1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liquid filled tire gauge

Discussion in 'Tech' started by stymie12000, Dec 25, 2007.

1. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

I am looking for a good Tire gauge that is liquid filled. I would like one with a decent size gauge, maybe in the 3" or bigger.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

2. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

3. stymie12000

I was looking at the quickcar gauges. Does anybody have any reviews of this one? I like it because it is from 0-40psi not 0-60

4. bmoore2031

bmoore2031 Well-Known Member

Is there a reason you want liquid filled? I don't recomend liquid filled because they must be vented and sometime they leak the glycerin they r filled with.. Also the liquid filling is to dampen the needle, when checking air pressure you don't need that damping. Also they are much more difficult to repair if droped..

Check Mcmaster Carr, you can get a good gauge seperately and build the rest. Or summit racing has premade ones and does free shipping.

5. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I have the quickcar guage. They have 2 different ones...a 60psi or a 40. I got the 60 because I also use it on my truck and everything else. First one I bought got dropped or something and it didn't work right after that. I liked it so much I bought another one just like it. Only complaint is the valve is at a 45 degree angle which makes it very difficult to get to the valve stem on your front wheel unless you have the 90 degree stems

6. bmoore2031

7. stymie12000

You do have a point. It would be very easy to get a motorcycle tire over 40psi. I thought it would get a more accurate reading with the 40psi but if it gets overinflated then it won't be accurate at all.

8. SPATT

SPATT In a gravel pit near you

seems to me the more narrow your window the more accurate the guage would be. E.G. torque wrench that reads 10-200 lbs vs 1-10 lbs more if you could get a 20-40lb I think you would best off.

merry christmas stymie!!

9. stymie12000

That is the logic that I was thinking but if you damage the gauge by going over the max then it won't be accurate at all.

Maybe I will go with a digital gauge and have it calibrated.

Merry Christmas

10. SPATT

I like this one personally

might just be the colors

11. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

I researched a ton of gauge and I decided on the Intercomp 0 to 60psi gauge, Model #360060

[​IMG]

A few things to think about...

1. 0 to 60 I think is the best for motorcycle tires. In general most racers are looking at tire pressures between 25 and 35psi (I know some N-tec tires are crazy low pressures).
    2. Most gauge manufacturers will tell you that in the first 20% of the range and the last 20% of the range the pressure is not to the highest accuracy. On a 0 to 30 gauge the last 6psi is in the in accuracy range.
    3. I find it easier to read the guage with the needle pointing straight up.
    4. The Intercomp guage can be "Calibrated"
    5. the 4" face is huge you can see a 0.5psi change with zero problems.
    6. my guage was spot on when it came out of the box to calibrated 20psi, 30psi and 40psi sources.

[​IMG]

12. SPATT

gothicbeast's The Intercomp 0 to 60psi gauge, Model #360060 with a quick google search looks like a deal at $50 bucks.:beer:

13. bambam454

bambam454 Well-Known Member

i have the 0 - 60 from quick car. jon at ctr usually keeps a couple on his trailer. it was a couple of bucks more than i could have gotten it on line but since he supports us i figured it was worth it.

14. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

A good place to look:
    http://www.getagauge.com/

I like the Accu-Guage brand - they will recalibrate it for it's life for only $3.00 for return shipping... :up:

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Been using the Accu Guage for a few years with the straight end.
    Havent found a stem it wont work on yet.

About $15 at most autoparts

16. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Snap On.

Our snap-on gauge is about 17 years old and is perfect. Within a 1/4-1/2 pound of everyone's check gauges. Even the ultra accurate gauge checkers that are used for nitrogen pressure at my work. It has never been adjusted and certainly has not lived an easy life as it has been the primary race and everything gauge for my family since new. I bought another high end liquid filled gauge and when properly calibrated (a bitch to do) it was almost as accurate as the snap-on gauge for about 3 months after that it would go one way or the other a half pound and just get worse unless it travelled in the front of the truck. Dropping it, forget about it.

17. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Bourdon tube gauges (like these) are most accurate in the middle 60% of the range. So, basically, throw out the top and bottom 20% and that means get the 0-60 psi gauge.

I like glycerin filled gauges and if you are serious about being accurate with what is in the tire, don't look for the inexpensive gauge (the cheap one) but look for the more accurate one, whether it costs more or less.

Since the tire is basically your only connection to the track, it might be worth a few extra $$$ to know what is going on as far as accurate pressure.

Just my $0.02

18. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I went through 3 of them in 1.5 seasons...IMO they are overpriced crap. Even before the bleed valve failed (that's the recurring problem I had), they weren't any more accurate than the $20 one I bought at AutoZone.

Also, be aware that liquid filled gauges will read differently depending on ambient temp. In more than one gauge test, the cheap Rodegear digital jobbers were most accurate...but they don't look cool like the big ones.

19. bmoore2031

a company called transcat is where we get all our test gauges at work. You can get really anal and use a digtal manometer too. 27.7 inches of water equals one pound of pressure.

20. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

I have the quickcar gauges and they work well.