1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Learned A tough Lesson About New Rental Cars

Discussion in 'General' started by 0hi0, Dec 2, 2005.

1. mango

mango Ewah Felicitys underpants

My Freightliner Sprinter locks as soon as you start it.

AND if the engine is running the remote locks do not work.

But, you CANT lock the keys in it. The remote lock and the key

are one and the same, and it will only lock with the key or remote.

You can't lock the door then close it.

2. Ahhh Acura TL...I love that car. I'd like to get one to make it my work car. How is it as far as comfort on 3-4 hour trips? How is the gas mileage? Is it fun to drive.

3. lilbuj

lilbuj Well-Known Member

Sucks don't it

4. 0hi0

0hi0 Husband Killing Tool

I think my mistake was that I reached in and started it with the door open. Grabbed the ice scrapper and then closed the door. I've been traveling for years and never had this problem. And I'm still freaking waiting!

5. 0hi0

Re: Karma

Whats that suppose to mean?:D

6. woodyracing

woodyracing Well-Known Member

what company did you rent the car from?

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Nothing like a vehicle that thinks it is smarter than the operator...I HATE crap like that on a car. Theft deterrent. Piffle. How about: If the owner doesn't want their car stolen, they can get out and lock the door. If they don't lock the doors and their car gets boosted, they are too stupid to own a car. Next! If the operator is stupid enough to open the door and leap out at road speed, then the Darwin award is in the mail to a most deserving candidate. Next! If you end up in the water or trapped in a burning vehicle? That is what you get for driving a cage. Ride a bike and you won't worry about being trapped in a vehicle.

8. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

alright george carlin jr. care to comment on euphamisms?

9. TJ

TJ Livin in a bubble

Use the antenna to stick through the top of the door frame and hit the unlock button.

10. TJ

TJ Livin in a bubble

The TL is an awesome car, I believe gas mileage is good as long as Mrs. Bacon doesn't keep her foot to the floor. Very comfortable car. Of course this is just my opinion from riding along with Bacon.

11. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

or a coat hanger.

12. The car is great, I just did an 8+ hour trip in it. It gets about 24 city and 32 on the hwy (doing about 80-85mph).

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Sure! 'course, my slinky is kinked, so I might be a tad off plumb. Euphemisms are sometimes referred to as a lubricant of polite society.

Euphemism' is from the Greek 'euphemia,' meaning 'use of good words.'

From Merriam-Webster: the substitution of an agreeable or inoffensive expression for one that may offend or suggest something unpleasant; also : the expression so substituted

Examples: "Spanking the monkey", "gentleman of fortune" (points for this one if known without a search), and of course "cut the cheese".

Just for giggles, try the generator.

http://walkingdead.net/perl/euphemism

14. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I bought a 2005 Kia Sedona (Minivan) for my wife last year, and it's bean a grat car...but speaking of the above and door locks: it's got keyless entry, but when you use it to unlock the doors, they re-lock after some anount of time (I think it's around 30 seconds). I can't begin to tell you how annoying this is.

Once, I remoted the locks, opened the door, and realized I left my sunglasses on my workbench. Without thinking, I tossed teh keys on the driver's seat, closed the door, waled into the garage, and returned...I was 3 steps away when I heard the 'thunk'. Another time my wife was wrestling some stuff from Home Depot into the back, and set the keys on the floor...same result.

WTF is this all about? If I wanted the doors locked, I wouldn't have unlocked them 30 F@CKING SECONDS AGO!!!

(ok, I feel better :) )

15. 0hi0

National
    They are my prefered rental car company. Emerald Executive Elite:up:

Besides being two hours late to my customer, it was rather painless. I'm just glad it was at the hotel.

16. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

We get a lot of cars thru our shop and all will unlock manually . Could you imagine the lawsuits if they didn't ? New cars are even required to have a manual release on the inside of the trunk .

Many systems will lock as soon as the key is turned also , doesn't need to be in park or certain gear . GM does have some of the most stupid systems out there though . I hate the ones that lock automatically but don't unlock for you . Almost all can be reprogrammed though , just need to read the owners manual .
    I hate the ones that lock after a set MPH like the Sportracs and VW Beetles too . Makes me think the car is possessed when I am a block down the road !

Another stupid feature is to have the headlights turn on as soon as the key is turned . Nothing but a battery drain . Design those like Yamaha and only turn them on when the engine is running ......

What happened here is he started the car with the door open and let it lock then closed the door . You have to remember to manually unlock before closing the door when it is set like that .
    The auto relocking of some systems if the key is not put in and turned on within a predetermined amt of time is a good feature . This prevents the auto from remaining unlocked if a kid or someone else accidently presses the button after you are out of the car . Women were famous for shoving the remotes in a purse and unlocking the doors while walking away on some of the earlier systems .

It's not that the cars are too smart , it's that a 4 button remote is too complicated for some people :):Poke:

OH yeah , Remote Starts are great if you need to crank and not be physically in the Auto !!!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  17. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

My Ram has a remote start and that sumbitch has locked me out about 3 times. if you don't put the key in it within 15 minutes it will shut off. And if you don't do something after you put the key in, after some dumbass amount of time it just locks itself. And 15 minutes won't warm up ANY diesel. Now I crack the window far enough I can put my hand in there and hit the button. Dumbass car makers........... they need to file chap 11 until they get over their dumbass attacks.
    (oh, and I got 16 f'in inces of snow today) Did I say winter sucks?