1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lettering on leathers

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Jan 23, 2017.

1. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

is there a switch to arm or disarm the inflation device so it won't deploy by accident? seems to me they'll letter up and the suit would repair like any other but you'd need an engineering degree and the components to reset the airbag. bill and darethea

2. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't deploy without closing the buttons at the top of the zipper. The light on the arm will be off. I'm sure you could still set it off somehow but it should be in "transport mode" when the light is off.

3. When you button it at the top of the zipper (at the neck), that initially activates it.

Then it fully activates once you reach 30mph (so it won't inflate if you trip in the pits or something).

There is a "dummy" button protector thing that you put on there when you aren't wearing it (or when it is being transported).

So either putting that on (or just leaving it unbuttoned) will ensure it doesn't inflate during transportation.

4. barnacle bill

interesting. I wondered about it falling off the top shelf in the delivery truck or getting tossed around at the transferr terminal. but if it's not buttoned then it's not armed. thanks for the info! bill and darethea

5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Serious question. How many pairs of boots do you have?

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I've got a spidi suit that I've gained a couple LB's (BEER) since being 20 that I still fit in it but it could use some room. Is it something thats easy to add or just go a size up in suit?

7. barnacle bill

yes we do alterations. give me a call. 859 336 7375

8. Racing or street?

For racing I wear the Daytona's which have the inner Carbon Fiber boot and outer (replaceable) shell. I have 2 sets of the bases (CF shells) plus 2 sets of the outer covers. So I reckon in total, it works out to be 4 pairs.

For the street, ive got about 5-6 different ones. It just depends on what kind of riding or the weather or the distance, etc.

9. Yep. It has to be buttoned, then reach 30mph. Then once it falls below 30mph it deactivates automatically.

So if it wasn't buttoned, it would never activate. Then even if it was buttoned, and activated, then one of the guys at the terminal threw it on the ground, it still wouldn't inflate because the guy wouldn't be going 30mph.

Like i said, my first ones had to be delivered from Italy and they were fine. Then we're sent off for lettering with no issues.

There are algorithms built into the deployment software and it is only supposed to inflate if it detects an injury is possible.

For example, I had a simple low side one time and the suit didn't inflate as I was sliding on the ground. But then I hit some curbing that sent me up in the air to make me start tumbling. As soon as I went in the air to start tumbling, the suit inflated.

Back in 2012 (I think) I ran off at Tally and couldn't get stopped because the ground was drenched from rain. I ran into a fence head on. Before my ass had even left the seat, the airbag was deployed.

It "learns" you and your tendencies, the forces you typically generate, etc as you start riding after first getting the suit.

According to the rate of deceleration, the suit knew the difference between me braking really hard or hitting something. It had already made that determination and inflated before my ass had even left the seat (to go flying over the bars) and was fully inflated as I went flying into the fence.

I went shoulder first into the post and have no doubts the suit prevented injuries.

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Anyone else feel sorry for Broome's suit ... trying to figure him out. :crackup:

11. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Makes me wanna get one. Hmmm...

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I just thought that once you'd got a slight scuff on a toe slider or the like you'd have put on a new pair.

It's pretty handy that you have problem because it means there are plenty of bargains at STG for the rest of us.

13. I do what I can to help. :D

14. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

15. I had the Dainese "Trickster" Roo suit prior to going with the D-Air and I don't remember noticing any difference in thickness.

The D-Air is a lil heavier because of the computer and airbag. But it is still really comfortable.

16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The Dianese is the nicest suit I've ever owned, hands down. Even without the airbag option. Just a well made product IMO. Some of the custom order suits look more professional with all of the logos, etc, but if that's important to you, the D-custom shop can make whatever you want.

I waited until they came stateside before buying one, as I had a teammate who ordered from Italy and it was a similar nightmare to Broome's situation. Getting it recharged was even worse. The technology is really cool, and I hope if I have another serious get off, it might save me some broken bones. The time I lost with work when my collarbone was broken was enough to pay for 5 D-air suits, so for me it was a no brainer.

Plus my old suit was all scratched up and shit.

17. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

The trickster roo suit is pretty light and comfortable right out of the bag. It feels like you are wearing your PJ's or having a "pre broken in" suit. if you really want kangaroo and D-Air, Dainese will have out middle of the year the new Mugello R suit- it has a revised D-air system along with kangaroo leather. They have had a kangaroo version available thru custom works for a while but this will be off the shelf sizing and fit with some changes to the air bag system (more coverage). and a few other new things (hydration bladder in the hump). In the $4500 range for you big spenders out there. :) Ditto for the street DAir jackets, the new leather and gore-tex jackets will be out mid year as well.

19. caferace

caferace No.

So, knowing that it will be retired after a single use, the suit tries really extra hard to do the right thing? :D

-jim