1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightest tire to free up some horsepower for Dyno #s

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Bluedevilfan, May 24, 2010.

1. Bluedevilfan

Bluedevilfan Member

Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm looking for knowledge about tires. I'm trying to shed some rotational mass to maximize my dyno #s. I'm currently running Pilot Power 2CTS and my dyno guy said they are robbing the charts. What is the lightest tire I should be looking for? Someone told me a BattleAxe, but they couldn't tell me what series.

This tire is strictly going to be used for dyno pulls nothing more. When pulls are done, I will have my 2CTs or Pilot Pures put back on. These charts are just for documenting my mechanic's work/mods performed.

Can anybody advise me a light tire?

Thanks!

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

youre kidding??

Try airing the tire up to max pressure to find the traction limit. A few psi below will be ideal

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Find an old one that has had burnouts done to em.

4. Bluedevilfan

Bluedevilfan Member

Thanks for the reply. Is the your kidding statement sarcasm or a genuinely meant "your kidding" It's hard to read the emotions of someone responding to a question. I'm definitely not a genius when it comes to everything performance. Just going on the words of a professional tuner. :)

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Don't you think that will skew your results slightly then? The purpose of a dyno is to measure what changes in HP are achieved from a baseline and then after mods are done. Not a dick length measuring tool.

If you want to get the most HP out of dyno pull just be sure to run race gas through it during the pull, it will be good for 4-5hp if the bike is mapped for it.

then you can go back to normal pump and show everyone your dyno sheet. You could wear it like a codpiece :)

6. Bluedevilfan

Bluedevilfan Member

Thanks Cajun! I wanted to find a takeoff or something like that.

7. Bluedevilfan

Bluedevilfan Member

I understand what your saying... Just wanted to see what the bike could pull.... The comments on the dyno sheets would note what I used to achieve those numbers. As far as a measuring tool....doesn't really come into play for me. Everybody in my area that competes in D$#@ measuring is riding a turbo/NOS Busa or a turbo/NOS 1000. I don't want or need NOS or turbo. Stock wheelbase...I like twisties. :up:

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I like my codpieces laminated and stored in my tail section or tank bag. :D

9. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

Michelin Power Pures..

10. Bluedevilfan

Bluedevilfan Member

Thanks VRC. I was thinking about the Pures.

11. paintedblue

paintedblue in motion...

i'd go with these. they are made of carbon and can be color matched. :D

[​IMG]

12. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Don't forget to move axle all the way forward and put on a shorter / lighter chain. That's some power robbing weight right there.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Not a good idea.... It needs to be a good thick DOT for safety reasons... I have even heard of good slicks blowing out on Dyno's due to their construction... At least that is what Charlie @ HFD1 told me....

14. crepitus

crepitus I gots nuthin

I use the hell outta those Michelins. Very nice tire. Not too bad wet traction for a slick either. I imagine the dyno wheel would make a nasty flat spot on them though.

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

If you're not kidding about only being interested in the difference the mods make, then dyno your before and after with exactly the same setup. If you are doing otherwise, you're measuring something different (specifically, the mods + whatever setup change).

If you are not interested in that, just have the tuner tweak the numbers until you're happy. That's what DynoJet and SuperFlow systems do anyway :P Factory Pro is the only one that doesn't (when operated correctly) and nowadays with inflated dyno numbers being the norm, that's still useless for comparisons between not-successive runs.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's not pretty when they come apart in the truck.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Remove the rear brake disk too. Helium in the tire.:up:

18. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Remove the valve stem cap too. Every bit helps.

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

At Greater Amphetamine Speedway!

Nighttime Dyno Races!

Top Fuel Bragging rights to all the winners!

Don't miss it!

20. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

So your saying, or he is saying that it will blow up on the dyno but not at the track? :rolleyes: I really want to hear the explanation on this one. :beer: