1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loading race bike in pickup

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Jul 31, 2018.

1. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

I am thinking about hauling the bike in the back of a truck and was hoping there was a good way of loading. Truck is 4 wheel drive, so it’s a little higher. Been using the same trailer for 35 years. Thanks

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Long, wide ramp. More is key here. Trust me.

panthercity and 418 like this.
  3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Two ramps, ramp and ice chest, both work well, put a baxley in the front and then it will stand up while you tie it in place.

panthercity likes this.
  4. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

Having a curved ramp helps also. Mine have an slight arc that helps keep you from catching on any bodywork. I have 2 of them and use one for bike & one for me.

panthercity and Chaplain45 like this.
  5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Crank it up and ride it in. Film it.

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

My neighbor last summer did this. I saw him and his son heading to the driveway between the townhouse buildings with his pickup and his Harley and asked if they wanted help, “no we are good”. I am outside is bit later and they are messing around the pickup so I walk over. The bed of the truck at the back of the cab is punched in far enough to push the cab right there in a good couple of inches. They are taking out the back seat. First trying to bend the bed back so they can try to push that part of the cab back out. They were not too successful. :D

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

tail gate height from the ground?
    A running bike is easy... just make sure the ramp is secured to the truck.

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Like a ramp? Loading dock is easy for you higher types but you'll need another to get it out. Ramp you take with you.

9. Steve H

Steve H Well-Known Member

Curved ramps so you don’t drag the bottom especially coming off.

Mine have tie down type attachments to the tow bar which prevents any chance of them moving.

$182 in Lowes which is cheap considering the convenience and safety they provide

Phl218 likes this.
  10. 418

418 Expert #59

2X6 with some chicken wire stapled to it.

Eh? @Phl218

11. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yup:
    2x10”, 10ft long, load and unload after 7 beers risk free, well, i slipped once sober and dropped one ramp piece. Tracror supply 2 by adapters, 20 bucks on sale https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/lund-ramp-kit. The 2x’s 20 bucks and a nice flat loading angle.
    No prob loading the duc and a walk in the park with the 450

Attached Files:

13. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

14. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

Build a crane

16. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Probably been said but ratchet strap the ramp to the bumper or hitch. Don’t need the rear you’re kicking the ramp off be tailgate.

ToofPic likes this.
  17. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

[​IMG]

Phl218, 5axis, Ra.Ge. Raptor and 2 others like this.
  18. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Thats awesome!! The boot flying to the back made it!!He couldnt say"Hold my beer" cause he already drank all of them!:timeforabeer:

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've been hauling bikes in pickups for over 20 years, everything from an SL125 to an FJR1300. Piece of cake, just get two ramps and you're set. I'm still using the ramps I bought at Home Depot 20+ years ago. Loaded the FJR myself just a couple of months ago. My best was fitting an RZ350, MZ Skorpion and a CBR900RR for a race weekend.

[​IMG]

ToofPic and panthercity like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

Breaks down into three different pieces which all fold so they fit easily in a short bed. There is absolutely no point in screwing around with single ramps and coolers and all that shit - which I did for many years from a 2x10 up to nicer aluminum and so on.