1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk building/outdoor internet security cams

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Aug 4, 2021.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I need something that can do multiple cams and be fed over the internet for alerts. Think remote building that will not initially have vicious attack Shelties that needs to be monitored until everything gets setup.

Any not insane recommendations.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Surely you jest.

R Acree likes this.
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

beac83 and sheepofblue like this.
  4. Mind wiring or want completely wireless? I have a few completely wireless Arlo 3’s (think they are the 3’s) that work awesome. Also have some off brand Wyze stuff out in the woods that work better than any trail cam I’ve ever had. Plus with a battery / solar powered repeater I get full WiFi out there.

5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've been happy with the Nest IQ ones.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Talk to me Goose.... Seems like that could be very handy at the track for remote printing and such.

7. sheepofblue

I figure I might as well wire as they will be up high and power has to get there anyway. The POE link above is attractive for that reason.

8. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

POE will require a POE capable switch, or a POE injector.
    Drives the cost, improves reliability, but limited to ~100 meters.
    Wireless can be very effective with directional gain antennas.
    This config requires a stable mounting platform.

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I never jest. And dont call me Shirley.

Sabre699 likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Anyone have any experience/opinions on the Ring stuff. Have the Ring doorbell/cam, thinking of adding a few of the additional Ring cameras to the setup.

11. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

yes, do not get Ring.
    hence, why i suggested Nest

12. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Have 2 different ones of Amazon. One is Heim Link, and the other is Chortau.
    Wireless setups, with micro SD card recording that is accessible anywhere.
    Been pretty happy with them, and picture quality on both is great

13. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

There are several other, older threads on this topic as well.

Most of the IP Camera systems/recorders like the Lorex, Swann, etc. will provide POE power for cameras.

sheepofblue likes this.
  14. Simple really. Small 12v battery with small inverter (mines one I made at work but any will do).

15. sheepofblue

16. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I current have a Swann and am not a fan. Android app is crap.

17. cnk

cnk Member

I use 4K Lorex POE cameras and have been happy with them. Keep in mind that if you mount them up high, you are just capturing the activity. If you want to be able to ID folks, you'll want to mount them no higher than 9-11' so that you can get good facial captures. There are ways to jam wireless cameras so wired is always the best way to go if you don't mind running the wires.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Meh, I'm lazy and want to buy one :crackup:

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I have the doorbell, 4 of the wired floodlight and 2 of the battery powered spotlight cameras around the house.

They work well for me and my purposes.

20. karls

karls Well-Known Member

Have a couple of Annke NVR's with POE, running several hundred feet Ethernet cables and no issues, if I needed to run further can use injectors. They do have motion alerts, but that would be an area that I wouldn't call the best as the sensitivity doesn't adjust linear, either catches everything including bugs or nothing