1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Rocket Leathers: Not Good For Racing Use?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Feb 22, 2002.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I've found a set of Joe Rocket "Highside" leathers for sale. Let's just say I'm not tall nor skinny, so finding rack leathers to fit has been a challenge. It appears that these may fit me well, but I am worried about their integrity vs. other brands after a fall.

Should I keep looking? Previous comments on the BBS regarding Joe Rocket leathers suggest that I do.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Don't have a Kushitani body, uh? [​IMG]

3. YamahaRick

I did, but way back in ancient history. :-(

4. huffdaddy

huffdaddy Well-Known Member

hey Rick just look at the seams and the stiching. feel inside for the seams you should be able to tell if it is triple stiched. If they look o.k. go for it you are a hard fit but lets not go changing your shape by the old asphalt grinder make sure they are true cowhide and not goat skin. Cow has a coarser grain to it.

5. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Hey Rick, give Nicky a call and ask him what he thinks. [​IMG]

6. huffdaddy

huffdaddy Well-Known Member

at least i beat you to one post tom [​IMG]

7. YamahaRick

Yeah, but I won't be riding a Gold Wing ... you see the goofiest people riding Gold Wings. They even call themselves "Wing Nuts." :)

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hey now! [​IMG]

9. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Yeah, you're getting pretty fast on those crutches old man! [​IMG]

10. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

My personal opinion is that they are Junk. keep looking.
    GStar

11. lightsmith

lightsmith Seenyer Member

JR quality control has improved dramatically over a fairly short period.

12. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Yeah, but a cheap suit will be from one from the "bad old days".

Besides that name always gave me the creeps. You want to AVOID highsides. [​IMG]

13. lightsmith

lightsmith Seenyer Member

So do you like the "Slider" better?

14. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

I like the "never had a scratch on 'em" the best. [​IMG]

15. wherewebelong

wherewebelong Well-Known Member

The custom stuff the stars get is waaaaaay different than what you will get. I think the quality sucks. Good for a street squid (slightly better than shorts and flip flops), but not up to real crashing. I wont were them even though they are Canadian made and I would love to use them.Just my humble...

16. 00RedZX-6R

00RedZX-6R Member

I have crashed in mine twice, and they held up great. No problems at all. THe stitsching is all still intact, nothing came apart. I walked away twice with only a little friction burn. I will continue to buy joe rocket.

17. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Rick, call Stokes and ask his opinion since they have sponsored for the past two years. And we all know Stokes is rough on his leatehrs. [​IMG]

18. YamahaRick

Thanks Tracee.

19. rob996

rob996 Well-Known Member

I think top of the line Joe Rocket is quite good now, but the lower end stuff is still not suitable for racing. Take those leathers to the store and compare. If they're old or not as good...

Only the Hayden's and Picotte have custom made. Weichel, Martin, Crevier, Pegram, and Szoke were all in strictly off-the-rack

20. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Rick,

Last weekend I went to the dealer show in Indy and I looked the JR suits over very carefully. I compared them to the Arlen Ness, Spidi, Corner, and any other suit I could find and I thought the JR suit compared very well. I agree a few years back the JR were crap, but they have turned a serious corner with their top stuff. If all else fails you can catch Barnacle Bill at one of the tracks and he can hook you up for around 9 bills.

Oh and by the way I saw the Crevier suit up close and it was not an off the shelf product.