1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk tire changers

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jul 17, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a very nice NoMar, but frankly, my technique is not good and I rassle with it too much. Its not fun. I don't really want to spend $5K on a pneumatic setup and there is nothing available used on Craigslist in my area suitable for bike tires.

I have 10 bikes in the rental fleet now, so changing rear tires is a fact of life for me.

Any alternatives?

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Get a Messican to do it.

3. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Someone here (TLR67 maybe?) has a hookup on a reasonably priced electric/air unit. If you search I think it was discussed a few months ago.

23103a and TurboBlew like this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

do 10 changes in a row on the no-mar with a warm tire and you will find the last change to slip right on. bead in center and leverage is key.

5. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

We have an older Coseng unit at the garage. Like my No-Mar much better.

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Several years ago I did about 20-30 tires for a lot of my collection and got to the point I could do it with my eyes closed. Nowadays, I'm hella old and forget everything if 2 weeks goes by.

KneeDragger_c69 and Phl218 like this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

have a video running , i haven't changed one in months, but it's always good to recall through video, especially for starting points and where to seat the bead, use clamps, etc.

10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Dawn dish soap and water and tire spoons bro. I break the bead with a piece of shit harbor freight stand I have and change tires with spoons.

YamRZ350 and JBall like this.
  11. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

TLR67 is our resident tire machine guy. I got a quote some time ago and it was very reasonable.

I will be getting one from him next year at some point once the move is complete.

12. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Greg Smith, Derek Weaver etc all have tire changers for about $1300 shipped and they work fine. We have bought at least 3 over the last 15 years and all worked great until the hose broke. Usually an easy fix. Sometimes the plastic foot air valves will leak so we install a cutoff at the machine to keep our compressor from running all the time.
    I thought these were going to be disposable but they keep going. The newer ones have been a little better than the old ones.

13. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

lol I have a harbor freight jobber and fight that sucker till I get them on there. I bet the No Mar is a peach lol.

LOL wait why does the "fuzzy fruit" get changed to *grapefruite*

14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

You still need good technique with a pneumatic changer.

backbone likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I keep waiting for the Dewalt 20V auto-everything tire changer to come out.

Ducti89, The.Johnner and ronin1052 like this.
  16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Speaking of auto, I have to strip tires off 8 wheels...4 from the Jeep and 4 from the trailer. I don't think I'm gonna like my Coats 220 too much after that, never tried an auto tire.
    Thankfully, I'm not remounting any.

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I have a No-mar.

It works great as I walk past it to put the wheels in my truck and drop them off at my local mechanic.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  18. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Just watch some of their videos and copy exactly what they do.

I have a harbor freight motorcycle tire changer and it is a breeze. I have a no-mar mount/remount bar and a homemade bar that uses and actual duckhead. Both work great but I prefer the homemade bar.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

anything <9" wide isnt bad. I did some 12" wide rims with slicks and it was easy. An LT tire was doable but not something Id do often.

20. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Ditto, BTDT - Began to question my sanity. But many of my early learning-curve tire changes were old, skinny, rock-hard bias plys.
    A certain 20+ year-old Metzler ME77B comes to mind...was this close >||< to firing up the cutting torch. OMFG.

But it got better. Worked past all the ancient rubber, did more wide, soft sport radials, and developed a bit of 'technique'.
    Piece of cake now, though not particularly fond of the rim-clamping arrangement. Agree that keeping the bead in drop center is the key.
    Never tried a car tire, but tempted...