1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM 790. This is how you kill the MA twins cup class

Discussion in 'General' started by regularguy, Aug 13, 2018.

1. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Related/unrelated, but I'd put decent $$ down to bet not many teams made 85-90hp with the 20mm restrictor. We did in some years, but it took a ton of development, a MoTeC ECU, and three guys who would eventually go professional to do it. It also hugely changed the power delivery in a not beneficial way. <--- Georgia Tech FSAE. 2001-2006.

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

MA is not going to restrict it or limit it to sstk. They're not going to let it in.

r6boater and JJJerry like this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

translated: KTM (wisely) chose to back the money truck up to AFT's doorstep

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Can someone translate this translation for me? Who or what is the AFT? :confused:

5. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

american flat track

2blueYam likes this.
  6. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Yeah, the most we would see was 70-75HP but I had heard a few teams were seeing something in the 85Hp range. So I was thinking bike builders would get the most out of a restrictor if that was an option. I was USC ‘97-98 so my memory is 20 years old on this stuff! :confused:

7. Tristan

sorry- any of these work for you?

KTM (sabiamente) eligió respaldar el camión de dinero hasta la puerta de AFT

KTM(明智地)选择将货车推到AFT的家门口

KTM (akıllıca) para kamyonunu AFT'nin kapısına kadar geri getirmeyi seçti

KTM (judicieusement) a choisi de ramener le camion d’argent à la porte de l’AFT

Phl218 and terminus est like this.
  8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Was still going pretty good though and the bike was pretty comparable to the others. Pace and position at Barber may have been just rider experiance and track experiance.

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Is there an article out there stating they are going to use that motor in a framer bike?

10. Tristan

I recall seeing something about their intentions of racing the 790 in AFT, no other details.

11. grasshopper

12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Recorded but hidden would be a better statement...

G Dawg and rcarson15 like this.
  13. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

In the latest Cycle News Mag in an Interview with Michael Lock he said KTM will start "Stage 1" next year with a singles team and they're already in the process of building their 790 for the twins class "Stage 2". They're plans are 2020 for a full season and maybe a couple rounds next year.

The article is really good and I always like how open he is with their plans and why he is doing this or that. He goes through the other OEM's as well but it looks like only KTM is fully in and he's hoping Yamaha (would need a huge title sponsor) and Ducati joins the party eventually. There seems to be a lot of good things going on over at AFT

14. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Arena type racing is their strategy.
    It is working.

15. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

So when is MotoAmerica going to make a final decision on the 790?

16. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

"TBA 10/1/18"
    I guess they are doing their due diligence.

17. grasshopper

I see Cop blowing a head gasket if they allow it in. LOL

rcarson15, WANABE RACER and t11ravis like this.
  18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

19. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Steeltoe likes this.
  20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Pics damn you!