1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jonathan Green talks to Eugene Laverty

Discussion in 'General' started by Jim McDowell, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jim McDowell

Jim McDowell Hoping to pass tech

http://speedcitypodcast.com/speedcast-68-eugene-lavery/

Good interview with Eugene Laverty after Jerez.
    Eugene says Melandri is a "dirty rider" and everybody hates racing with him.

Also, he thinks he lost his ride due to "Italian politics".

Hard to believe you can win 9 races in a season and not have a ride.

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

so what is in store for Laverty for 2014?

3. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

We're in a fucked up sport. Any other sport, teams would be falling all over themselves to sign him to multimillion multi year deals. Laverty not having a ride is fucked!

5. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Get over yourself pal. Maybe the politics are you didn't do well enough in the 2 years you were at Aprilia to keep your ride. Melandri (arguably) out rode you on an inferior bike. He's also Italian with a smokin hot GF.

6. caferace

caferace No.

Eugene has a smoking hot GF too. She's just quite proper and keeps her clothes on. :D

-jim

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

So, who is Aprilia having for their WSBK team next year?

8. HRC-E.B.

HRC-E.B. Well-Known Member

I still have a hard time believing the stuff I see on the internet sometimes!

The facts, if you bother looking at them, is that Eugene Laverty is in the very top class of riders on the World stage. He was a (very) close second to a certain Cal Crutchlow when he won the World Supersport title on a full factory Yamaha that was quicker than Laverty's Honda, and were it not for a few untimely mechanicals that year (and the following year!), he may well have been World Supersport champion in Crutchlow's place or in 2010... His results on the World Superbike Yamaha were also better than Crutchlow's the year prior, and would only have gotten better had the squad not closed shop the next year. Few would dispute the quality of Crutchlow as a rider. Laverty is very much at the same level and if you were to have put him alongside Crutchlow on the same bikes the last three seasons, I have no doubt his results would have been at least as good, if not better.

He's been the only consistent winner in World Superbike the last two years other than Sykes, Biaggi and Melandri.

If underperformance is the reason for his lost ride, how would you explain Guintoli keeping his with exactly one win on the same bike, when they sack a 9-race winner on the same bike the same season?

How a rider of such class can be rideless is mind-boggling, to say the least.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'd take Pippa over Melandris drag queen.

10. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I too would put Laverty on the bike ahead of Guintoli. But given the choice between Eugene and Marco, I would take Marco anyday and twice on Sunday. I can only guess that Silvain is cheaper than Eugene.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Laverty just finished year 2 of a 2 year contract. Did Guintoli finish year 1 of a 2 year contract or year 1 of a 1 year contract?

12. bradd15

bradd15 Well-Known Member

Melandri is a better rider period, always near the top regardless of the machinery.

13. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

As long as it isn't a Ducati.

14. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

[​IMG]

15. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Marco sure didn't outride him this year, and I am not so sure that the BMW is really an inferior bike... Last year Marco absolutely choked, Aprilia should have stuck with Laverty.

16. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

That pass on Melandri at the end of Race 1 should have been enough to keep his ride! :D

17. RevRacing

RevRacing Well-Known Member

That pass still isn't possible. Had to be an illusion. No way in hell..

18. bradd15

bradd15 Well-Known Member

take a look at the BMW machine last year compared to this year. Last year melandri pulled on the Aprilia somtimes, this year the BMW's seemed slower especially out of the corners versus the Ape. The way Melandri has ridden the R1 when it was new to him and then the BMW being fast right away is incredible.

19. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I always thought the Aprilia's problems in 2012 were due to the gear driven cams being outlawed in 2011. Biaggi's bike was smokin' fast up until they had to scrap the gear driven cams, then they seemed to have to make up for the lack of power they used to have, until they began to dial the bike back in.

20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

+10000000000