1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lessons you've learned the hard way, racing motorcycles

Discussion in 'General' started by adrenalist, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

"If I had a dollar......."

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I had to resort to that trick too. I wish I could claim that it was to remember my grid positions, but it was way worse than that. Because of one particular bike, I got into the habit of rolling onto the grid at the end of the warm up lap in second gear (because it was too damn jerky in first). I would roll into my position, pull the clutch in, and wait for the start. That led to a few clenched-butthole moments.

My piece of tape said "1st GEAR."

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Best advice I got was indirectly from Eddie Lawson. He said: If there is someone right behind you, NEVER look back at them. It does two things.......irritates the hell out of them because you refuse to acknowledge their presence, and breaks your concentration.

Additionally, I'm one of those sick puppies that LIKE racing in the rain.

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Home Depot sealer is not intended to be used on a race track.

hotnail, JBall and G 97 like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It was worse when they had the construction company and stored supplies over where the MX garage is now. You'd see all sorts of 5 gallon pails of different sealers for driveways and roofs and everything else then guess which one was going on the track :D

6. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

:eek:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Long long ago and they were pretty new to the whole roadcourse stuff. High end sealants with grip didn't exist at the time either.

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Why the clenched butthole? Just didn't start with enough rpm and stalled it?

Before I got good at starts, I actually purposely started in 2nd a couple times. Got tired of losing my ass on starts from turning the front end into a pogo stick and intermittently lurching forward until I could catch another gear. So I tried to cheat and start in 2nd a couple times. Still didn't get good starts but at least was bouncing the front all over.

Finally decided I had to fix the problem. Ordered a new clutch and took the bike out to a huge church parking lot in the middle of nowhere while it was empty. Had my buddy be my flag man. Practiced my starts til I burnt the clutch up. Still wasn't happy so I grabbed the tools and parts out of the truck, put new clutch and oil in right there in the parking lot and kept going til I burnt up the second clutch. Packed up, went home, ordered another new clutch. Pretty sure I led into T1 almost every race I entered from then till quit racing (roughly 10-12 weekends, usually 3-4 races each weekend).

9. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

ok.. now youre just giving away trade secrets!

10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Meh, I was less concerned about getting an early lead and more concerned about not being in the middle of the T1 clusterfuck. :crackup: Hell I knew I was gonna lose half those positions back by the end of the first lap but T1 was always the only thing that made my butthole pucker every race.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

In a manner of speaking. Not enough rpm for a second-gear launch. Never quite stalled it, though.
    Turns out bikes start much better in first gear. :D

12. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

This is hilarious! Lmao!

I've learned a ton here. I will be using everything I've learned in this thread when I finally get on the grid. (Currently working on the acquisition side of things right now.) It's really, really, humbly appreciated. Thank you all so much!

:beer:

*just bookmarked this thread*

V5 Racer, Cam Morehead and caferace like this.
  13. caferace

caferace No.

I'll add one.

If you're not having fun, stop. *

-jim

* not in the middle of a race.

badmoon692008 and TLR67 like this.