1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job offer - How much to counteroffer?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

First, don’t accept new offer yet and don’t let them pressure you into deciding right away. They won’t want you to seek a counter.

Second, tell your current boss that you are thinking about a change and have an offer and ask to get their thoughts on career opportunity in your current role. If they walk you out on the spot for thinking about an offer, good riddance and they didn’t value you that much anyways.

Thirdly, if you think there’s a chance they would walk you out for having an offer, and you’re not willing to commit to leave and go to the new offer, then I might not even bring it up until you’re ready to go for sure. Each situation will be a little unique. Good luck.

OGs750 and Gorilla George like this.
  2. That's a tough one, because it depends on the state of your particular market, your skillset and how rare it is, etc.

On one hand, they might understand they need you at all costs, and make you a better offer to stay.
    OTOH, they might say "if you think you can do better elsewhere, then fuck off. There are hundreds of people that can do your job".
    So you need to know how bad they need you, before going down that road.

Best to just have a discussion about your compensation, without bringing up any other offers. Nobody likes to hear "well over there, they can...".

Before starting the drama, just make sure you are prepared to leave. Idle threats get people nowhere. Anytime I have said "this is what I expect, or I walk", I was fully prepared to walk without hesitation.

Just keep in mind, you don't want to be the guy that's been in the work force for 10 years, and has 5 different employers. Nobody expects to be somewhere forever, but at the same time, changing jobs often throws up a red flag. That is why I never leave for money. Somebody else might pay an extra $50k, or somebody else might contribute an extra 5% into your Pension, but as long as you are doing the same shit, it is all going to equal out in one way or another.

At some point whoever pays the lowest, will give a raise and catch up. Or whoever was paying the most will be hit the hardest by a downturn in the market, and will give a huge pay cut. It all works out in the end, so I never chase money. It isn't worth the hassle.

Yzasserina and OGs750 like this.
  3. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I would lay it out on how much you make now and that you dont want to move down in pay. Leave it open with the fact
    your willing to consider something above what you currently make.

If you dont get the money up front, dont expect it down the road!

Rebel635 likes this.
  4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

How did you come up with the $3 or $4 dollar per mile?
    I have a long commute, 50 miles each way, and I have heard there is some sort of calculation for distance/$ but I never found a good one.

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

IRS guidelines set mileage reimbursement at $.58/mile for 2019. Obviously, a company could agree to pay more, but ...

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That’s to compensate for vehicle expenses, not commuting time.

8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Well aware. That’s the reason I specifically point out that’s the mileage reimbursement guideline. It’d be difficult to claim 36 miles is outside of a “normal” commuter case, so not likely the ECFA would come into play. Just giving a starting point to base the negotiations off of.

9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

There is no metric, do the math. The most precious commodity is time. Up to you how you spend it.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Uhh...here? ;)

pscook likes this.
  11. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, get the $$ upfront. None of this “down the line” bs. Once they have you onboard the damn coffers close up tight.
    Pisses me off that they throw $& at people threatening to leave but got not even cost of living increases for loyal employees.

Last time I tried the nice approach. I’m not threatening to quit but I habent had a raise on x years. I hear through the grapevine that new hires with much less experience are getting hired for same or more money than me. Got the middle finger. Okay. I quit.
    Had same paying job 2 weeks later but those guys lived on the road. Sure with OT I was killing it but my social life was in the dumpster. Previous company begged me to come back. Cost them 15k extra for me to come back.
    Like someone said. Be willing to walk if making such threats.

pscook and Gorilla George like this.
  12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Well did they accept the offer?

13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:stupid:

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Also, and it may have been mentioned in here, or your other thread, but did they find you, or were you applying for the job?

@sharkattack

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It wasn't to be caged as a mileage reimbursement per se, but rather, "it's going to take this much more money overall to get me to sit my ass in traffic for about three hours. every day." This above and beyond the additional compensation for the headache involved in fixing the division that the company has let slip into disrepair.

$100-120 is roughly fair-ish, I'd say. It's about 50 or so percent of her "at work" compensation rate, since she isn't actually working, but her time isn't exactly her own to do with as she pleases, either.

Bottom line, I don't really think that it's a good fit for our current life situation anyway. Her mom's in end-of-life care and the most important thing is to make sure that she is cared for and loved in her last days.

Yzasserina likes this.
  16. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I applied via their website.

17. sharkattack

They didn’t come close to my counteroffer, so I get the pleasure of rejecting them.

18. speedluvn

Who was the company? Someone else maybe interested.

19. sharkattack

Bausch Heath, located in St. Louis, MO.

20. speedluvn

You might have just employed Wera Berber. :beer:

sharkattack likes this.