1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptimers: Are there no cheap GPS options?

Discussion in 'General' started by theJrod, Jun 25, 2013.

1. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I have simple requirements:
    • Must not rely on a beacon.
    • Must display current/last lap time legibly (dash mounted).
    • Must be inexpensive.
    • Must not be a phone app.

Been using a XT Ultra Lap, but the thing is the most unreliable POS ever. About 80% of the time, it won't even turn on. Already sent it back once for repair, and it still has issues.

I don't get how there aren't cheap, GPS-based laptimers. I don't need data-logging, multiple inputs, etc. I just want my laptime displayed on my dash. I'll even try some untested no-name Chinese knock-off at this point. The actual components are dirt cheap now...

2. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I think the AIM SOLO unit is one of the lower costs ones out there ($350?). Nice unit, not a lot of bells and whistles if you stick to the base model.

3. theJrod

Seen them for $399 typically. That's not inexpensive.
    The XT is like $150. The actual parts that would go into making a standalone GPS laptimer are probably less than $20... If I had Chinese manufacturing connections, I'd be all over this.

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Totally agree- I've got a very nice Chinese GPS that was $50. supply/demand is the problem. I'd be happy to pay $200 for one, not $350+

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Just get one of the apps and a bluetooth GPS dongle that can do 10+hz. That'll be better than what you could build easily.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Come to the house. I'll give you an Arduino...the GPS shield and LCD panel and use of the cnc mill.

You do the Cad drawings, Programming and write the G-code to build it and them tell me if you think $300 is too expensive.

7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'm gonna try my Garmin bicycle computer next time I'm at the track... which should be somewhere around 2018... (that's a preemptive strike for the haters).

The bike computer has the ability to set your own route using online maps. So, if I can outline the track online, upload it to the computer, I should be able to register laps as the computer completes a circuit of my outline. No idea if its going to work though.

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

for whatever reason, many of the GPS-based bicycle speedometers I looked at only register up to 100kph/62mph.

I don't know what would prevent them from registering speeds greater than that, but that was a problem I ran into frequently when looking for one to use on my old street bike when the speedometer broke.

It's entirely possible that things have changed in the last couple years though.

9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

This one is brand spankin' new... It may have the same limitation, but I'll give it a shot... Garmin 810, cuz I can't do anything half-assed. Well, except race a motorcycle (another pre-emptive strike for the haters).

10. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Racecrono software (free) on an old phone that has bluetooth, get qstarz high speed GPS receiver e.g. bt-q818xt (10hz has some issues, 5hz works), add velcro to both. Change settings to show laptimes on the display. Done for under $100.

Ethan Wakefield likes this.
  11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That's a great plan...if you have an older Android handset sitting around. Cheap and good use of an older handset.

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Buy an old Garmin 305, 500, 705 or similar from fleabay and set the lap to auto lap by position. That'll give you your lap times and store the route.

Then post it on Strava for kicks. :D

13. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

I've been using an app on my iPhone at Grattan the last couple of days. Works GREAT (although it says I'm a little slower than I know I am ;) ). It's this one: Harry's Lap Timer. I can't believe it does so much for so little $$.

14. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I used this setup for a while. Worked well. Eventually I got tired of having to keep the phone and GPS receiver charged, and they also didn't tolerate the elements well. The Starlane Stealth I have now is waterproof, and wired to the battery so neither of those are an issue.

16. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Any screenshot of these laptimers? The ones I've seen (phone based) are really cluttered. All I want is my current time in big numbers with best lap and possibly split times in smaller numbers off to the side.

18. theJrod

Harry's Laptimer for iPhone actually works well... I just don't want to have to worry about securely mounting my phone to the dash of my bike, not to mention keeping it charged (the laptimer eats the battery pretty quickly).

The GPS-3X Lite sounds pretty cool as well, but I'm guessing when you say "less than $300", you mean $299. ;)

Can you get a GPS watch to display automatic laptimes? That's all I really need - a f**king 30 dollar watch to show me my last laptime. :Poke:

19. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

20. theJrod