1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk tank grips...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kelbor, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

What tank grips are you guys using and why?

I have used Stomp Grips in the past but am not a huge fan of those large knobs.....

Thanks!

2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

tech spec. smaller grip than the stomp, i prefer them. think i bought em from rdiers discount. they are not too pricy.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

4. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I use the tech-spec stuff. It grips fine for me...not that I had much trouble without them in the first place, but everyone seems to love them so I bought a pair. Plus, the "re-usable" glue actually works. I have my same one set of tank pads on my third fuel tank now.

5. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Tech Spec...their new stuff is really nice

Ken

6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Spray on bed liner. OK, laugh.:eek: So far, works for me.

Attached Files:

7. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I have used both and I didn't like the Stomp Grip as much either. The Stomp Grip seems like it relies on pressure against the "cleats" to hold you in place whereas the Tech Spec uses the grip of the material itself so you don't have to clamp down as hard with your knees to do the job. BUT, I have not used the Stomp Grip on track. It may work better when used in anger.

On the squidly side, the Tech Spec doesn't poke your thighs through your pants when riding in jeans.

jrsamples - That is a pretty clever way to get the job done too.

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Ive had both.

I like the looks of the tech spec better, but stop grips glue is a lot better.

There is a little corner on my tech spec that no matter how i try i cant get to glue. Never had the problem with stomp grip.

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I've ripped stomp grips off one bike and put them on another FWIW. I like them enough to not try anything else at the moment.

10. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I like the HT MOTO tank pads. Doesn't leave behind gunk if u peel it off. Doesn't hammer leathers, have multiple colors available, can reuse as well.

11. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Never had good luck affixing Stomp Grip to anything, it always peeled up at the edges when riding. Using Tech. spec. now with great success.

12. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

Tank Tredz

13. cMac

cMac Conservatively Libral

I have some left over bed liner im going to try.

14. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

I've used tech spec and HT Moto and I like both. I destroyed a tank earlier this year and transfered HT Moto's without a problem (and the seat foam), plus the come in pretty sweet colors.

15. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I've only used stomp grip. On a race bike it's great but on the street it's a little extreme. I want to try the tech spec's on my SV though.

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I thought I couldn't ride without them ... until I did. Now, I can't remember why I used them in the first place.

17. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

How's that Arata work on the SV?

mmmmm looks perty...

18. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

So, did you just outline the area with tape and then apply the spray-on bed-liner or is there more to it than that?

19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Well, it was a yeller bike and my leathers are red and black.:D So I was painting the whole thing anyway.

I had experimented with the bed liner stuff before as I had a fender that would not take paint. I guess that some brake fluid got into the weave and I could never get the paint to not peel. As a last resort, I tried bed liner spray. What do you know, it stuck very well. I clear coated over it. I found that it had a good grip and started to think about it for a tank grip.

I taped off and applied the bed liner spray first. Then I applied the red with just a 1/16 overlap on the edge of the bed liner. Clear coated it all. I like the grip so far.

I've got Tech Spec on another bike and it feels as slick to me as just a plain tank.
    The whole system is very light. I'm thinking that it is not going to crash too well, though.:D

20. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Tech Spec, I have tried Stomp Grip and even used spray-on bed liner (sanded my suit nicely!!). The TS stuff is my preference by far, great grip, easy on the suit and stays in place...