1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids in laps on planes

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 2blueYam, Apr 28, 2014.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

2. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Well she might have had an argument if the infant in her example was the only fatality in that plane crash. When 60% of the passengers died, her argument is null. As a parent, I figured that if the plane goes down we're pretty much fcked anyways so I'd like to have my son/daughter in my arms (false sense of control).

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Because having their own seat would save their life when a plane augers itself in to the ground at speed?
    She goes back 25 years to an example where over 1/2 the people that were properly strapped in died in the crash. I hope she didn't throw her back out reaching for that one...

4. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

No small children on planes. Problem solved.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

They could still get killted on the ground. No planes. Or Frisbees. And fuck-all, can't have tornadoes or hurricanes neither.

Think of the children, you assholes!

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Padded rooms and bubble wrap suits for EVERYONE!!!

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

When I dated a Flight Attendant She called them Missles.....

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Her argument is also nullified due to the fact that there was an infant who was with her mother. The mother was appropriately strapped in. She died. The child ended up in an overhead bin and was rescued by one of the other survivors. Had she been strapped in like mom, she'd most likely be dead too.
    Here's the transcript of the presentation by UAL232's captain. http://www.clear-prop.org/aviation/haynes.html
    Pretty crazy that he still has a bit of sense of humor knowing his demise may only be minutes away

Sioux City: United 232 heavy, roger, and advise me when you get the airport in site.
    UAL 232: We have the runway in sight, and will be with you shortly. Thanks a lot for your help.
    Sioux City: United 232 heavy, winds currently 360 at 11, three sixty at eleven, you're cleared to land on any runway.
    UAL 232: You want to be particular and make it a runway, huh?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  9. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

As was stated, nothing is helping in a full on crash, but turbulence and rough landings might prove safer if the baby was in a car seat attached to it's on seat.

I can't imagine anyone thinking it's safer to hold a baby in their lap in a car. Why an airplane.

I have to admit, the thought of charging for babies keeping them off planes more is a happy thought

10. Crybaby™

Now that's some funny shit right there. I want that guy as my pilot every time

11. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Uhh... because it's tough to hold your baby and drive :D

Seriously though, I've experienced turbulence bad enough to send my drink into the overhead compartments. Can't imagine holding a baby during that craziness.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

whelp spent the last 2 hour watching airplane crash videos

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I had two friends, Todd and Pam Gifford who were killed by a plane crashing into their house in the middle of the night. A government-owned plane. They were just little kids.
    Shit happens.

Just to add

http://www.eagletribune.com/haverhi...4-jet-crash-into-Riverside-neighborhood/print

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  14. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

After spending 22 years flying, with over 6,000 flight hours I wouldn't let my kids get on a plane without a car seat. It definitely should be a regulation. My concern isn't a lawn dart, it's the CAT and bouncing around in turbulent air.

So here you are all all fat, dumb, and happy sitting with the cattle minding your own business. Without warning, you hit CAT and you start to wonder, "Is this it, are we going to crash?" Then out of the corner of your eye you see the 30lb headbutt coming for you at the speed of light. Or on the approach while penetrating a line a thunderstorms, etc, etc. One broken nose and a couple of broken/missing teeth later and you're and advocate for children flying in car seats.

15. Crybaby™

You stalking me in the dungeon now. :)

I was referring to holding your baby in your lap as a passenger in a car which is also illegal

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Given that concern, there should be no personal effects in the cabin, flight attendants may only move while wearing PPE and carabeenered to supports, and all human "cargo" must be strapped down with minimum 500lb tensile nylon webbing.

17. Crybaby™

Come on. Really?
    There is a big difference between and iPhone and a baby.

The do actually make you put away large objects and fasten your seat belts during landing. Why do babies get a pass on that?

And if your personal effects go bouncing around the cabin and smash to pieces you can get another. If a baby does that, it's more of a problem.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Please place your baby in the overhead bin.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Gawdamn right I'm serial. :FL:

Look, you've now got Mr. Government saying you have to strap your kid in or else the Air Marshall will give you a beat down and send you to Gitmo, so what do you do when Johnny Inconsolable is howling at 11 and making other passengers wish the Air Marshall would give the milk-fed brat a couple good licks for good measure?

Why, you pull out that 8 lb laptop with the 47" screen and play Baby Einstein over and over and over again. Then, miraculously, you hit that magical pocket of turbulence that would have sent your precious fuckling through the cockpit doors, but instead of a fleshy flexible blob you now how a hard, sharp-cornered projectile of glass, plastic and metal hurtling towards innocent travelers just trying to get from Cleveland to Palm Spring with the only injury being to their dignity as some $9/hr thief with blue gloves cops a feel on their way through Security Theater.

Or do adults not matter to you? :Poke:

20. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does anybody think this when they see the thread title?

"I am tired of these motherf*****g kids on this motherf*****g plane.