1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Justify this....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by edub, Mar 24, 2003.

1. edub

edub Well-Known Member

2. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Collateral damage....unfortunate but a consequence of war, anywhere in the world!:(

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

C'mon, you're as goofy as the fools who have been blasting you if you really believe this will make a difference in peoples opinions.

Yes, innocents will die. However it will still be less than Hussein and his regime killed last year. Does that make killing them a good thing? No, however there are times when the ends justify the means and this is one of them.

I don't care what Gdub's reasons are, the fact is Iraq and the Iraqi's need help to get out from under Saddam and this war will accomplish that.

4. edub

edub Well-Known Member

This country spends $75 billion to fight a war to "liberate" a country 10,000 miles away? Yeah sure thats why we're there. Let those people save themselves.....Hope our kids have deep pockets.....

5. edub

edub Well-Known Member

6. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Why don't you post a picture of a German child from 1942 in a similar condition? Would you expect me to change my mind about the ultimate validity of WWII as a result? If this is different then please explain - are the children in both cases not equally innocent?

You are using pure emotion to make decisions - surely you can see that this is wrong?

7. edub

edub Well-Known Member

No, at least then there was actual hostile action being taken by a ruthless dictator....Although it has been said Sadam is a threat any credible evidence has yet to be shown. All this premptive strike business is nonsense. At most he is a threat to surrounding countries and of course OIL.

8. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Edub,

The stupidity of this war is not in the way it is being fought or even the fact it is being fought at all.* Rather, the great stupidity is in the failure of Bush to put together a REAL coalition and his failure to realistically consider our relations with the rest of the world following the war.

Innocent civilians as collateral damage is not acceptable, but at least we make very expensive and concerted efforts to avoid such casualties.

Rodger

*Assuming that the risk of thousands of US casualties is an acceptable risk. In general political terms, I don't think it was necessary to take that risk at this time, but looking at the war discretely, the cost of American lives is minor as compared to the dmage Saddam has caused in the past.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh? Hussein doesn't fit this description? What rock are you living under?

10. edub

edub Well-Known Member

Name the hostile action.....

11. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Holy crap I'm in this forum.

How about Kurds covered with a Russian product nick-named Yellow Rain?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Justify this -

http://www.kdp.pp.se/chemical.html

http://www.humanrightswatch.org/reports/1992/iraqkor/KOREME4.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4503064,00.html

http://home.cogeco.ca/~konews/29-11-02-irq-admmit-using-ch-wapons.html

http://staging.hrw.org/reports/1993/iraqanfal/ANFAL3.htm

And he's not a dictator? I submit that he's no different than Hitler in the 30's. Just trying to amass his power at home but always with an eye on getting more territory and spreading his brand of insanity even further...

What's happening now is what should have happened to Hilter long before he started to invade the rest Europe.

No one can deny that Saddam Hussein is abd guy and should be taken out.

As for oil - what the heck would Bush care about Iraqi oil since he's so in bed with the US oil companies? Wouldn't the lefty logic dictate that he and his buds that control him be better off without Iraq's oil on the market? All having access to that oil will do is drive down prices and lose them money.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See my post above. I won't bother with listing links to anything on his invasion of Kuwait. I also won't bother listing the descriptions of his regimes systematic use of rape as a control of the people or any of the other things they do to the Iraqi people - since they aren't even needed to justify this action.

My take is simple - better late thna never.

So c'mon, you're ignoring your own taunt - justify his attack on the Kurds. I answered you, can you answer me?

14. edub

edub Well-Known Member

Do you know how many pictures, links and what not I can dig up concerning ruthless dictators around the world. I never said Sadam wasnt a bad man...just that he's not the only one and why is it necessary to take $$ from our kids social security fund to prove it. Fact is there are horrible acts being commited throughout the world and since when is it our obligation to confront all of them? Who's next? What country is next on the agenda? WE ARE NOT THE WORLDS POLICE.

15. pseudocode

pseudocode Well-Known Member

Who is?

16. edub

edub Well-Known Member

Polland?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ahhh, but see that's where you're wrong. We are the most powerful nation to exist in history. And so long as we are expected by the rest of the world to provide aide to people in need (which they do, how many billions of dollars go out of the US every year?), we are obligated to enforce the rules as well. What is happening in Iraq is just humanitarian aide in a different form.

When you are the biggest and baddest and richest you have an obligation to help those being bullied.

We are the police of the world like it or not. And to be honest I think the US government actually wimps out more often than not on this one. What's wrong with helping the downtrodden? What's wrong with bringing madmen to justice? Why is doing good such a bad thing to you?

And yes - I do think we should go after every madman in every little dictatorship out there until they all cease to exist and the people of the countries can choose their own leaders for better or worse.

18. edub

edub Well-Known Member

All fine and dandy.....but unfortunatly the Utopia you speak of doesnt exist...where does the endless supply of funding you speak of come from? Wish I had the money tree in my backyard.

19. 418

418 Expert #59

Posted by edub:

Polland?

Before you start making smart ass comments you might want to learn how to spell POLAND....:rolleyes:...half-wit...

20. edub

edub Well-Known Member

Soory, I 1\4 polish.