1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knife Sharpening

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, May 5, 2016.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What do you use? "The bones of my enemies", is not an answer.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Why sharpen them?

After they've been used once, you toss 'em in the river and get a fresh one for the next victim

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I used to use a standard wusthof steel and a stone to finish it off but I picked up one of those wustof 2 stage V sharpeners. A bit on the lazy side but it works awesome.

That's for the chef knives.

My spyderco has never needed to be touched in the 25 or so years I've had it and it's been used and abused.

4. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

Stone! Knife sharpener accessories seem to be kryptonite to some folks I've worked with. Seriously, I watched one dude slice his hand from in between his middle/ring finger almost to his wrist..thankfully this was just in training.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I have a similar 2 stage sharpener from Smith's with one side carbide and the other ceramic. It works ok, just seeing what else is out there. And I'm lazy.

6. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I use the Lansky knife sharpening kit.

zrx12man likes this.
  7. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

+1 Got mine on Amazon. Works great!

8. I bought a couple of whetstones in Japan. Best stones I've ever used.

9. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Depends on what I am working on. I have a Lansky that is used mostly on folding knives and small sheath knives. I will also use it to reset something that has bee really abused. For bigger stuff (mostly the kitchen knives) I have assorted wetstones from about 150 grit to around 3000.

I also keep a steel right next to my kitchen knives for daily tuneups.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

:stupid:

11. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Before spyderco made knives they made the sharpmaker and still do. Cheap and gets knives quickly, easily and repeatably sharp. After that something like wicked edge pro if u have money, paper wheels if u have a grinder are faster again but be careful, Japanese wetstones if u have the skills and inclination and stropping for a razor edge if hair popping sharp isn't enough and you have nothing better to do. On the knife forums this qn might be equivalent to which oil should I use.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I confess to lurking bladeforums but I didn't want HPPT to know.

13. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Spiderco tri-angle sharpmaker.

14. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Big two sided diamond stone to get the edge to the angle I like. Then 1k and 6k Japanese stones to sharpen and hone. No guides. Just sit and grin like Pyle from FMJ.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I was gonna say something about multi-angles but I don't have nice enough blades to merit that amount of attention. I just run an AccuSharp down my blades but they're nothing to write home about...and you don't want to use one on a
    good blade, the carbide bits shave metal off.
    Machetes? All day long. My little Buck 110? Yup, that gets it, too.

16. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Lanksy system for all blades, the kitchen chef knives go once a year for a professional sharpening.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Razor's Edge... the founder was on the old Bandit mailing list back in the late 90s. Guy was Orvis' age and was building a turbo Bandit 12.

18. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Work Sharp knife and tool sharpener. It seemed reasonable enough on price and it's absolutely retard proof. I even changed the belt and got my lawnmower blades back in shape.

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

20. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I just looked up the Lansky system and don't understand how it maintains the correct angle. Seems to me that different sized blades sharpened with the same setting will get sharpened at different angles.

I'm looking to buy the Ken Onion Work Sharp sharpener since it's most similar to what the professional sharpeners I've been to use.

You people that sharpen with a stone must really have nothing better to do with your time.