1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jennings this weekend

Discussion in 'General' started by slickp12, Jan 5, 2017.

1. slickp12

slickp12 Well-Known Member

So we are heading to Jennings this weekend and of all the weekends to be cold this happens to be it. Just curious what's the coldest temp you have ridden at Jennings and what was the grip like? Thanks

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Ive been to jennings in early feb and have had frost. Hell, had frost in daytona in 2010 right before bike week. Ccs/asra/team hammer event.

Jennings is very grippy. But gotta be a little extra cateful of course.

About 20+ of us will be there in 36 days for 3 days.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Dang just saw a high of 40s...lol. Hope you have a warm place to store your bikes without glycol! :D
    First session might be sketchy! :D If the sun comes out then all should be well.

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I'd think I'd be cancelling. Hell, i usually don't pay for the Jennings weekend til i'm halfway there from Ohio. Nothing like waiting to the last minute and the latest weather forecast.

Scheduling a trip to Jennings in early/mid january is very risque no doubt.

5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Only if you are bringing hookers or strippers with you. :p

rocalotopus likes this.
  6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think I've got some Canadian friends either on their way down or heading soon. Wife mentioned it on their FB page.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Hope you don't plan on heading through Atlanta Sunday PM..... Ice will be all over the place with our 2 Snowplows working overtime....

the muffin man likes this.
  8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Coldest I've ridden there was 29 degrees overnight and about low 50's in the day. Was quite a shock to wake up to frost all over the bikes.

First couple sessions were taking it very easy, mostly because it was hard to keep my hands warm, but once the sun came out and you got the blood flowing it was one of the best days I ever had there.

Just take a little more time to get the tires up to operating temp, even with warmers. Even with the best insulated models, they will have difficulty getting the carcass fully heated for the first couple sessions.

rk97 likes this.
  9. John Hancock

John Hancock Well-Known Member

What do u guys do to keep the water in the radiator from freezing?

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

When I was there, the temps didn't really drop low enough (for long enough) to have internal freezing issues.

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Pretty sure there were flurries at the 2007 Tally opener.

Fuggit. We rode.

12. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

You can put one of those halogen work lights under the motor and throw a big blanket over it, or you could drain and refil later. If you do end up putting glycol in be prepared to flush it a couple of times.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

And a decade later were gonna do it again! Bring firewood for the Pit!

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

You can warm up from freezing. There is no escaping heat and humidity.

Have fun. No reason to set your best lap before lunch.

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Me and two of my buds went there 2 weeks ago, was raining in the morning and everyone left before lunch. Track dried up, no one else there so clear perfect track for $130 each.

16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I use a moving blanket and a little space heater. Spread blanket over two bikes and put the heater in the middle, then I take the outside temperature sensor for the weather station and put it on the tank of one of the bikes (under the blanket, of course). I set the freeze alarm on the weather station and then go to bed, if the heater quits or the temp under that blanket gets below freezing for whatever reason it will wake me up.

TurboBlew and John Hancock like this.
  17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Words of wisdom.

18. FlynScotsman

FlynScotsman Well-Known Member

Coldest was 26 overnight and it only got above freezing around 9:30 10:00am. Took it really easy until around lunch. Like Nemesis said the hardest part was keeping my hands warm and getting some heat in the tyres.

Will9465 likes this.
  19. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

The Kawasaki Gods are mad at you Pete. For jumping ship to that R1

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I wonder if tire warmers on low would burn up if they were propped/wrapped around the radiator over night.