1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just found out I screwed up worse than I thought

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Mar 23, 2021.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I had a friend in Raleigh whose father was offered the franchise for Honda (autos) in 1970 before the oil embargo of 1973/74. He said no one would ever want a car that small.

BigBird and Sweatypants like this.
  2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Damn and I thought I lost out selling my 2 coins a few years ago for a couple thousand in profit. A couple hundred is a whole different ballgame.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I got a couple of Hot Wheels that maybe worth upwards of 40 bucks the last time I checked. :beer:

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

About 6-7 years ago when the powerball was only $1 I won $10,000. You won that by having 4 numbers and the powerball.

The total powerball prize that draw was about 230 million. No one won it. I was 1 number away.

I can also say at the time the taxes they took were 25% fed and 6% GA because I went down and got a check for 6,900.

BigBird likes this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

These things happen Rob. Don't beat yourself up about it. My first 911 purchase was in 1994. My purchase choice was down to 2 cars and I had a $30K budget... a '84 911 Cabriolet and a '69 911S.

I went with the Cab.

I also sold my Ralt Formula Atlantic, the very last RT4 ever made in the history of the world for peanuts back in 2000. I think I sold it for around $50K. I don't even want to think what its worth now.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

So, what price tag would you put on that story?

7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

My father laments that if he had just kept 2 of the multitude of cars he owned as a young man, he'd be well ahead of the game.
    He special ordered a 409, dual quad, posi, 4 speed Biscayne from his local Chevy dealer in 1961. That car made some money on the street. He also owned a pretty maxed out '64 GTO for about a month & a half. A 1969 396SS El Camino was his for a while in the early 70's. Oh, the list goes on.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That’s exactly what I told Tyler a few days ago. I just learned last week a friend that put $10k in some biotech company 5-8 or so years ago. Evidently it just passed some drug approval and is going crazy. He doesn’t know yet how it will shake out, because it isn’t public yet, but his 1% is supposedly already worth over 100 million. I will get more details when it happens.

I took a flyer and put 20k into a friends company about 10 years ago, unfortunately he went bankrupt during Covid.

He was all bummed I lost the money, and I just said dude I knew it was a big risk, I’m more bummed you had to give up on your dream because of this stupid shutdown.

wsmc 589 and BigBird like this.
  9. Boman Forklift

Haha, it was fun but not a high price tag.

10. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

hahaha damn man. of recent, one of my buddies worked at Facebook when it was still in infancy fresh out of college and retired at like 30 when it went public. he's not rich-rich, but he's got a house and 2 porsches and never has to work again. another worked at Tesla a few years ago at a service center and got a bunch of stock options as bonus, but was like 11 months from full vesting. had been working towards an IT degree forever and finally finished and wanted to actually get into that field so he left. woulda shaken out to about $1m if he would have stayed and cashed out during the COVID upswing.

11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

A baller like you and only a condo on koh samui? You need a treehouse man.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  12. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I have some materialistic regrets I bought ALL these cars for under 3k starting around 1985.
    The hurtful one 1st, for me is the best muscle car ever made,best looking.. bar none...My black on black 68 Dodge charger RT 100% stock 440 Magnum with every factory option sold it for $3300 in 1993... That was the going rate then for a unrestored muscle car.
    The rest of my regrets...lol below all bought and sold for under 4K

1970 Dodge Challenger 383

1970 1/2 Z -28 LT1

1979 Cuda w 440

65 Mustang "GT" coupe.

My black on Black 88 Mustang LX 5.0 w a 5 lb Paxton blower would would easily get me 10-15k today, I bought it for three grand with so many off road parts from a kid who worked at the speed shop sold it for 4 k.

Then of course my motorcycles the rg500 rz500 there's actually not a single bike I've ever owned it would not have tripled quadrupled or quintuple in value now I'm stuck with a 86 VFR 750 & a SRAD which I don't think everare going to go up much more than they are right now?

My Banshee has doubled in value in 3 years ... I bought for about $2300.00 had to put 2k into a motor. But ... now equivilant Banshees are selling for 7-8k all day long.

So I've recouped the cost of my 4 mil stroker engine...lol things are looking up...lol

My family was strictly working class top to bottom father was a postman....bris were union Theatre projectionists...
    We have multiple 68-70 chargers, A Mercedes 450SL, a Jaguar XKE V-12, a couple cool Thunderbirds, an Oldsmobile Toronado C-10 Chevy pickups, 1971 Bronco, 71 Mustang Mach 1 351 Cleavland, 1969 Ford Torino super Cobra jet, 1970 Chevelle SS 454 there's at least four or five others I'm just forgetting all bots by working class people and I'm sure all these cars were purchased for less than 5 or 6 k...... Every single one of them do the math on my family's cars in mine fuck I'm sitting on a beach in Mexico giving my finger to corporate bullshit America where I'm working close to 70 hours for 40 hours pay.....

On the bright side I had these cars and motorcycles when they were relevant, gas was cheap, I rode or drove all of them and drove them like they should have been driven I don't think people realize how good we had it back then everything was great if you wanted something you could buy it "within reason" of course...

I guess one has to weigh regrets versus The experience I couldn't have kept all of them not even possible so I should not get hung up on the what ifs...right?

stk0308 and Boman Forklift like this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

I have too many of these stories...some recent ones

Sold a OEM downpipe for $150 to a kid that was saying he wanted to go back to stock because his car was too loud....and I'm all about trying to help the young kids out and interested in modifying, etc.

Met him, car was pretty quiet, and well catalytic converters currently get 450-600 for the one I had. So yeah he made a nice little profit
    ---
    Had a 2018 S4 that I never really jived with, wanted another MQB car after like 2 weeks with the car, and this was during peak pandemic time. Dealers were offering $hit money on the car for trade-in.

There's only about 100 Golf Rs left in the country, so find one, dealer can sell it yet but taking deposits ,etc. I was like when everything opens back up, you'll need used cars,etc. The best offer I got was 4k upside down...I was like whatever, of course used car prices skyrocket a month or so later.

So buy high, sell low is the best way.

~sent from mobile

14. Boman Forklift

Another 930 story:

It’s long but interesting.

Back in 1990, I go out to party at the Red Onion, Santa Ana with Ray, the one guy I knew in S. Cal. We worked at the same company as sales reps.

I’m out dancing with a girl I met and Ray strikes up a conversation with a guy at the bar, Al. Somehow these dorks (both friends of mine for over 30 years now) start talking about their secret weapon out in the parking lot......like that is going to help them get laid....Yeah right :crackup:

Al has a 79 Porsche 911 SC which I buy from him 2 years later and I have the 930. No chicks were reeled in by the magic of the cars, but we did have one come over thinking we could hook her up with some blow..... we weren’t druggies, so she left disappointed.

Al knows of a breakfast place open till 4am so we drive to Newport Beach for food and his friend Perry meets us there, he drives a pickup. We eat and leave Newport Beach around 3 to 3:30 am.

We head out on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) to the 55 highway North and we open the cars up a bit.....I’m guessing 90-100, slow down to merge onto the 405 freeway south towards San Clemente. Unbeknownst to us, some cops see us and start following.

There is almost no one at this hour on this approx 10 lane highway and we decide to open them up. We are side by side and get up to around 135 indicated and I wave bye-bye to Al and floor it up to around 160 and back out.

We are now back down to 55 and BS’ing about how fast and fun the cars are, and laughing at how far back Perry is in the pickup, whose lights we could see way back there.

Well, those lights finally catch up to us, and to our surprise, it is not Perry in the pickup. We are lit up and we pull over.

Cops separate the drivers and start questioning us. I tell them 90% the truth. We just met that night at the Red Onion, went out to eat afterwards, and we were heading back to San Clemente. I was staying at Ray’s place, I was a traveling sales rep just out here for work. I have a Texas DL and Texas license plates on the car.

Al lies and tells them we never met before.

They do a field sobriety test and determine I’m borderline drunk, and they are hauling me in to Santa Ana. They write Al up a ticket for 105+.

So the officers decide my passenger Ray is too drunk to drive my car. They put me in the back of the police car. I tell them I don’t want to leave my car sitting on the side of the 405, it is too valuable to me, what can we do?

One of the officers drives my car to the Culver exit in Irvine with Ray inside the car. Ray is telling him to go ahead and floor it, feel the speed, Rob won’t mind. Lolol

So the Porsche is in a parking lot and they call Ray a cab to get him home, but he has no money left. They allow Ray to come get my ATM card and walk over to the bank and pull out some cash.

Now they haul me to Santa Ana and while driving over ask me a couple times how fast I was going? I tell them I was just watching the road and not the Speedo, so I don’t know? I’m figuring this is a way to get me to admit guilt, and give me a ticket, but I’m not sure?

We talk about all kinds of stuff on the drive over and I remember seeing on the water tower Santa Ana “all American city” so I’m asking about that and if it is a nice area....they inform me it is not. I’m taking many deep breathes during the drive, hoping this gets more oxygen in my blood.

We get to the police station and they said, you are borderline drunk so we are skipping the usual routine and rush me to the breathalyzer. I remember trying to blow faintly into the machine. It clicks and the officer says you have to blow harder to get a reading.

I blow harder and I think I see big numbers and say oh crap. He then says, you passed. I can’t remember the number but I think it was .06-.08 and back then legally drunk was 1.0.

So I ask what happens now? I have no idea if this is normal or not, but they put me back in the police car without cuffs, and drive me back to my car.

On the way back, we are talking and they ask a couple more times if I know how fast I was going? The officers said we left them like they were standing still, and they got up to 105 while chasing us. I tell them I don’t know, figuring they were going to use that for my speeding ticket when we get back to my car?

We finally get back to the car and the two officers get me out of the car, and hand me the keys. They tell me to enjoy my stay in California, please slow down, and drive safe.

No written ticket, just a verbal warning. How lucky!!!!

Al was pissed at me for awhile, as he had a ticket that cost him over $1000 between fees and a lawyer.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    wsmc 589, HPPT and BigBird like this.
  15. Boman Forklift

what is a MQB car?

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

current VW platform for the Golf, Atlas, A3/S3, Sportwagen, Passat

So like my Golf R, GTIs , etc.

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

Modularer Quer Baukasten :

Modular Crosswise Kit - the way they have modularized front, middle and rear sections of the cars to piece them together as needed throughout the platforms

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  18. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

Grandfather had a mercedes 300SL, yep THAT 300sl.. anyway, he raced it at boneville and at some old SCCA stuff in the early 60's. Grandfather decided to sell it as they weren't racing it anymore and it was a lot of maintenance to keep running. Bought it for $7500 and sold it 6yrs later for $5400... pic of the actual car as it sits now.
    [​IMG]

Uncle had a '62 Ferrari Lusso in the late 70's. Same deal, pain in the ass to keep it running not practical.. sold it for $6000 in the early 80's. They fetch about 1.4-1.7 million now
    [​IMG]

My father will not sell any of his cars now

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

i never had a 300SL, but the chance to marry into one ('56 convertible). yeah, that one got away...

on the other hand i've married into a 1938 MG , a '70s Giuglia GT, an '80s 911 and some others :D
    my wife hasn't driven any of them, but FIL let me drive all but the '38 MG (it was on a lift the time i drove most others)

not mine per se (yet?), but hey, i let him ride my zero turn in return :D

BigBird likes this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

sounds like a fair trade-off. You gave him a taste of the American Dream...that's priceless :flag: :D