1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just got layed off

Discussion in 'General' started by tweety, Jan 15, 2003.

1. tweety

tweety Well-Known Member

Anyone know of companies that are hiring engineering people?
    Need work ASAP.
    Please submit names and numbers if you have them.

2. dave333

dave333 traveler

bummer dude!

but join the crowd, i've been out since july of last year. what part of the country ya from?

3. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

yeah I'm getting restless too...

Did ya see all those races in the NC?? its going to be expensive.

...wish ole W would start thinking about the economy instead of making War all over the world....diplomacy...use it...

...i'm getting sick and tired of Saddam stall tactics...W...

4. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Dude, sorry to hear about the job loss. If you are in the IT industry shoot me an email and I'll pass it along to a few folks. Best of luck and hope you find something soon.

// 'Now for my regulary scheduled thread hijacking.

Don't cha know? War = industrial ramp up to supply equipment. More jobs needed to supply the demand. King Bush the 1st didn't make the last crusade last long enough, economy took a nose dive... Bush numero 2 will start two wars at once to make sure he dosen't see the same fate as B1 in the next elections. If the war lasts long enough the goverment may even employ you and give you a free trip to the Middle East. :eek:

5. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Sheees, did you count how many we have in the southeast? 14 with one being tenative plus the GNF.

6. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

7. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Hey now, I haven't moved yet. :)

Warmer weather here I come!

8. 418

418 Expert #59

Defenitally feel for ya.

Was unemployed for over 3 months late last year. Just about drove me crazy. ...not to mention the toll it took on my finances and my family.

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

No no no Laurie ... we want to have the Yankees already here move BACK to where they came from, not have more dillute our great Southern way of life! :)

10. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

ya mean ya want ya sisters all to yourselves? :D

11. CharlieM#90

CharlieM#90 Well-Known Member

What kind of engineering...??
    EE? Hope not.
    Don't want to scare but EE ain't a real promising discipline right now if your specialty is in Telecom/computer hardware. I've been out for over a year - and that's not as long as a number of other EE's I know. Electronics hardware industry isn't in a recession - it's a smoking crater. Good luck.

Charlie Mc
    tz250 #90 Ex

12. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

ROTFLMAO :D

13. Eck

Eck Older, wiser, but still addicted to roadracing

Computer Engineer here...been out since July. If only I had a $1 for every resume i sent out....

Broke & getting broker....Good thing I broke ground on a new house 2 weeks before I was laid off. I celebrated by buying a new truck and a racebike.

I'm sure you'll find something. It sucks having a nice degree and doing shit jobs, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

14. tweety

tweety Well-Known Member

will work to race!

I am in the subsea mechanical side of engineering. Anything that has to do with Autocad or Pro-e I can do.
    What really bites is that last year it was my wife and Enron. This year it's me! WTF???
    We went from rags to riches to rags in less than 3 years. Does anyone want to buy our house before Wells Fargo takes it back?
    We are in Houston but are willing to move to any non-landlocked state. (hint....anything along the Gulf or East coast!)
    My brief resume from past to present:
    Westinghouse-Orlando....turbine combustion engines
    Halliburton-Dallas....downhole tools, packers
    Cooper Cameron-Houston....manifolds, ROV layouts, schematics
    ABB Offshore Systems-Houston....connector tools, jumper systems
    Couch duty-Houston.....Oprah, Discovery channel, MASH

Got to get something before my attitude goes south.

15. GaTarheel

GaTarheel Well-Known Member

My company is looking for a couple of ME's. Background in CNC machining and/or automated assembly processes, BOF part sourcing, etc.

Located in Charleston, SC.

Email off line at [email protected]

Chad

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Tweety, I'll check around with some friends with goverment contractors up here in NoVa.

Oh, and I'm in the same unemployed boat as you (as of 4:30 yesterday afternoon). :(

17. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

Anyone you know in sunny, warm Pittsburgh looking for an IT Director, Project Manager, Programmer, snow shoveler, winter-hater, etc.?
    :cool:

18. amaner

amaner will do math for food

No, but my girlfriend's company needs an IT director BIG TIME. It's a large-ish real estate settlement company w/ about 25 offices. Person would have a few little minions and would need to be very good at prioritization. Job is in Metro DC area, and they're willing to go over 6 figures. If you're interested in a relo, send me your resume.

[email protected]

PS: Saw the write-up on you in CW this month.

19. amaner

amaner will do math for food

Dave, sorry to hear about that. What's your skill set? Any current accesses? We (Boeing) have several openings for computer geeks in the metro DC area. Drop me an email.

[email protected]

20. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

Andrew,

Thanks for the offer of forwarding the resume. I appreciate it.
    Unfortunately, too much going on here in sunny, warm Pittsburgh (read: sarcasm, as I just moved back here from Florida a few years ago). No plans to relocate anytime soon.
    Our software consulting firm closed recently. I've got almost 15+ years in software development and management in Medical and Financial environments, but there doesn't seem to be much activity recently for full-time employees.
    :rolleyes:
    Maybe I should have asked the writers of CW if I could include my resume in their story! ;)
    Thanks again. I do appreciate it.

Keith Reed
    www.empty-pockets-racing.com
    #69 / Expert