1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jennings GP Tire Wear

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Duracell24, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Duracell24

Duracell24 Well-Known Member

Got a tire problem/question that I'd appreciate any info on...

I went to Jennings this past weekend for a trackday. I completely wore down a Dunlop 209GPA tire in 2 days. Is this normal? It was a 190 rear on a 2006 R6 with Ohlins suspension front and rear. I ran 23 psi hot and checked it religiously. The tire was a Med/Hard compound. I wore it for 1 day at Jennings about a month ago and by the end of Saturday this past weekend the left side was shot to the point I couldn't really even flip it. I ran Tire Warmers at 175 F and put them on immediately after each session. My pace was only a 1:26-1:28 pace.

Should the tire have worn this quickly?? Everything I read says that the 209 GPA's last forever and I'd hardly call 2 days forever. Is Jennings just that hard on the left side of the tire or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for the help.

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Jennings is really harsh on tire wear. Many TD riders flip tires at mid day to even out the wear. Nothing unusual. Last time at a Jennings TD, we went thru 2 ntec and 1 spec rears in one weekend. JMO Tdub

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yeah its kinda rough around there.

4. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

What is your definition of tire wear? Reason I ask... read on below.

First off.... yes, JGP is an abrasive surface, and especially the left side due to the majority of turns being left.

Not sure how the 209GPA's wear... haven't used them.

I run takeoff's (D211 N-tec 195/55 or 60 (UK version)) from local club racers , and can run 2-3 days on them running 21/22's in the beginning, then as they wear down (to the cords... I kid you not!) can still run 24/25's. I don't intentionally run them to the cords, but dayum close everytime! I do flip them mid way through the life of the tire. I ride a 600 also.

So... I'd say it sounds as if your tire wear is prolly normal, but are they really worn down to their end? By no means, am I saying to run them to their end (like I tend to do), but I've seen so many less experienced riders talk of their tires being worn, and when I've looked at them... I've told them that if they do take 'em off... "I'll take 'em!" :)

Note: I'm not calling you inexperienced. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

They'd work forever.... if you ran a 1:39 pace with 37psi in them! :D
    Flipping gets a lil more life out of them. Just depends on how much tire
    you want to leave for the street riders!:D

6. Duracell24

SpeedyTide I appreciate the info man. I am inexperienced, this weekend at JGP was only my 4th trackday in 6th months after taking a 4 year hiatus from any motorcycle riding at all. I can easily take advice without being offended!

My definition of tire wear was the tire being worn down completely to the bar indicator on the 209 GPA's. Can I run them a good ways longer? The tire was starting to slip slightly (and I mean very slightly as I don't have the ability yet to back it in to corners) midway through the day. That also could have been due to the fact that the track temperature (I was told) was about 150 degrees....correct?

Last technical question..

7. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

For what its worth, I can waste a set of 211's during a track day. The front will be good for two days, the rear will hold up for one, if its a med., a soft will only last two sessions. And my definition of "waste" is being unable to get a decent drive because the tire just spins, or slides sideways.

8. SpeedyTide

Yes, you can still run tires beyond the wear bar indicator. That doesn't mean the tire is "done", but it usually begins to lose a little grip from that point on.

On a good hot track... it will result is a tire spinning up, or sliding a bit more.

Running the 24/25's is some to due with me easing off a bit, but mainly due to the lack of drive off the corners like sideways skinny said.

I've just ridden on worn out tires so long that I've learned to ride them with good throttle control and adjusting my lean angles as the tire wears. Fortunately for me, I haven't had any mishaps (knock on wood) as of yet.

As for the front D'lop.... I'm on my 5th day. :bow:

You should run what ever YOU'RE comfortable with. If down to the wear bar is enough you want to change out to a new tires, then that's what you should do for your peace of mind.

Johnny.... you should come out on 5/1 for the Clockwise trackday! Very cool to ride! :up:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  9. SpeedyTide

Try running 24 hot on the rear. 23psi is the norm, but many top level club racers have shared this info with me.

Like you noted... if the track was hot, then that will do it!

10. Duracell24

Thanks a lot Jeff. Running 24 psi hot on the rear...is that for better wear or more traction or both?

11. SpeedyTide

Sorry Johnny! Got ahead of myself.

Is that the correct tire pressure (23 hot) for the 209GPA rear? Never ran them, so unsure. I know it is for the 211 Ntec.

12. AeroRamer

AeroRamer Mid-life crisis is fake

+1 on Crazy SpeedyTide info.

Pics of the tire will help determine what you consider a tire problem.

I am a slow rider but I do not like to use the tires more than 3-4 TD's. They way I see it buying a new (or used) set is a good insurance and confidence keeper.

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

just to throw this out there, on the Michelin tires at JenningsGP we were lowering rear psi for the hot weather.. What was happening is the hot weather was causing the normal cold psi to rise TOO much, which in turn lead to a smaller contact patch, which cause faster tire wear/sliding around more. Lowering 3psi to start cured this to some degree. The out lap felt a bit loose as the tire would move more, but then got better and did not wear as fast from then on.

14. SpeedyTide

Good point Greg. Thanks!

15. mauroavella

mauroavella Member

I'm planning to try the P-One (B Front & C Rear), @ JGP this upcoming weekend and I'm confused about tire pressure

Michelin's web page says 30,4 PSI for the front & 21,7 for the rear. What would be your suggestions?

Also regarding flipping the tire, is it better to flip them (tyres in general) @ lunch brake or run them the whole day and then flip them? Please some help here too

Thanks

16. SpeedyTide

Check this thread over on Jennings website.

http://www.jenningsgp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19546

As for flipping the rear.... depends on your laptimes at JGP. Really quick guys prolly do flip at lunch, where as a fast Intermediate could prolly go a day before flipping. Novice s/b able to go 2 days.

Just depends on your pace & bike (600 v/s 1000).

17. mauroavella

mauroavella Member

I'm not fast, I lap @ 1:25 - 1:26 on a 600 and usually flip the tire at the end of the day but the left side is quasi slick, maybe tire pressure issues, riding style or something. I'll try flipping it mid day next time. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  18. SpeedyTide

That's a respectable time(s), so you may need to.