1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kz 1000 vintage racer ?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by krzkevin, Nov 27, 2002.

1. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

four piston calipers are legal. i think the reason the fz was given new life was that jon won the series on his ex, if harold would have come to the gnf with another win he would have the title.
    now, if buff does ride a tz "G" this year i believe he will beat "the fz", even at road atlanta. the fz weighs 450lbs plus and is wide and isnt as much of a threat at the smaller tracks. v5 is a strange class where the newer meets the older and the older needs some newer bits. its fun to watch though.
    if graver beats harold at putnam, and buff or jon beats him at sav, talladega etc, it doesent matter if he wins at road atlanta.

2. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

FZ's definitely a different kind of beast than the KZ. Doesn't mean the kz can't be made to go fast. I was always a fan of making the fz's superstock for v5, but total domination never happened, so superbike mods are still a go.Well, at least not by the fz. Jon won every race except one last year on his ex, but thats more a factor of him riding the wheels off of it than bike superiority. Rich won on his gs a few times, I think Jamie won once or twice w/ the rz/hawk, Steve Fahey won on his fj600, Mercer won at vir on an srx600!! One things for sure, there's definitely some diversity in v5!! I think I'm gonna throw my hat back in the ring next year just for shits and giggles. Should be fun!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2002
  3. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

any chance youll be riding a water pumper???

4. RZ Racer

5. Steve Fahey

Steve Fahey I need a new avatar

Damn, I can't catch a break...first the Fz750's stay in, and now this! ;)

6. krzkevin

krzkevin Member

ok i am running the kz in v5 it looks like again. i have a 99 zx6r frt end and swingarm . everything abides by current rules except 6 piston calipers . will this really give me any advantage or may i request an exemption , considering everything else.

7. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

In all reality nobody cares what anybody runs for brakes,wheels,suspention,ect. until they start winning with it.If this is your first year and your coming out to get your feet wet don't worry to much about it.If your coming out to kick some peoples butts ya better make it to the rules.Good luck.

8. K George

K George Well-Known Member

hey morrow. come on back the worlds fast most expensive gs 550 will be waitn lol kenny

9. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

I raced Z1's for 15 years, starting in 1973. I have raced just about every configuration of Z including a single backbone monoshock framed version. Had a lot of success. The engine cases are wide. I have melted the oil sight window in the clutch cover from draging the engine in the corners. As you raise the height of the bike it starts to handle worse. There is no way you will be able to corner with FZ's, EX's or TZ's. The FZ and TZ will have speed on you, especally coming out of the corners. You may not be able to beat them but it is still alot of fun trying. Six piston brakes probably would not make much differance, but I feel you should be able to run them on a Z to help offset some of problems this bike will have. You are giving up 12 + years or so of tecnogoly. Monoshock, water cooling, multipale valves. Adding 17" race tires even with proper frame bracing and forks will still not stop this bike from being a handfull. The more power the bike makes the more traction required, then more flex in the frame. They are great fun to ride. I may race one this year

10. krzkevin

krzkevin Member

i agree with the corner speed theory / you have to make a reservation to turn this thing / gonna try an 18 front lester mag i have to see if it helps / any more tips will be greatly apprecieated

11. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Is that you Sam?

12. Fireball

Yes Bob it is. My ELR is coming along slowly. I probably won't have the money to do a killer engine for awhile. The bike will probably be up to speed before I am.

13. lizard84

I was up at Bill Bloom's friday picking up my RZ, It was a blast walking around his shop (J model heaven) checking out the racing hardware from the past & way, way past.

His motor is also not together yet. But from what I can tell, he's not screwing around, the compression must be high because the valve pockets are so deep in those pistons you could turn an ankle & fall into one...

14. lizard84

Sam, er, Fireball would most likely have an idea about lester mags (which are heavy as hell) I may be mistaken but at one time they had Lester support for the 24hrs of nelson a million or so years back;)

15. RZ Racer

I posted on your other thread.

BRING IT ON BEOTCH!!!!:D :D :D

16. K George

lolololololololol whatshoedion markzzz

17. RZ Racer

Man, I couldn't sleep last night, so I stayed up to 4:00am, catching up on all of the bbs gossip I've missed the past few days. We're really busy w/ work right now and I've had gigs on the weekend w/ the band to boot.
    Don't have my plans for next year finalized, but most likely I'll be riding the rd400 again. It should be joined by a tz350 at some of the races and an rz350 whenever the tz isn't there. (I hope) I still haven't heard from the endurance team as to our plans for next year, but I'm assuming (hoping) that we'll be doing that again as well. Whatever I end up doing, I'll be busy!!

Merry x-mas!!!

18. K George

WOrd. glad to hear from you . 2002 started off good for me . i won the opening MA v5 race and the exclubman .crashed while running third in the rain in dsup small low side no big deal.A couple more good weekends 1st 2nds then the summit point deal happend. a i was done hoping for a better year in 2003 . well hope to see you at some of the rounds 1 of my buddies building i rd for the frd stuff should be fun .. merry christmas to you and yours later kenny

19. Fireball

I don't agree with the vintage 5 rule that you can run upside down forks, but not the 6 piston brakes that came on a lot of them. A gs 500 of ex 500 would probably slow down a lot quicker with one 4 piston brake than a 1000 GS or KZ with two of the same brakes. The new 4 piston 4 pad brakes on some of the new Suzukis and Kawasakis and maybe others, are so much better and lighter than the older 6 piston style that the manufactures have reduced the rotor size. So should we use the new 4 pad brakes, that are the best in the business? Rather than start a brake police problem, I think it would be nice to allow the 6 piston brakes. They came on a lot of the front ends we are already using. I don't think we should have to go around and have to count brake pistons and pad quanity. It may be awhile before we see the new the brakes in large supply, but they will be the ones with an advantage. Maybe only allow them on the larger 4 cylinder bikes.