1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a medical bill from a hospital stay over two years ago.

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Sep 16, 2020.

1. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

F@ck.... you guys get rapped with out KY ~!~!~!~!:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused:

cha0s#242 likes this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

they dont care... hospital policy trumps patient wishes. You can have a patient advocate bedside... or sign yourself out.
    Biggest gamble is going into an ER. Id take my chances on Web MD first...lol.

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The statute of limitations varies from state to state. Some states go as far out as 6 years on unresolved bills and claims. As well, if they turn it over to a debt collector or a debt collection firm buys it at pennies on the dollar, you'll be on the hook.

My first suggestion is to contact the insurance company and ensure that the bill is actually yours to pay. 99% of the bills I see are actually a coding issue at the providers office. You'll have to do some digging, but they can advise as to what the correct billing code should be. Then you'll have to chase it from there.

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

You'll be happy to know that the tradition of wealthy La Jolla socialites slumming at Open Bar is still alive and well.

5. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

When I got my knee replaced I noted two $600 charges for room visits from a doctor who never showed up. I called hospital billing and after a run around they finally admitted he did not show and removed the charge. The lady said how glad she was we got it resolved and that is when I explained that since there glaring errors we were going to have to review the bill line by line. Six hours of review later my insurance was billed 11K less. It was crazy they charged for drugs I never received, a take home kit I never got and a few other things. I never felt more hated by any organization, to me it felt like fraud being charged for a visit that never happened so I cut them no slack. They could not understand why I cared as insurance was paying 100% of the bill.

6. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Hospital billing sucks. No doubt about it.
    But it is more complicated than that...
    Insurance companies pay what they want. Literally...
    So for a office visit, some of the public aid options will pay the doc less than $20. I cant get any plumber, electrician, cable guy to come and do anything for $20. Fuck. I can't get my kids to do anything for that...

So anyway, there's this law that says you must bill everyone the same. No matter what insurance or no insurance they have...

Some insurances pay more than others. Some pay 10x more. However you have the bill everyone the same.

Thats why the bills are ridiculously high. As stated above call them and thry will usually take a massively reduced rate that they are getting screwed on by the insurance companies.

Many small safety net hospitals are closing their doors because they simply can't make enough to care for patients. These are not for profit hospitals in the most at need neighborhoods.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

this.

never pay anything the first time around.
    between EOB's and bills and false charges and all the back and forth... just don't pay until they come knocking at your door.

then offer them 30% of what you "owe"

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Since we are bitchin, if you don't need to, dont take that shiny ambulance to the ER.
    Hire a limo. It'll be cheaper.
    Insurance dont cover.
    They send you to collections...

9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Brother shattered his left elbow and wrist while snowboarding at Mammoth Mountain.
    I took him to Scripps hospital and initial quote was $90k if we paid cash.
    He bought a $1300 ticket back to Ireland and stayed there for 9 months. Surgery and physio cost him nuttin'.

My buddy Joe's first bill for 5 weeks and bone marrow transplant was $980,000+/-. He was personally billed for $6,000. He called up the insurance company (blue) and agent said "disregard that invoice"
    Total so far for Joe's care/multiple ER visits since Jan 9th is over $5,000,000.00

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

yup. blinky bus ride for the kid cost a grand, after wife already had him in the car seat and was ready to go. neighbor called them.

the scam they are running here, no matter how good your insurance is, none of the non-hospital EMS are " in network" , so its all out of pocket.

and of course they send the one closest to you, which is the whole purpose of the blinky bus, and not the one from the hospital which would take 10 min longer.
    admittedly, kid passed out several times and it was all good to have professionals looking out for him but the systemic problem is just too obvious.

JCW likes this.