1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesser known tips

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dave3593, Mar 11, 2023.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Let's share some of the things we have learned that are a big help.

I recently damaged a piston on one of my two strokes. Some aluminum from the piston stuck to the steel cylinder sleeve. Muratic acid dissolved the aluminum easily without damaging the steel liner. Then just a light hone and all is ready for a new piston. I have heard this works with plated cylinders also but have not tried it there. Be careful with this stuff because muratic acid is very aggressive.

What tips do you have?

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Supposedly, acid can induce a psychedelic reaction years after it's been ingested. :D

- If you have an allen head bolt that has stripped out a bit, put a steel drift pin over the hex and smack it with a hammer. This pushes material back into the head of the bolt, likely giving renewed purchase for your allen bit.

- Thread chasers, or taps and dies, for when you have those fasteners that won't spin freely by hand. It's what makes having t-handles worth it.

- Clutch holding tool? Got an old gear laying around? Cut it into an arc to fit tighter spaces. Use it to lock up the primary.

- Gonna be ridin' in the mud or slingin' that desert dirt that's been watered down all over your bike? Hose it down with WD before the mud gets caked on. It will wash off more readily.

- Propane torch...they're cheap. Bent levers/pedals can be heated and returned to shape with less chance of breakage. Replace the part at your earliest convenience cuz the alu won't have the same rigidity after this heating. And, obviously, for heating other things that don't otherwise want to come loose.

- Microfiber rags...buy a bag full. They'll remove bugs from helmets, visors, leathers and bodywork with plain water and are lint-free. Add some chemical and they'll strip your wheels of brake dust, chain lube and tire compound. For wiping down anything and everything. Wring 'em out and use 'em again and again. Toss 'em in the laundry.

- Hunkatwobyfour. It never fails to be needed when everything else fails. :D Various lengths. Prying, spacing, hammering...use it as the tool or as a soft backing for whatever you're prying/hammering on/against.

- Carpet remnants, cut to size. For under your feet, under your bike, at/under your work bench. You don't want to be dropping that shiny new piston on bare concrete nor crawling around in/on the sand/gravel/hot pavement when at the track if you have to do some maintenance.

- Water jugs like this. It's like having running water for simple paddock set-ups. I set one on the trailer fender. I also keep a towel hangin' from the EzUp above. They're generally 2.5 gals and last quite a while (a number of events) if you're frugal with their use.
    416OCoby4qL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Riding tip for rear brake use...
    - Drag the rear in decreasing radius turns to suck the bike into the turn.

Will9465, RichMangus and dave3593 like this.