1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning again - 125 or 250

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by nlzmo400r, Oct 29, 2015.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

After a few years of trackdays and racing on a D675, I decided to return to college. Now 4 years later (graduating in spring) I'm preparing to get back into racing and trackdays. I still have the Triumph, with no plans to sell, but am interested in going to something small to really learn how to carry momentum properly.

I don't mind at all the machine being slow, I just want something very light that I fit on really master the fundamentals. Top two bikes are my list are RS125 (09 as they were sold here in the US and are cheap-ish) or an older RS250. I don't fear maintenance or engine rebuilds at all, but would much prefer not to have to do it every 2 weekends. Reason I ask between these machines is the weight isn't that different between them. Any thoughts to have ridden/raced both?

2. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

125 may be cheap to buy but very expensive to maintain.

3. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Assuming your talking about the Apes?

4. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Oh, I was assuming Honda...

5. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Grom......

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I assume he's talking Aprilias. Either will be great bikes. RS250 is much, much faster than the RS125. They're both bullet-proof when maintained.

7. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

With the price of older Honda 125's being extremely reasonable, when u can find them, the wheels in my head have been turning. What classes do they race In? I had one ten years ago, and showed up for a few races, but I don't remember.

8. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Just buy a 250 Ninja. Save yourself a shit ton of cost initially and through maintenance. Race the shit out of it and sell it when youre ready to move up.

9. nlzmo400r

Sorry, I was speaking of the Aprilias. I've ridden the current crop of the 4 stroke 250s and the chassis left lots to be desired. Before I bought a ninja 250, I would just restrict the rev limit of my 675 for similar effect. I (perhaps naively) assumed the aprilia chassis would be excellent by comparison.

Having something slower than a 110whp 600 (or 675 in my case) isn't necessarily what I'm after. Something 100lbs lighter is more important to me.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

RS250s are amazing track machines. I've tracked a lot of bikes, and I have to say the priller has been my favorite. You can't go wrong there.

11. charles

charles The Transporter

How about a properly prepared Yam RD400? Lightweight, fast, reliable. What's not to like? For WERA racing: V3, Formula 500, and Formula 2-Stroke.

12. parillaguy

parillaguy vintage+GP racer

As the owner of Honda RS125s and RS250s, I would say that there are some really good deals on RS125s. RS250 Hondas not so much. Aprilia RS250s are great as long as you get one that has been properly maintained. Don't assume! Want to go smaller and light, race prep a KTM RC390. They are light, cheap(ish) and handle better than the CBRs and Ninjas in the class. Add some rear sets, brake lines and a shock and you have a fun ride. parillaguy

13. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I think the only way I will ever own a GP chassis bike will be a well used, clapped out RS125 - but even then it will probably be the best thing I have ever ridden lol

14. nlzmo400r

The RC390 has very much caught my attention, but seemed like it would not be to the spec of something like an RS125/250 in terms of chassis performance. Bummer I don't know anyone with these machines to test ride during a track day or something to discern the differences.

15. charles

charles The Transporter

RS250 with Yam RZ350 motor; many engine mods available…a good friend of mine, Joe Pomeroy, built a real rocket (excellent handling) RS250 w/ heavily modified RZ421 motor. and yes, you can obtain all the parts to install the motor (cradle kit) and yes, it is very reliable…the OEM RS250 motor is kinda pokey, so you would appreciate the power delivery of the RZ motor.

16. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Yamarilla:)

17. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Can't believe no one has suggested just getting an SV650...

18. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Because diesels are boring compared with 2-strokers.

19. charles

charles The Transporter

:up:

20. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Oh I agree, 2 smokes are fun. SV's just seem to be the go to answer here.

Though I just realized this is in the 2 smoke forum...