1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal Experts

Discussion in 'General' started by Ahab, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're involved in a drag race and one dies you can be charged with homicide. Will it stick? Dunno but pretty sure the charges are right on, same with street racing cars and such.

3. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

The charges were "vehicular homicide, racing and reckless driving."

Sounds right to me, although I haven't read the GA statute.

4. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

That would be about right down here.

5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

The guy that crashed has an unfair advantage. 1000cc against 600cc, that's crap.

6. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

The guy initially stopped and then left the scene. That definitely didn't help his case. I don't know what was going through his mind at the time or if he called 911 first but wow...

I'd be willing to bet that there is absolutely no basis behind the street racing charge. They just know there were two bikes hauling ass, which happens all the time without them being engaged in racing. I understand WHY they charge someone with vehicular homicide in a ridiculous attempt to discourage street racing, but I don't agree with ruining two lives because of the incident. There is too much missing information in that article to be sure, but what is in there suggests that they only have proof he is guilty of violating the speed limit and leaving the scene of an accident.

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Guy was probably his buddy.

Bad enough he lost his buddy, then an asshole DA has to charge him so he works the next 6 months for lawyer fees.

Dick move!

8. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Would you leave the scene of an accident where your buddy lay dying?

9. Really? The guy he left for dead was probably his buddy? :rolleyes:

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Couple of things - two bikes at a high rate of speed next to each other in the ATL is more than enough for street racing. Proving it is up to the prosecutor at this point but odds are good they have plenty of witnesses to the whole thing.

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

If they were close enough to properly read his tags, someone was watching the whole thing.

12. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I understand the outrage about street racing. If the two bikes were running side by side, bumping into each other and one of them got nudged off the road resulting in a crash I could see where vehicular homicide would be a good call. For all I know that's what happened.

But if they were two complete strangers riding at excessive speeds nowhere near each other and one of them crashes I just don't agree with vehicular homicide. Reckless endangerment, reckless driving, fleeing the scene, whatever. There are plenty of valid charges to levy.

Let's say I'm a gunslinger. I can spin my Colt 45 on my finger like Russell Crowe did in "The Quick and the Dead." A guy watches me doing it in a room full of people decides to try it with his Glock. While attempting this he accidentally shoots himself in the head. I walk out of the room without calling 911. Do I get charged with homicide?

It's the same thing. Adults doing stupid things with dangerous equipment because they see someone else doing it and end up getting hurt or killed.

Dude killed himself by doing something stupid. Blaming it on someone else who was doing something equally stupid makes no sense.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't matter if they bumped - it's along the lines of the laws about being in the course of a crime when someone dies - you get charged with murder for it. You were a part of the crime, the crime led to the death, therefore you're at fault for the death as much as anyone else involved is the thinking.

If you and the other gun twirler were robbing a store you'd be charged with murder yes.

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I don't know.

The guy is dead.

He ain't coming back.

No sense wasting 100K in taxpayer money.

15. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

I understand your point, I just agree with the people saying that if the guy crashed riding his own bike then I don't see how they can hold someone else responsible. But you're right, they do. It's an effort to discourage involvement in illegal activity. I would NEVER condone the guy leaving the scene after the crash, but I think laws like that do more to encourage bailing than they do preventing people from racing.

16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Bailing is what everyone does now, at least it looks that way watching the news. Every other day it seems another hit and run case.

17. Thors Hammer

Thors Hammer Well-Known Member

Mongo is correct, thats exactly how the law is written in Georgia, and this incident was in Georgia. The ZX6 dude is in a heap of deep poop. At least he is still alive though. :rock:

18. Dits

Why does everyone always assume that a prosecution is a waste of taxpayer money? Those judges, prosecutors and cops get paid the same salary whether it happens or not.

Not picking on you Tony, just stating a fact.

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

OVERtime.

20. Dits

Cite?