard84

Pictures are shit but you'll get the idea. Picked up my 7mm PRC today, factory stock wasn't terrible, uneven on one side of the barrel but it was floating all the way. 3.5 lb stock trigger pull. pulled the stock of, installed kit trigger spring, just under 2 lb's . Installed Sharps brothers heatseeker long action chassis, experimenting with rear stocks for now, A2 style grip gots to go, I've always preferred MPA style vertical grips, probably go that route. Chassis uses stock mag and cycles the ammo well. I'm going to get the bolt fluted along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

groundhogday likes this.
  11. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

That thing could kill anything that walks the earth with that.

You got something against Oprah?

12. lizard84

That’s the idea! While Oprah is indeed outside my circle of trust I’ll do what I normally do and ignore her.

I already pulled off the Magpul PRS lite stock, going to try a Fab Defense GL Shock or some alternative with an adjustable cheek piece. Returning the heatseeker A2 also, hate the angle and its heavy, pairing weight where I can.

Got what I think was a great deal on Vortex Vioer PST Gen II, 30mm 5-25x50 1/10 mil FFP optic, they are practically giving them away. It my first MRAD scope, we’ll see how it goes, I’ve always had good luck with the vortex stuff.

13. lizard84

Reconfigured grip and buttstock choice. Mounted optic, time to play once my 160 grain CX shows up, already have some 175 ELDX in hand.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Incredible the accuracy you can get from an inexpensive rifle. I'm very tempted by the Ruger American Hunter. Had been thinking about a Tikka CTR for a minute, but the Ruger is more usable for me with the shorter barrel, comes with a brake, and the stock is adjustable. FWIW it has a heavier barrel contour than the RPR and Predator. Could buy the rifle, rings, and a pretty nice optic for what the CTR alone would cost.

skidooboy likes this.
  15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

My brother in law got to hunt with me this weekend and wants a rifle. I’m pointing him to a Ruger American in 6.5 creed. Sounds like these are a lot of bang for your buck. He’ll shoot it twice a year and won’t know a bad stock.

skidooboy likes this.
  16. Steak Travis

Let me know how it shoots.
    I’m interested in a 7prc

17. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I'm just not sold on the 6.5 round. Curious, how much is 6.5 rounds vs 308?

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

For hunting, it is a good, lower recoil cartridge with good midrange performance. The 308 is cheaper to shoot and has more energy, but at the cost of more recoil and diminishes performance more quickly at increased distance.
    The 308 is a great hunting cartridge and can be a good long distance cartridge. The 6.5 is a great long range target cartridge and a good hunting cartridge.

redtailracing likes this.
  19. Steak Travis

6.5 kicks less shoot flatter and kills them dead

look up hornady eldx or eld m match bullets and for cheaper look up the American white tail or federal fusion. Looks to be pretty close but not as cheap as cheap 308

that speck is a DRT hog with 6.5 at 178 yards ranged. I used a match bullet I reloaded

[​IMG]

20. Steak Travis

The tikka’s have a $75 rebate now and on eurooptic a t3x would be $609add transfer fee and you are around $650 plus tax . Not bad