1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just another "buyer beware" thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Marcos415, Aug 31, 2016.

1. condon66

condon66 Member well known

2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Good luck Marcos, I dont do Facebook but I have a real strong suspicion of who the shop is.

hopefully they make it right.

3. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

How about Alec Trebek.....he is pretty smart.

I have never seen/heard him get a question wrong on Jeopardy! :D

4. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

its a long slow process.

vizsladog likes this.
  6. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

What exactly was the game plan the day you dropped it off? It's sort of unclear what you expected him to do to your bike.

I don't think I've ever dropped off a bike without clearly explaining what I'd like done and when I need it back.

7. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

So who was it? You arent doing the community any "favors" by not saying it.

Heres the deal, sometimes people fuck up. Sometimes by accident, sometimes because they are just dipshits. How you deal with mistakes puts you in one or the other category.

I had 2 R6 motors built over the winter. Both spun rod bearings within a lap. I contacted the builder and explained what we were dealing with. He sounded like he was going to puke. We made arrangements to get both bikes back to his shop (6 hours away). Both motors were torn down and the problem/cause found. Both motors were completely rebuilt with new parts top to bottom and tuned. Both bikes were delivered to my shop... timeline on the whole deal was 2 weeks and I came out of pocket zero dollars. Both motors have been flawless since.

In a case like that you just appreciate a builder who stands behind his work and never say a bad word about the guy, in fact you continue doing business with him because you know he lost his ass on the deal but still stood up and did you right.

Thats obviously not the case in your situation.

I've seen several blown motors this year and been privy to the conversations with the builders. Some of these guys are standup, some of them need to not be in business. Until people stop being scared to drop names on dirtbags good racers are going to keep getting screwed.

8. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Stay classy...

YamRZ350 likes this.
  9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Just curious, what was the cause? That's really weird.

speedluvn likes this.
  10. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

In fairness i was kinda poking with Jedb.

11. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

If there's one thing I've learned, it's never tell a shop that it's 'no rush' to get your shit done. I used to think it would get me the nice guy discount or some shit, but all it does is send your stuff to the back of the bus. I try to never farm any work out, but there are some times when it's necessary. 1st time was a fab shop that made a 1-off swingarm for me... they had the bike for 9 months. I didn't care though, their work is absolute top shelf and I did tell them it wasn't time sensitive. The other guy is the one who does my seat upholstery. Great work and great prices, but he takes forever. About the only shit I farm out now is paint work and upholstery, and now my standard answer when they ask when I need it back is 'next week'. Never happens, but my shit isn't gone for months at a time anymore either.

SnacktimeKC and BigBird like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

Names. Fred's with less without names.

13. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

What area do you live in?

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Corrected

15. SamG

SamG yellow plate for life!!

Nay, good sir. :crackup:
    [​IMG]

16. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

My experience building a club race bike with folks that are also working AMA bikes in the middle of the season is that you get what ever little leftover time is available. As I was reading your description, and I got to the "I have a track day coming up" part, I go, uh-huh, that means it just needs to run so you can win the track day, I'm going to go ahead and store some leathers on this bike until I get these racers taken care of first.

There are people who can prioritize and organize their time and communicate it as such and those that can't. If you go to a top engine builder who might build awesome engines and gets rave reviews for the power and performance, then just make sure you understand the communication side of it. If someone says their builder is super organized, keeps you up to date, and gets the job done, then use them regardless if they building the top MA bikes.

At this point, I would figure out what your expectations are, have a civilized conversation, try to frame the situation for them from your point of view, but also try and understand their constraints and side of things. With empathy for what others are dealing with and a good civil conversation, you should be able to figure out an acceptable solution. I will assume the builder won't like to disappoint a customer and will work with you. If they have no regard for your potential disappointment, then say thank you very much, get your bike, pay someone else to tune it, and consider it a lesson.

17. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Oh please tell us this was Mark Junge. Just so we can see Melka lose his shit.

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I think Mark is more than 6 hours from Youtall.

19. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Id call the builder a.s.a.p. If not melk will come up with an off the wall fucking dumb excuse of why its your fault.

20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I got this free "care package" from Geoff Maloney of GPtech, for calling it like i saw it about MJ. Geoff M called me a couple weeks ago after reading the threads. He got screwed over by him on a bike program at the Indy Motogp race when GPtech sponsored a rider and was getting a bike on the grid. He gave me the long version. he was impressed and happy someone actually said something about him.
    I don't lose my shit. I just call a spade a spade.
    Anyway, new folding levers, sweet adjuster cables, knobs and brackets .. life is good. :)
    [​IMG]

tawzx12r, G 97 and BHP41 like this.